First sleep over with daddy 5month

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#76 ~Kay~

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:45 PM

Coffee guy

You could try calling the Family Referral Service. They can link you in to support services in your area.

http://www.familyref...m.au/about.html

1300 006 480

#77 Blue Shoe

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:52 PM

It’s fantastic that you’re really listening to the advice here OP. Parenting is a huge adjustment and it takes time to feel like you know what you’re doing.

A few random things - from what I’ve read I don’t think you have anything that your DS can sit upright in, like a bouncer or stroller? Something like that can really help a small child (who can’t sit up independently yet) to be more able to interact. If they’re only lying down or being held it’s harder for them to interact with the world and look at you properly. Something like a high chair with harness and enough support would also do, and you will need something like that soon. You can strap your DS in the stroller in the house as somewhere to sit him upright - just not for too long.
Do keep putting him on the floor for “tummy time”, even if he doesn’t seem to like it. If you can get a child safe mirror (like the ones they use in cars for rear-facing seats) prop it against the wall in front of him to look at his reflection. The bed is softer but he will sink into it a bit which will make it harder for him to start moving himself around a bit. He needs the opportunity to develop all his muscles and learn how to move his body, so he can learn to roll and eventually sit and crawl.
Also, in terms of toys etc to entertain him, you don’t need anything fancy. As a PP mentioned, putting something (Dry pasta, cereal, crinkly paper) in an empty bottled water bottle makes an easy toy they can shake. Just make sure you screw the lid on very tightly as it could be a choking hazard (I always put a bit of superglue to make sure it couldn’t come undone).
Just be aware of the risk factors with anything you give a baby - anything that can fit into an old-style film canister (not sure what the best contemporary comparison object would be??) is considered a choking hazard. And if a toy or object has batteries make sure the battery compartment has a screw holding it shut. Button batteries like you have in a watch are particularly dangerous with small kids so keep any objects with them way out of the baby’s reach as he gets bigger.
Check your house for loose cords like on blinds - those are a strangulation hazard. Most toys with strings now days have to have very short strings to reduce the strangulation risk, but still don’t let your DS play with them unsupervised or have them in his bed. General rule for safe sleeping is no toys in the bed at that age, I believe.
When you start to give your DS solids, there is plenty of information online about which foods you need to be careful with - items like grapes and cherry tomatoes must be cut up as their diameter is the size that can block the airway. Same for sausages etc. Just a quick google first, or asking here. I have learned so much from EB, so you’ve come to a great place with your questions.

#78 IamOzgirl

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:18 PM

Coffee guy, you have done great!

Hands up Eb'ers how many of your men would have either gone to their mum's or had her come over??

#79 Ellie bean

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:21 PM

^^not mine and especially not after only 2 nights frankly!

#80 Freddie'sMum

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:22 PM

To answer the question above - DH couldn't take baby to Mum / MIL.  Both our families are in NZ and when my best friend visited when DD#1 was about 3 months old, he had a whole day looking after her while I showed her the sights of Sydney.

DH was SO happy when we walked back in the door that night. He was exhausted !

Coffee Guy - do try and get some IRL support.  Babies are hard work. And do keep coming back here with any questions you have - it's been years since our two were babies, but there are plenty of parents who have babies the same age as your little one and are in the trenches with you.

#81 Mrs Zee

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:27 PM

View PostIamOzgirl, on 28 October 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

Hands up Eb'ers how many of your men would have either gone to their mum's or had her come over??

Yeah not here either. All DH's family are overseas. Please stop playing into the whole "men are clueless" when it comes to raising their own children.

#82 Expelliarmus

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:29 PM

Mine neither.

#83 Lou-bags

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:31 PM

Mine, probably. But I had my mum over the first time I was alone with my DS1 for an entire night without DH. He was only 7 weeks old though. I think it’s ok to know when you need support. (I do know what you mean though).

#84 foom

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:34 PM

Coffee Guy if you do go into your local library ask the librarians about what's on for babies. Our local one runs a special baby session where you sing nursery rhymes, etc with the baby. Might be a bit tricky timing wise (often they are designed for stay at home parents). Every librarian I know sees starting kids off with language, rhyme, songs, etc as early as possible is really important for their reading later, so you aren't 'wasting their time' if you ask them about resources for babies and toddlers.

#85 IamOzgirl

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:50 PM

View PostMrs Zee, on 28 October 2019 - 09:27 PM, said:

Yeah not here either. All DH's family are overseas. Please stop playing into the whole "men are clueless" when it comes to raising their own children.

Did I say that all men are clueless?

Just tying to support the OP in the fact that parenting a child alone is hard work.

#86 gatheringpieces

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:45 PM

Check out  both the Newcastle & Lake Mac library pages for some.activity ideas

When bub starts crawling there's a lovely softplay area at Newcastle Museum too :)

#87 Crazyone26989

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:08 AM

Nope. I get you were trying to say how hard looking after a baby is but that’s the case for men and women....

#88 rubyskye

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:33 AM

View PostMrs Zee, on 28 October 2019 - 09:27 PM, said:

This.

Edited by rubyskye, 29 October 2019 - 06:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.