Cat drinking fountain

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:58 PM

Does anyone have one?

Do the cats actually use it? Does it stop them trying to drink out of the kitchen sink?

#2 kadoodle

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:55 PM

My cats live theirs. It doesn’t stop them from drinking out of the tap or my glass, though.

#3 Greatmum

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:00 PM

Our cat loves water and drinks out of the tap all the time and just loves putting his head under the water.

He wouldn’t go near the fountain ☹️

#4 born.a.girl

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:17 PM

I haven't tried one, but from my reading (frequently cat focused) it's very hit and miss as to whether they take to it.  Most people seem to get them for cats who otherwise insist on drinking out of the tap, and that doesn't seem to have a high success rate in getting them to stop.

I'm reluctant to try one because I suspect the frequently visiting Schnauzer would have a ball making a mighty mess. We already have to close off the room with the corn based kitty litter!

#5 laurs

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:32 PM

My cat liked his for a while and then stopped using it. I bought it because he has a habit of dragging his regular bowl across the floor and spilling water everywhere but I've now given up on it.

#6 everly

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:34 PM

The fountain initially scared our cats because of the noise it made. Took about a week before they would go near it!

#7 Dianalynch

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:59 PM

I don’t know why, but when I read cat drinking fountain, I imagine some rather glamorous looking cats idly drinking from the Trevi Fountain in Rome. Very appropriate for cats.

Edited by Dianalynch, 06 November 2019 - 03:59 PM.

#8 melbun

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:08 PM

Yes, cat loves it.  Still drinks out of sink, bedside water glasses, toilet, shower floor, etc...

#9 Mrs Twit

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:53 PM

Yes we have one and my cats love it. We got it when they were very young after noticing one liked to drink out of our garden watering system when we turned it on. huge success for our cats about 7 years on. One drinks out of the bowl part, and one drinks directly from the spout. I'm sure they drink more water because of it.

Edited to add we only run it during the day. It is quite noisy.
And they don't drink out of sinks or taps

Edited by Mrs Twit, 06 November 2019 - 04:58 PM.

#10 Coffeegirl

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:12 PM

Yes.  I had a cheap $20 one from Kmart and my cat loved it.  But it gave up the ghost and they aren’t selling them anymore.

Bought the white and green Catit fountain with the flower and my cat loves this one too.  I had to remove the flower and just use the ‘wider’ setting as his head was too big to get to the water easily with the flower in place.

Hasn’t stopped him walking into the shower once I’m done, but he doesn’t do it as much as he used to,

#11 Riotproof

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:18 PM

I’m thinking about it now.

Does anyone have a cheap eBay cheapie? I’m not keen on spending $90 on a maybe. Plus, how often do you need to buy new filters.

Also, I’m thinking about wtf I’m going to put it.

Edited by Riotproof, 06 November 2019 - 06:48 PM.

#12 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:41 PM

Our cat loves ours, and it has stopped him begging to have the bathroom taps turned on.  Hasn’t stopped him actually drinking out of people’s bedside water glasses though.  

#13 kadoodle

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:14 PM

My folks got a cheap one from Aldi, which had a tiny solar panel for $20 last week. It’s quite small, only single cat size, but quiet apart from the tinkling of water.

#14 kimasa

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:22 PM

Our old cat loved it. Our current cat is scared of it.

#15 esme weatherwax

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:59 PM

Funnily enough I just bought the catit flower fountain on Monday. Four cats here (!) and every one of them has taken to it happily. My toilet drinker will probably still need his regular fix of loo water but it's been a big hit so far. I still have their regular water bowl next to it and maybe it's just the novelty but they all seem to go for the fountain.

#16 Riotproof

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:39 PM

Id love to hear what you think in a month or so. I haven’t caught him on the sink in a while, and he did meow at me to change his water this afternoon. Plus, I have been adding a couple of ice cubes, which he seems to like a lot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.