First sleep over with daddy 5month

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 CoffeeGuy

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:05 PM

Finally got my baby boy for sleep over for Friday to Sunday.

At first he was fascinated by my blinds blowing in the wind.

Got him a teething toy that he seems to enjoy.

Put him in my new carrier he seems to like that although it's pretty
awkward getting him in and out.

He was fussing a few times and cried a little so I used the "hold" from this video and he was calm in seconds.

https://www.youtube....h?v=j2C8MkY7Co8

He got hungry about half an hour before mother said to feed him, he was fussing so I could tell it would be feeding time.  I made shhhh sound as I saw people using that to calm baby.

Had to calm him down with the "hold" then quickly get the battle in his mouth before he would start crying which would happen the instant you put him on his back.

Following he was fussing and crying a little so burped him.

Wrapped him up and held my hand on his chest and looked into his eyes and slowly his eyes got heavy and off to sleep he went.

He is sleeping now.

So far going really well.  Since I can easily stop his crying he does not cry much.

#2 Dadto2

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:14 PM

CoffeeGuy said:

1571994331[/url]' post='18498329']
Finally got my baby boy for sleep over for Friday to Sunday.

At first he was fascinated by my blinds blowing in the wind.

Got him a teething toy that he seems to enjoy.

Put him in my new carrier he seems to like that although it's pretty
awkward getting him in and out.

He was fussing a few times and cried a little so I used the "hold" from this video and he was calm in seconds.

https://www.youtube....h?v=j2C8MkY7Co8

He got hungry about half an hour before mother said to feed him, he was fussing so I could tell it would be feeding time.  I made shhhh sound as I saw people using that to calm baby.

Had to calm him down with the "hold" then quickly get the battle in his mouth before he would start crying which would happen the instant you put him on his back.

Following he was fussing and crying a little so burped him.

Wrapped him up and held my hand on his chest and looked into his eyes and slowly his eyes got heavy and off to sleep he went.

He is sleeping now.

So far going really well.  Since I can easily stop his crying he does not cry much.

Great mate, sounds like it went well! Are you separated?

Edited by Sandra, 25 October 2019 - 07:20 PM.
Removed quoted post that was removed

#3 literally nobody

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:24 PM

that’s great.

#4 Sweet.Pea

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:37 PM

How does he usually sleep at his Mums?

I say this with good intentions, but try not to get too confident. A 5 month old can go from sweet baby sleeping to red faced devil in 10 seconds.

Because they can't talk you can be trying to burp them when they need a foot scratched, which sets them off more.

Hopefully he stays settled but don't be too discouraged if he doesn't. Sometimes you just need to hold them, pat them and keep walking up and down (some of them can sense when you sit down).

#5 lozoodle

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:42 PM

That sounds great, hope you have a nice night with him :)

#6 Crazyone26989

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:43 PM

View PostSweet.Pea, on 25 October 2019 - 07:37 PM, said:

I say this with good intentions, but try not to get too confident. A 5 month old can go from sweet baby sleeping to red faced devil in 10 seconds.

Because they can't talk you can be trying to burp them when they need a foot scratched, which sets them off more.

Hopefully he stays settled but don't be too discouraged if he doesn't. Sometimes you just need to hold them, pat them and keep walking up and down (some of them can sense when you sit down).

Absolutely this. And I see you’ve met my 3 month old, Sweet Pea. The kid has an inbuilt sensor to tell when the person holding him sits down!

Edited by Crazyone26989, 25 October 2019 - 07:43 PM.

#7 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:55 PM

View PostSweet.Pea, on 25 October 2019 - 07:37 PM, said:

I was thinking this.  Not so fond memories.  DD was a terror at night.  

I hope it goes well OP.

#8 WallyWoo

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:04 PM

I hope the rest of the night goes well for you. It sounds like you’re both doing really well.

My baby isn’t much older than yours and some nights are great, some are really hard. My eldest is 8 and over the years I’ve called parenting helplines for advice and reassurance when on my own and feeling overwhelmed. Might be an idea to to have a number you can call handy in case you feel like you need it. That first night on your own is hard!

#9 WaitForMe

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:05 PM

Aww, sounds so sweet.

Glad to hear its going so well.

#10 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:08 PM

View PostWallyWoo, on 25 October 2019 - 08:04 PM, said:

I hope the rest of the night goes well for you. It sounds like you’re both doing really well.

My baby isn’t much older than yours and some nights are great, some are really hard. My eldest is 8 and over the years I’ve called parenting helplines for advice and reassurance when on my own and feeling overwhelmed. Might be an idea to to have a number you can call handy in case you feel like you need it. That first night on your own is hard!

Great idea.  There's also health direct if bub gets sick but doesn't seem like they need urgent attention. I've found them helpful when I was unsure about one of the kids illnesses.  https://www.healthdi...v.au/contact-us

#11 Lifesgood

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:17 PM

Good luck OP. I hope things continue smoothly for you and your DS.

#12 CoffeeGuy

Posted 26 October 2019 - 06:10 AM

Baby has always been pretty good at night except when he got a cold.  He goes to sleep if you wrap him up and put dummy in his mouth, no crying.  Just off to sleep.

Feed at 12:30am
He was up this morning 4am for a nappy change.
Feed at 5:30am.
Poop at 6:30am, it was yuck.
He is wrapped up with his dummy while I am eating my breakfast.

Bit I'm a bit tired from disturbed sleep.  I'll try having a nap when he goes to sleep tonight.  See if that helps.

Minimal crying and when he cries I just stop it in a few seconds.

Mother and me are not together.

Edited by CoffeeGuy, 26 October 2019 - 06:13 AM.

#13 Silverstreak

Posted 26 October 2019 - 06:52 AM

Oh yes, if you can sleep when the baby sleeps, that's always a winner! Sleep is king, as they say. I would organise bottles of formula, to be heated when the baby woke and then lie down.

Sounds like you are doing really well, well done.

Babies will generally gradually organise themselves into two day naps, then one day nap, which will make things more predictable.

If you have a pram, pop him into the pram at some point and go for a walk to a favourite cafe, if you can.

I forgot to mention, a see through plastic pram rain cover is great for when it's raining. I'd wear a hoodie and rug DS up and we would go out in all weathers, unless it was bucketing down. It's good to get out and about in the fresh air, it can stave off boredom and helps with tiredness as well.

#14 CoffeeGuy

Posted 26 October 2019 - 09:58 AM

Baby had a sleep and was fed.

He was fussing probably because he was overstimulated so I wrapped him up and put him down.

Now he is fussing and I think it is because of his teething as he is putting he is crewing on his hands and making strange baby fussing sounds.

I gave him a teething toy which is chewing on.  Hopefully he calms down.

I was a bit frustrated by him fussing so I wrapped him up and put him down.  Went for a walk around the house and his baby noises don't appear to carry through the house.  I probably won't get any noise complaints.  I'll know when I ask.

Edited by CoffeeGuy, 26 October 2019 - 10:01 AM.

#15 CoffeeGuy

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:03 AM

View PostCrazyone26989, on 25 October 2019 - 07:43 PM, said:

Absolutely this. And I see you’ve met my 3 month old, Sweet Pea. The kid has an inbuilt sensor to tell when the person holding him sits down!

Yeah my baby knows when you sit down, it kept his mother up and moving.

#16 BusbyWilkes

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:16 AM

Glad to hear that things are mostly going well.

If you're tired after a day, you can probably empathise with how tired his mum is after 5 months without a break.

It would be great for you both to get fresh air too. Go for a walk. Take a blanket to a park (or the backyard if you have one) and let him lay down, unwrapped for a "play". Talk to him, let him look around.

#17 CoffeeGuy

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:37 AM

Found out what his problem was when I gave him a bath.  He had done a poo ahah.

Still teething but he seems to have calmed down.

I'll take him for a walk in the carrier.  It's windy and looks like a storm is coming so better get out there before it rains.

Yep it's pretty tiring looking after a baby.

Edited by CoffeeGuy, 26 October 2019 - 10:37 AM.

#18 Apageintime

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:40 AM

5 months is when babies discover their mouths. Their saliva goes a lot.

Don't assume random things are teething. It's unlikely for a baby to get teeth so early.

#19 Expelliarmus

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:57 AM

The first thing to check if he is fussing is the nappy for a poo ;)

#20 Sweet.Pea

Posted 26 October 2019 - 11:12 AM

Perhaps you could lay a blanket down and give him tummy time to change it up?

You just put a blanket on the floor, put him on there on his tummy and then wave toys above to encourage him to lift his head. It strengthens their neck muscles so they can sit and crawl later.

#21 cvbn

Posted 26 October 2019 - 11:20 AM

With my babies, I found if I took their nappy off and let them have no-nappy time they always cheered up.

Put a big folded towel down and make sure it is warm, make sure you supervise.

Good luck!

#22 Ivy Ivy

Posted 26 October 2019 - 11:35 AM

You are doing well.
I'd definitely second the rest/sleep/lie down when the baby sleeps, night and day, if you're tired.

#23 Sancti-claws

Posted 26 October 2019 - 11:51 AM

View PostApageintime, on 26 October 2019 - 10:40 AM, said:

5 months is when babies discover their mouths. Their saliva goes a lot.

Don't assume random things are teething. It's unlikely for a baby to get teeth so early.
Teeth move around a lot before they come through...

#24 lizzybirdsworth

Posted 26 October 2019 - 12:54 PM

My 3rd got his first when he was 5 months so it’s reasonable to think teeth from 5 months onwards with a lot of babies getting the first at 6-8 months.
You are doing a great job. If you feel frustrated when baby doesn’t settle (which is very normal for a parent), remove yourself for a few minutes and calm yourself and try again. Baby will be safe for a few minutes in a cot crying and they can feel when you are tense and it can be harder to calm baby down.

#25 CoffeeGuy

Posted 26 October 2019 - 01:10 PM

View Postlizzybirdsworth, on 26 October 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

My 3rd got his first when he was 5 months so it’s reasonable to think teeth from 5 months onwards with a lot of babies getting the first at 6-8 months.
You are doing a great job. If you feel frustrated when baby doesn’t settle (which is very normal for a parent), remove yourself for a few minutes and calm yourself and try again. Baby will be safe for a few minutes in a cot crying and they can feel when you are tense and it can be harder to calm baby down.

I've found that a couple times when he was fussing and I went for a walk, when I got back he had calmed himself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.