Book recommendations (diary memoir types)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 seayork2002

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:38 AM

I am reading Adam Kay's diary of being a NHS doctor and I have just bought the Christmas one, I have also read holiday SOS by a repat doctor.

They do not have to be medical related nor actual diaries but does anyone have any great suggestions on similar books that are funny/serious all mixed in, even very good fiction ones please

#2 Ozquoll

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:01 AM

Anything to Declare? By Jon Frost (memoir of a customs officer)

Unnatural Causes by Dr Richard Shepherd (memoir of a pathologist)

Slightly off the terms of reference, but the Lark Rise to Candleford trilogy by Flora Thompson is a lightly fictionalised memoir of the author's experience growing up in a rural hamlet in Oxfordshire in the 1880-90s. It is very interesting and occasionally very funny.

#3 Riotproof

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:05 AM

I haven’t read it yet, but the prologue was very good. I heard her being interviewed about and it sounds fascinating. https://www.simonand...y/9781925791358

You could also try listening to the conversations podcast. I often find books I want to read from there, and they are often bios.

#4 RichardParker

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:23 AM

"Educated" by Tara Westover.  She was raised by prepper Mormons and homeschooled (barely), but made her way to Cambridge on her own steam.

#5 Grinchette

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:31 PM

The Barefoot Surgeon - Dr Ruit (Fred Hollow's protege in Nepal)

Walking Free by  - Brilliant Sydney Orthopaedic Surgeon Munjed Al Muderis who originally fled to Australia by boat from Iraq.  Awesome read.

Edited by Gumbette, 01 November 2019 - 12:33 PM.

#6 carls888

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:48 PM

I loved Educated. Crazy amazing story written very well.
Michelle Obama's Becoming was really good.
I also really enjoyed Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis : the untold story by Barbara Leaming.

#7 JBH

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:55 PM

Danger Music by Eddie Ayers

#8 Norma-Bean Baker

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:18 PM

Sex, Drugs and the Electoral Roll - Fiona Patten
Because we are bad - Lily Bailey

#9 cvbn

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:26 PM

I am really tired, I thought it said 'dirty memoir types' :huh:

​(I am a little disappointed)

#10 jayskette

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:33 PM

anything by Cathy Glass

#11 Caribou

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:34 PM

The Gap

#12 Ozquoll

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:07 PM

I am greatly enjoying "Maybe you should talk to someone" by Lori Gottlieb. It's about a therapist who needs to see a therapist herself, but don't let that put you off - it is actually funny, interesting and occasionally heart-wrenching.

#13 EsmeLennox

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:40 PM

The Erratics by Vicki Laveau-Harvie

#14 Evra

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:43 AM

About a Girl by Rebekah Robertson (Georgie Stone’s Mum)

#15 just roses

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:33 AM

Lemn Sissay’s memoir ‘My Name is Why’ is extraordinary. An incredible and heartbreaking story, beautifully told.

#16 71Cath

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:48 AM

I enjoyed Reckoning by Magda Szubanski and Bridge Burning and Other Hobbies by Kitty Flanagan.

#17 born.a.girl

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:10 AM

Not recent, but something made me read 'From a clear blue sky' recently.

It's about the terrorist murder of Mountbatten, several of his relatives, a local boy.

It's written by one of his grandsons many decades later. The boy was one of the ones injured, his identical twin died. They were 11.

Interesting because it covers so much ground: growing up extremely privileged and not really realising the extent until adulthood.  The troubles.  PTSD - neither he nor his parents (who were both severely injured) got to go to Mountbatten's funeral, or for the writer more crucially, the funeral of his twin.

Having only just got to Ireland last year, and as a result being more interested in the history, I really enjoyed it, if you can say that about such an awful event.

#18 **Xena**

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:17 PM

My husband really enjoyed "Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs... She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse"

Edited by **Xena**, 04 December 2019 - 10:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.