Overseas ebook libraries

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 peachkoala

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:42 AM

I purchased a membership with the Free Library of Philadelphia in January this year and have been loving the access to so many books to borrow. Sadly they will no longer be offering paid library cards.

I know of Orange County library cards, but that one is 125us a year compared to 50us a year with the philly library.

Does anyone know any other good paid library cards overseas that offer a lot of books?

I find the Australian libraries to be very lacking in their selection. My local library has a terrible ebook selection. The one near my mum is better, but still lacking compared to the USA ones.

#2 ilovethebeach

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:15 AM

Following

#3 IamtheMumma

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:25 AM

Overseas libraries didn't occur to me. I do agree that local libraries are lacking in their ebooks. I joined the state lib (QLD) to get access to some books.

#4 4*shining*stars

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:40 AM

I too got that email this morning. I am devastated!

I joined as I could get books direct to my Kindle, I don't know of any others that do this. Hopefully there will be another one out there somewhere!

My local library does lend ebooks, but I have to read them on my phone or tablet, unless I buy a Kobo.

#5 peachkoala

Posted 02 November 2019 - 04:07 PM

I was very disappointed when I got that email this morning. I have found that it will be cheaper for me to buy the books that my library does not have compared to the yearly cost of the library card for the Orange County library!

If anyone is in Melbourne, I have found that the eastern regional libraries has a good selection of books. As my mum lives that way I passed and got myself a card when I was in the area a few years ago.

I have a Kobo, so I find borrowing using that very easy as the newer kobos, the books automatically download onto the kobo.

#6 4*shining*stars

Posted 02 November 2019 - 05:26 PM

At least you can still get some library books on your ereader!

I have sent a couple of emails to some US libraries that offer Out Of State paid memberships to see if they will issue to outside of the US.

Will post here if I find somewhere that will :)

#7 IamzFeralz

Posted 02 November 2019 - 06:13 PM

Apparently there is some ongoing dispute in the US between Macmillan and libraries over how much they should pay for ebooks and Macmillan has put an embargo over selling to libraries.  That might be the reason behind Philadelphia’s decision?

https://bookriot.com...ebook-embargos/

#8 kimasa

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:10 PM

View PostIamzFeralz, on 02 November 2019 - 06:13 PM, said:

Apparently there is some ongoing dispute in the US between Macmillan and libraries over how much they should pay for ebooks and Macmillan has put an embargo over selling to libraries.  That might be the reason behind Philadelphia’s decision?

https://bookriot.com...ebook-embargos/

This is definitely it, this is huge.

The tl;dr of it is that Australian libraries have relatively poor selection because the publishers (not just Pan Macmillan) have always had us on this. The US is really the anomaly as far as lending ebooks goes and now they're being brought in line with the same tight restrictions that the rest of the world is on and they're not happy.

I fully agree that the US should fight against it, but international usage is actually one of the issues Pan Macmillan have brought up.

#9 kimasa

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:12 PM

BTW, as far as Australian libraries go, a PP who mentioned ERL is on the right track. Go for the library corporations rather than the single-council owned services, they have loads more money and can pay more of the high fees lending ebooks cost.

#10 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:53 PM

ERL is great. It's the main one I use. (I don't use international libraries.)

#11 Rainyeyes

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:59 PM

I use an App called Overdrive and was able to use my usual council library card number to access ebooks I think its just from the state library and while they don't have everything I have found they have a good selection of books I like to read

#12 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:07 PM

Orange county and Philly are the only ones. I'm a member of both. Have been for years.

Take a look a open library. https://openlibrary.org

Edited by ImperatorFuriosa, 02 November 2019 - 09:07 PM.

#13 4*shining*stars

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:15 PM

View PostImperatorFuriosa, on 02 November 2019 - 09:07 PM, said:

Orange county and Philly are the only ones. I'm a member of both. Have been for years.

Is Orange County worth the nearly triple price tag? And I assume I can get Kindle books the same as Philly?

#14 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:17 PM

View Post4*shining*stars, on 02 November 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

Is Orange County worth the nearly triple price tag? And I assume I can get Kindle books the same as Philly?

Orange county is way better than Philly. Yes you can get kindle books.

#15 4*shining*stars

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:18 AM

I have had some replies!

As expected, most said no to international memberships, but I got 1 yes!

The Enoch Pratt Free Library will do paid cards at $50US per year. You just fill out the Out of State application on their website :)

#16 peachkoala

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for that. I will keep that library in mind when my card expires in January. Between now and then I have to up my reading to try and read the books that my library does not have!

#17 byjingo

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:43 AM

View PostImperatorFuriosa, on 02 November 2019 - 09:07 PM, said:

Wow, I’m reading an actual book that someone has taken the time to scan each page! Thanks for the tip!

I tried to do a search for overseas libraries I could join, but didn’t get very far!

I currently switch between using Overdrive (local library), Amazon prime reading, and Apple Books, so it’s good to have something else for when I just need to read for free :)

#18 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 03 November 2019 - 01:10 PM

View Postbyjingo, on 03 November 2019 - 11:43 AM, said:

Wow, I’m reading an actual book that someone has taken the time to scan each page! Thanks for the tip!

I tried to do a search for overseas libraries I could join, but didn’t get very far!

I currently switch between using Overdrive (local library), Amazon prime reading, and Apple Books, so it’s good to have something else for when I just need to read for free :)

I have been using open library on and off for years. It's a great source for old or book that don't get printed anymore.

My state's overdrive library isn't very good. Lots of thrillers most of the time I'm not interested in reading. There is a borrowbox library as well but it's pure torture trying to navigate the site.

I pretty much use Orange County and open library once in a while.

#19 kimasa

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:21 PM

The actual ebook provider (Overdrive/Borrowbox/Axis360/Wheelers/and so on) doesn't really matter (outside of navigation). As an example, some libraries will have great Overdrive collections, some will suck.

The way it works is the library pays to have a subscription with one of these providers that provide the program/app. The actual content is an extra cost and is at the discretion of the service, influenced by their loan statistics and budget. Every single ebook purchased (with the exception of the really weird unheard of ones that we all get as "bonuses" that very few people borrow) has it's own cost and is only valid for either a certain number of loans or a time increment, depending on publisher. The cost in Australia is sometimes on par with a print copy. In the US it's significantly cheaper and they last longer, which is why they have much larger collections.

At my work most of ours are bought in "sets" of similar books because you get a slight discount that way, and if the reservations on them get long we purchase additional copies (our longest list is The Barefoot Investor, we currently own 23 ecopies at full print RRP and the wait is still blown out).

Other services cherrypick titles based upon what actually loans, lending ebooks is a very expensive service because you need to keep repurchasing, and pay the "overheads" in addition, and some services just do not have the money to provide a big service.

Actually a good example is that my service and our neighbouring service use the same provider and most of our customers switch between the two because despite us having the exact same app, the content is completely different, which is fantastic because it means we don't need to provide it all, we can split it 50/50.

So I guess another tip is when you're on that initial login screen where you have to select your service from a drop down menu, have a look and see who else is on there, because despite using the same app the books available will differ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.