Santa Photos

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 Lou-bags

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:25 PM

Ohhhhhh boy. Well, I have done them in the past when the kids were willing (they have mostly not wanted to).

Last year, bloody Santa called my then 5yo a little brat, made a ‘joke’ about the helpers pulling down his pants and said his being a brat was the reason why ‘your mum has trouble with you’. Oh and he poked his tongue out at my child (who did return the gesture...).

He was not being a brat (I realise that there will be some who won’t believe me, mums are unreliable witnesses so to speak), he just didn’t want to have a photo and said so, then ignored Santa once he started applying pressure. I should have walked away sooner but I was frozen in shock.

So we won’t be even trying this year!!

Edited by Lou-bags, 06 November 2019 - 06:25 PM.

#27 Murderino

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:28 PM

I have them for every year but one since my oldest was born - the year she was 18mo she was terrified. I couldn’t even walk past the Santa spot in the shopping centre or she’d scream even though I didn’t slow down. Like a PP I hate the scared/crying kid pics.

When she was 2.5yo she wanted the photo but not to sit beside him so I’m beside Santa with my youngest (6mo) on my lap and her beside me.

We do the free Harvey Norman one and they’re across the road from my workplace so it’s no hassle going back to collect it.

I have it as one of the activities in our advent calendar.

#28 gracie1978

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:33 PM

Nope, too much effort and money.  We always get a cute one at the daycare Christmas party.
Got an awesome one at the Christmas storytime at the library last year.

5yo DS would have way too many questions for a mall Santa.

I'm pretty sure I can avoid the shops between now and February bought the last of the back to school gear today

#29 Murderino

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:41 PM

To the PP who mentioned avoiding the, so there’d be no questions from their child I just told mine from the start they were helpers as Santa couldn’t be everywhere I’m the lead up to Christmas.

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 06 November 2019 - 05:48 PM, said:

My 6yo worked it out this year and my 8yo worked it out ages ago :(   I must be raising skeptics!

My youngest has never really believed - from as early as four he was saying Santa’s not real and I just told him he didn’t have to believe but he couldn’t ruin it for anyone else. He directly asked me to confirm it last year.

My oldest chooses to still believe, I am 90% certain she does know.

View PostLou-bags, on 06 November 2019 - 06:25 PM, said:

Ohhhhhh boy. Well, I have done them in the past when the kids were willing (they have mostly not wanted to).

Last year, bloody Santa called my then 5yo a little brat, made a ‘joke’ about the helpers pulling down his pants and said his being a brat was the reason why ‘your mum has trouble with you’. Oh and he poked his tongue out at my child (who did return the gesture...).

He was not being a brat (I realise that there will be some who won’t believe me, mums are unreliable witnesses so to speak), he just didn’t want to have a photo and said so, then ignored Santa once he started applying pressure. I should have walked away sooner but I was frozen in shock.

Grrr. One year when my oldest was at kinder the youngest and I went into the shopping centre and there was no one with Santa so DS got up and had a chat (no pic). Santa heard his very traditional male name and looked quizzically at me as he said that can’t be right. I said yes it is - Santa was shocked little boy in the pink fairy princess costume complete with wand and tiara! He at least had the grace not to be rude about it after his initial shock.

#30 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:25 PM

View PostLou-bags, on 06 November 2019 - 06:25 PM, said:

Did you let the shop/shopping centre know? Because they would certainly want to. (I had a very brief career as a Santa photographer and this kind of behaviour is a serious no no)

#31 Norma-Bean Baker

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:55 PM

I don't know if I will this year. DS was 7 weeks old for his first one and the Santa did not know how to hold a baby! The photo looks so awkward.  Last year, at 1 year old, you can see the look of uncertainty on DS face so it's another awkward photo! I just wanted 1 photo, but no, the shopping centre only offered the full spam pack. Calendar, gift tags, keyring etc.

#32 Holly298

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:08 PM

Love Santa photos! Definitely tradition in our family and every Xmas I put out mine, DH and DS photos , he loves looking at us as kids and his own photos - we have a tradition of going to see the “real” Santa at the Queen Victoria building, get the train in, have lunch then see Santa , we’ve done it for now his 9th year and I’m assuming may be the last year he believes but we also do a cousin photo (all the grandkids ) and my niece  (now 15 ) still gets in it with the little kids so DS will too I hope!
DS has always loved Santa so every year literally has a perfect smiling photo but my nieces photos are hilarious- the first 6 years she would have horrified looks at Santa but now at 15 she loves looking back at them and we all laugh together

Edited by Holly298, 06 November 2019 - 08:12 PM.

#33 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:10 PM

We get free ones taken at Big W and then pay for the others to be printed there.  We do it because it's a nice thing for the kids to look back on, look forward too and they are only kids for a short amount of time anyway.

#34 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 06 November 2019 - 09:46 PM

Dd asks for it
She loves Santa and Christmas
Her first one was done at 4, when she first asked

#35 .Jerry.

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:49 AM

DD had a total of two in her younger years.  I think they are pointless and naff, but here dad took her twice.
She mostly was scared of Santa (and anyone dressed up in a costume really), so wouldn't have bothered.

I remember being at the local Westfield one day when the "arrival of Santa parade" was on.  DD was terrified!  Crying, hiding etc.  Now she performs in the parade with her dance school, lol. ;)  This year she is in a cute reindeer costume.   Possibly scaring little children!  

And for the record, I always told DD Santa wasn't real.  But she sometimes chose to believe anyway.

#36 3babygirls

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:57 AM

Love them.

We even got some done as adults for my mum :) (she didn't like them as much as I thought she would lol)

They are great little presents to give everyone for Christmas too. If my kids were scared of Santa i'm not sure how i'd go about it. I did lots of prep with my daughter for her second Chritmas as she was super wary of Santa, but after 3-4 visits in quiet times she was super excited to see him!

I'm pretty sure my youngest will yank Santa's beard really good this year. She has a thing for hair..

#37 2_little_boys

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:12 PM

My boys are 12 and 16.  They still go and get them.  :rofl:

#38 Murderino

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:46 PM

View Post.Jerry., on 07 November 2019 - 05:49 AM, said:

And for the record, I always told DD Santa wasn't real.  But she sometimes chose to believe anyway.

As above we did Santa but my son didn’t believe form the time he could think about it - like your DD he chooses to though!

#39 dadwasathome

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:59 PM

I have copies of all of mine as a kid. The only clear baby photo of my sister is a cut-out of the Santa pic of the two of us.

We've always done it with the boys, and even up to last year (I think) Ds16 was a good sport. DS11 has shown no interest this year for the first time, and appears to understand that the loot comes from mum and dad.

#40 4kids mostlysane

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:24 PM

My sister and I always had Santa photos when we were growing up - it was part of our family traditions so I continued it with my kids.  I've told DS who is now 19 (and 6'2"), only half jokingly, that he has to be in the Santa photo while he lives under my roof.  He's perfectly happy to go along with it, as are all the girls.  We make a bit of an event of it, with everyone putting on a "good outfit". It's nice to give copies to the grandparents and great aunties.

DS was never scared of Santa but there are 2 or 3 years where I am in the photo as well with DD1 and one year where DD2 cracked it and wouldn't go in the photo and we didn't force her.  When DD3 was about 3-4 she was petrified of him, but wanted to be in the photo so we did lots of casual visits to just say hi and have a chat and by the time we got all 4 kids there, she was fine, although did have a death grip on DD1's hand!

I love 'em.

#41 Lady Monteagle

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:39 AM

We've done them every year ever since DS1 first wanted to, as they've both wanted to ever since.  It really makes them happy.  I'll never forget the look of shocked wonderment the first time DS1 saw Santa!!! in Westfield!!! (I was shocked too at how early in the year it was...)  That year we just looked from above, then after that it was photos for the win!

We found a local Rotary club that organises Santa photos so it's not a rip-off and the money we do pay goes to good causes.  And it's less popular so we get more time and the photographer usually chucks a bunch of extra shots into the USB.  

When we can't make it to the Rotary one, going to a much smaller shopping centre is also better.

#42 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:57 AM

We do them. I don’t think they’ve sat on Santa’s knee apart from when DS was a baby... and when he was a toddler we knew the man behind the beard. Since then they’ve either sat beside him, on a parents lap or on the chair with Santa peeking behind. Every Christmas I display them all along the buffet and it’s gorgeous seeing how they’ve grown. I think in years to come I’ll put them together in one frame and mount it every Christmas as a special family tradition.

#43 Ivy Ivy

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:32 AM

We all go in the Santa shot every year, it's the only regular photo we get with every member of the family in it.  We just buy one copy of the biggest size, and hang it on our wall at home.  I really like looking at them all lined up, the kids growing in each one.  I hope they'll agree to keep doing it through teenage years.

My husband and I have to make an effort not to wear the same clothes as we were in last year's photo, and the year before that....  (we don't do a lot of clothes shopping, wear the same stuff repeatedly, and he in particular will keep wearing items until the holes get very big).

#44 Murderino

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:03 AM

I’ve just realised my fridge has the photo from the last three years. It also has Santa pics from my work for the last few years - we all just had a good time looking at how they’ve changed.

#45 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:02 AM

We did them for DD her first Christmas then felt we had to do them for the boys first Christmases.  Definitely done now.  The kids won't do them on their own and we never get a good one of all 3, so I give up.  No FOMO here, I know we'll never get a good one.

#46 JomoMum

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:42 PM

We get them for the excitement on DS’s face to see Santa.
Actually least hear, at age 5, was the first time he wanted to. He was too frightened to go near him before that.

So I’m going to run with it for as long as he’ll let me. I anticipate him wanting to carry on the tradition for bub 2 due soon *fingers crossed*
We rarely get a photo the three of us together so it’s actually a good chance to get us in the one snap!

Eta I don’t line up for hours though - we book online for our local Stockland and go straight on in at our session time. BIG no if there was queue waiting involved.

Edited by JomoMum, 08 November 2019 - 01:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.