Weight/eating.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jasperaliyana2729

Posted 27 October 2019 - 08:20 PM

Hi.
I've been really obsessing over my 3.5 year olds weight lately. His quite tall but very slim. He barely eats snacks a lot no proper meals and no meat or veg (except at school of course) obviously this is something that I will take to my GP and see if there is any concerns but just wondering how much everyone else's 3.5 year olds weigh and if anyone with children who are very fussy eater like mine give them any kind of supplement or any tips for fussy eaters/ easy kid friendly meals

#2 Hands Up

Posted 27 October 2019 - 08:51 PM

What is his percentile of weight versus height?

#3 alfoil hat

Posted 27 October 2019 - 09:46 PM

We have recently identified DD has a problem with gluten (with medical advice) so she’s recently piled on the weight but before that she was off the charts small. She’s almost 3.5 and now weighs 13.1kg. Before we found out about the gluten she was extremely fussy with what she ate, in hindsight I think it may have been aversions from feeling sick all the time. 3 months later she’s eating so much more variety. Previously I gave her cream with every meal, all the cheese she could handle and spoonfuls of peanut butter to try to get calories into her. I guess this is anecdata though,Ike PP said, where does he fall on the growth charts?

#4 avocado toast

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:31 AM

what percentile is he on the growth chart?

https://www.rch.org..../Growth_charts/

My 3.5 year old is 13kg and she’s on the 25th percentile so nothing to be concerned about.

If he prefers snacking just make sure the snacks cover all the main food groups and include some extra fat, butter, olive oil, avocado in the things you prepare etc for extra calories

#5 Zippypeaks

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:54 AM

My 3.5yo is 17kgs and 110cm. I look at his intake over a whole 24hours, not individual snacks/meals. He goes through phases of eating minimal amounts and during this time I prioritise healthier options. Never tried supplements, but I use his mood and energy levels to guide what I offer him. I quite like the One Handed Cooks approach to eating with children, loads of recipe ideas too!

#6 AllyK81

Posted 28 October 2019 - 06:50 AM

I can’t comment on his weight or height as there are charts for that.

Most kids go through fussy phases. If he is eating meat and vegetables at daycare there seems no reason he shouldn’t be eating well at home.

When our kids went through fussy phases we cut out snacking so they were super hungry by dinner time and would eat literally anything we put in front of them.

If they want to snack now the only option is fruit.

Go heavy on things like avocado, butter, eggs etc. If he can have nuts there are plenty of good snacks you can make with blitzed up nuts. Chia mousse is good.

All that said, kids are pretty good at regulating what they eat depending on if they are growing or not.

So long as your GP is happy don’t stress too much. Some weeks DS is eating 4 eggs and 2 weetbix for breakfast. Others it’s just 2 eggs. They know what they need.

#7 eddieduexsox

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:19 AM

AllyK81, on 28 October 2019 - 06:50 AM, said:

All that said, kids are pretty good at regulating what they eat depending on if they are growing or not.

So true

#8 doubledelight

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:34 AM

When my first was this age he was very slight and was a fussy small eater.  Being a first time Mum I was sure he'd end up malnourished.  My wonderful GP explained that if a child was active and alert then there needs were being met and eating and nutrition were as individual as people were.  If his behaviour changed or his weight dropped then be concerned but just to continue to offer food.

My youngest is a prem and has always been tiny and even at 14 he's little but he eats a varied diet.  He tends to graze rather than have a set meal eating schedule.

#9 Aurorasky

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:04 AM

Kids develop by following hunger cues. We are all born being able to regulate hunger. Then as we grow it seems we lose a lot of this a due to our social and cultural influences.  
My advice would be to stop worrying. You don't want to project these concerns onto him. He might actually be just growing taller as opposed to fat gain right now. I believe kids do go through different growth phases. Just ensure there is fruit, veg, lentils, beans, nuts, etc, unprocessed meat, eggs (if you eat those) there available for when he is hungry. Then allow him to eat as and when he pleases.

#10 PrincessPeach

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:09 PM

View PostAurorasky, on 18 November 2019 - 08:04 AM, said:

Kids develop by following hunger cues. We are all born being able to regulate hunger. Then as we grow it seems we lose a lot of this a due to our social and cultural influences.  
My advice would be to stop worrying. You don't want to project these concerns onto him. He might actually be just growing taller as opposed to fat gain right now. I believe kids do go through different growth phases. Just ensure there is fruit, veg, lentils, beans, nuts, etc, unprocessed meat, eggs (if you eat those) there available for when he is hungry. Then allow him to eat as and when he pleases.

Low GI carbohydrates as well, so oats, wholegrain/wholemeal pastas & bread also are necessary for growing kids

#11 boatiebabe

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:28 PM

I have a child who has always been able to self regulate with food. He is 13 now.

He has always been "skinny" although I think he is so often compared to kids who weigh more than they really should, that that is an unfair thing to call him.

He is just really trim and fit and built for being active.

He was never much into snacks - just meals and even then he could take it or leave it. Never overate and I never forced him to eat.

I always offered healthy and nutritious foods to him (I didn't pander to fussy eating) and when he was hungry he ate them.

He is a great healthy eater now and I think will be for life.

You really don't need to eat huge quantities of food to be well nourished.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.