Ability to find things at 5

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 PrincessPeach

Posted 25 October 2019 - 11:37 AM

Question to see if this is common, or if I should be getting my kids eyes checked!

So mr 5 is terrible at finding things even when they are right in front of him, eg: give him a tray of lego blocks & he struggles to find the block you ask for, cant find shoes if they are not in the shoe box (even if they are right next to it). But is this age appropriate, or is it a symptom of something else?

#2 maryanneK

Posted 25 October 2019 - 11:47 AM

Not normal in my experience. Is it a struggle for your son to see things do you think or a struggle for him to understand/follow instructions?

#3 seayork2002

Posted 25 October 2019 - 11:47 AM

DS is 12 I could put his Christmas presents in the middle of the floor tell him where they are and he would still miss them

#4 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 25 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

I call it boy looking. DH and DS both have it. Normally when they want me ( person who is partially sighted) to hand it to them.

#5 magic_marker

Posted 25 October 2019 - 11:54 AM

There is a thing, but l can't remember what it is.
I know someone's child was being assessed for something and was asked to find the purple pencil amongst all the other colours and couldn't find it. I can't remember what the issue was though, sorry.

#6 JomoMum

Posted 25 October 2019 - 11:54 AM

Our 5yo has glasses and still struggles to find things, so it’s not necessarily vision related .. but could be?

I’ll tell him exactly where it is and he’ll just stand there and it’s like he’s looking through it lol.

#7 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:12 PM

Normal in my household..... as pp said, DS and DH.  And DD to an extent as well.

They usually see it as soon as I get up and walk halfway to wherever they are. *sigh*

Even if I've said, "in the fridge, top shelf, on the left......" - Nope, still can't find it.

Probably difficult to tell whether it is an issue over the interwebs though - if you are worried, get it checked out.

#8 José

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:39 PM

I wonder if its a receptive language problem? Id consider a language assessment by a speech pathologist.

#9 AllyK81

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:02 PM

My 5 year old DS is exactly the same. I think it is pretty usual. My DH is still like this at 39.....

#10 seayork2002

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:04 PM

Actually ask DS to get a specific collectible he will zoom in on it, find his school shoes may take till 3pm

#11 gracie1978

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:19 PM

My 5yo DS is hopeless, but still better than his 41yo father....

#12 Bereckii

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:28 PM

I tell my kids to "look" with their hands as well as their eyes.

E.g. Do *not* just stand in front of the wardrobe and *will* your school shirt to leap towards you. That is *not* the point at which you yell "Muuuuuummmm! There's no school shirts!!" No no no no no. Use your hands. And your eyes. And your brain. "That's not my school shirt, that's not my school shirt, ah, here it is!"

Tray of Lego? Where's the red block? Not that one. Not that one. Not that one. Found it!

#13 PrincessPeach

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:40 PM

Ok, so at least its withi the realms of normal. But Im going to get his vision chekced to make sure. Its seriouly frustrating here.

For a PP - its not receptive language issues, he has an expressive language delay so does see a speech therapist. He was tested 2 months ago & scored well above average for his receptive language skills.

#14 JBH

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:46 PM

A lack of effort to find things is pretty normal. An inability to do so when actually giving it proper effort is different. My son struggles to find his shoes (lack of effort), but would I imagine be very quick to find a $20 note if I said he could keep it if he found it.

#15 jayskette

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:04 PM

he has 40 odd years to catch up to my DH... haha

#16 seayork2002

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:07 PM

View PostJBH, on 25 October 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:

A lack of effort to find things is pretty normal. An inability to do so when actually giving it proper effort is different. My son struggles to find his shoes (lack of effort), but would I imagine be very quick to find a $20 note if I said he could keep it if he found it.

100% true story - we took DS to a new Target we had never been into before DH asked him 'I wonder where the toy department is?'' DS sniffed the air and pointed straight around the corner to it

#17 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:24 PM

View PostRuf~Feral~es, on 25 October 2019 - 12:12 PM, said:

Normal in my household..... as pp said, DS and DH.  And DD to an extent as well.

They usually see it as soon as I get up and walk halfway to wherever they are. *sigh*

Even if I've said, "in the fridge, top shelf, on the left......" - Nope, still can't find it.

Probably difficult to tell whether it is an issue over the interwebs though - if you are worried, get it checked out.

Same here

Edited by SM3s Fight Song, 25 October 2019 - 03:24 PM.

#18 Mmmcheese

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:13 PM

View PostJBH, on 25 October 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:

This is the key I think. There can be some visual processing issues that can cause difficulty. I think you would start with a paediatrician if you feel it is more than a motivation issue.

#19 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:50 PM

If you've not had his eyes tested before its worth having them checked anyway :)

#20 CallMeFeral

Posted 25 October 2019 - 05:53 PM

In my household they say it's not lost till mummy can't find it.

Or they sing the bit from one of the Holderness Family clips where "only mummy can find it... 'cos she's actually trying..."

So... yeah. Sometimes it's lifelong.

#21 CallMeFeral

Posted 25 October 2019 - 05:54 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=shmRqEPtOFQ

#22 PrincessPeach

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:22 PM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 25 October 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

Thats Gold!

Edited by PrincessPeach, 25 October 2019 - 07:23 PM.

#23 *Ker*

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:44 PM

Haha, it's a boy thing.

"DS, get your black cargo pants out of the dryer to wear tonight".

"They're not there".

"They are so, I put them in earlier".

"No, they're not".

I stop getting ready and go down, open the dryer. And what's in there?

Bloody annoying!

#24 Murderino

Posted 26 October 2019 - 07:19 PM

My kids’ eyes are checked frequently.

They are both terrible at finding things. The youngest came and got me at a school function last week as he had “searched” for his prize and couldn’t find it. I walked into the room he had come from and it was on the first chair in that room - took me less than one second!

My oldest is the same.

Like a PP I can direct them to exactly where something is sitting and they’ll say it’s not there - I walk in and find it in the spot I said.

My dad, my sisters and I were the same. My mum always said “if I find it I’m going to hit you with it” if she had told us where something was and we couldn’t find it, even to dad. She never did hit us with it - maybe we would have looked harder if she did once!

#25 SplashingRainbows

Posted 26 October 2019 - 08:38 PM

My kids have gotten better by me taking my sweet time to look for their stuff. Generally if it’s more convenient for them to find it quickly than nag me and wait for me to eventually bother, they get on with it.

Our 5yo was helping DH find something the other day and I thought it was very sweet when she trotted out “where did you have it last Dad”...

I do think they can be taught but 5 is youngish.

I do think if your gut is telling you there is more to it that there possibly is more to it and it’s worth getting checked out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.