Ideas please - 9 y/o boy gifts

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Lifesgood

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:23 PM

Help! My DS is having a 9th birthday party shortly and people are asking for gift ideas for him. I'm stumped. He isn't into anything apart from playing on the iPad. I have asked one person to get him books from a new series we are trying out. What else?

Guidelines are:
- must be inexpensive ($15-30)
- must be small in size (no large boxes/plastic crap)
- no Lego (he hates it)

#2 **Xena**

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:33 PM

My son's usually just like EB gift cards or money and books. I found from around that age my kids were more interested in saving for a good quality item than in lots of little presents.

#3 *BellBird*

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:45 PM

Books here, board games, paper aeroplane & other flying craft. The Klutz people make lots of good stuff. DS really loves where’s Wally at the moment too. Stuff like Ts & hats can be a good present for kids that age & can be in the price range.

#4 Poughkeepsie

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:47 PM

Sports equipment?

#5 JBH

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:06 PM

I asked my son of similar age what he would like and he said - Slime, glitter gel pens, a Rubik’s cube, and as many tech decks as possible.

#6 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:08 PM

PJs, T shirts, cool socks, wallets, sunglasses, hoodies etc

#7 BECZ

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:13 PM

Would he use a Meccano set?  You can get some basic ones under $30.
Otherwise cubes beyond the basic 3x3.  There are lots out there these days.

#8 Smoo

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:12 PM

Have you considered using one of the gift contribution apps and asking for contributions to one big present? I think purposit is one of the bigger ones.

We're struggling with DS - we got 3 of the same present this year so we're looking at doing that for his next birthday.

#9 SplashingRainbows

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:21 PM

My 9yo has just devoured the Diary of a Wimpy Kid book series. As in read 13 books in 13 days.
So possibly that may be a hit if he hasn’t read it already.

Gift cards / movie tickets

Colouring / drawing stuff

Science stuff? Like from National Geographic

Paper aeroplane making kits. My kids had a good one recently that was lots of fun. It was hard enough to be challenging for my son.

I wish I had the guts to have a fiver party. Where everyone gives $5 to the birthday kid instead of a present. Kid gets $50 to spend and parents aren’t spending a fortune on landfill. I think it’s a fab idea I just can’t bring myself to do it.

#10 BRB

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:07 PM

DS is about to turn 9 and my suggestion to friends is...
Football
Twister board game
Ball on string (he likes those balls that bounce back and he can kick)
Anything Harry Potter (new interest since teacher has started reading the book in class)
Ninja kid books
Dog Man books
Lonely Plant world atlas book
Anything STEM

#11 Babetty

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:38 AM

We've had success with favourite game tie-in stuff - fortnite tshirt, Pokemon stuffed toy, figurines etc

Harry Potter tshirt was also very popular.

ETA beach towel, pool toys if you have a pool

Edited by Babetty, 06 November 2019 - 06:39 AM.

#12 yule_maiden

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:53 AM

The how to Minecraft books that you can get from target/big w for $10 each if he plays Minecraft. If you get the same one,  you can swap it for another in the series.

#13 Flutteby

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:56 AM

My 9 year old loves his new books,  especially his new joke book. He was also given money and saved up for a new Switch game. Bit more expensive but the Brain Box electronics kit is also a hit. Friends birthdays have mainly asked for money to save up for something. I'm quite happy to stick $20 in a card!

#14 Flutteby

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:10 AM

Other things my 9 year old enjoys that would fit the price range are 500+ jigsaw puzzles, board games especially cluedo and Mario monopoly, Rubiks cube, character PJs, bag tags for his school bag.

#15 Babetty

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:48 AM

9 / 10 was when DS started getting EB / other gift cards (EB Games, the "other" EB in our life!). As he's always trying to save up for new headphones / new game / new switch case it's been great.

I used to think gift cards were a bit of a cop out present, but it's less clutter and helping DS develop a sense of saving and helping him get what he really wants, so they're now a great present in my mind!

#16 SplashingRainbows

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:49 AM

Oh joke books - yes my kid has been into those all year.

And puzzles is another one that would go down well here too.

#17 Riotproof

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:48 AM

Puzzles maybe?

#18 Bigbaubles

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:32 AM

Books, Movie voucher, iTunes voucher, stuff from Zing?
Board games, nerf stuff?

#19 Threelittleducks

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:50 AM

Some friends of ours recently selected a charity that their child was interested in (tiger conservation) and everyone donated $5-10.

#20 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:02 AM

Board games, EB games vouchers, itunes voucher, books, puzzles, both my boys at that age still like matchbox cars, card games, board games

#21 eachschoolholidays

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:03 AM

Mine loves anything from smiggle and science / national geographic kits

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.