Ways to earn extra cash?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 kitkatswing

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:20 PM

Looking at my budget for the next 3 months and its not looking very good.

I have called all my phone/elec/gas/insurance mobs and have gotten all reduced (thankfully) by changing plans, reducing insurance amount etc.

I'm sorting through the house and selling what I can, but thats a slow process and only happens when people want to buy what I have.

Is there anything you guys can suggest? Ways to earn extra money?

I do sew and have a great idea but to start I need funds to purchase the material. Its a catch 22!!!

#2 Fossy

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:28 PM

Can you pick up extra work? Overtime is an easy way to make some extra cash.
Babysitting? Prime time for people needing a good babysitter?
pet sitting while people are on holidays?

#3 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:28 PM

Do you have a paid job? Can you ask for more hours/overtime/pay rise/promotion etc? Best way to earn more is to start with your current job.

What is your availability? Might already be too late, but ask around for Christmas work. Retail and hospitality need Christmas casuals. Often after hours too, if you’re after a second job.

What other skills do you have?

#4 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:29 PM

As for sewing, it’s end of year concert time, offer to sew together kid’s costumes. You won’t need to buy the fabric then.

#5 kitkatswing

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:30 PM

I work full time. I cant ask for extra hours as that's not done here unfortunately.

I do have a husband and child, he works casual and really struggles to get hours. His pay pretty much covers our food shopping.

#6 kitkatswing

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:31 PM

I think I'm just panicking and over thinking.

We have our house on the market, if that sold we would be fine. But its been on the market for 3 months already...

#7 JBH

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:33 PM

View Postkitkatswing, on 06 November 2019 - 01:30 PM, said:

I work full time. I cant ask for extra hours as that's not done here unfortunately.

I do have a husband and child, he works casual and really struggles to get hours. His pay pretty much covers our food shopping.

If you have someone else at home to care for your child, you could offer evening and weekend babysitting. With lots of functions towards the end of the year, depending on your area you might get some work. If you live near any “wealthier” areas, suggest joining local Facebook groups and offering trusted babysitting services by an experienced parent.

#8 Fossy

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:34 PM

He can probably pick up a seasonal job.  Christmas casuals are hiring.  Has he been handing out his resume?
Could he do odd jobs? Lawn mowing? Does he have skills? He could look on air tasker?  Even something like dog walking while people are at work?

#9 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:34 PM

View Postkitkatswing, on 06 November 2019 - 01:30 PM, said:

I guess the obvious thing is for your husband to pick up a second casual job to fill in the gaps.

#10 kitkatswing

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:36 PM

View PostJBH, on 06 November 2019 - 01:33 PM, said:

If you have someone else at home to care for your child, you could offer evening and weekend babysitting. With lots of functions towards the end of the year, depending on your area you might get some work. If you live near any “wealthier” areas, suggest joining local Facebook groups and offering trusted babysitting services by an experienced parent.

Unfortunately his hours are always in the evenings ! (always the way)

#11 kitkatswing

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:37 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 06 November 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

I guess the obvious thing is for your husband to pick up a second casual job to fill in the gaps.

Yep, I have suggested to him many times.... Its hard as his hours are only posted 2 weeks in advance so he cant commit to any set time.

Plus he does school drop off/pick up .

#12 born.a.girl

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:41 PM

Much as I'm loathe to support the continuation of the idea, junk mail distributors are always looking for people.  Neighbour does it, and although it's not high pay, most of his effort is in the collating, and he tries to see the delivering as exercise.

#13 MarigoldMadge

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:47 PM

I had an intense three month period of work/stress, asked a friend for a dog walker referral to take the poor thing out twice a week.

Didn't check the price until after I started but $45 a hour!

That's my go to plan if I ever lose my job.

#14 Greatmum

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:57 PM

Can u get some shifts at night when your husband is home. Where I work we have evening shifts and desperately need workers.

If u r in Sydney  google nights shifts.

Sorry just saw your husband works evenings. Get him to google night shifts we have lots of shifts every week he can do.

Edited by Greatmum, 06 November 2019 - 01:58 PM.

#15 livvie7586

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:02 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 06 November 2019 - 01:41 PM, said:

Much as I'm loathe to support the continuation of the idea, junk mail distributors are always looking for people.  Neighbour does it, and although it's not high pay, most of his effort is in the collating, and he tries to see the delivering as exercise.

In the lead up to christmas i wouldn't recommend it.  An average pre-christmas delivery, for an area of 280 houses (which in the world of catalogue deliveries is a small area) would take me anywhere between 12 and 18 hours to collate, and then 4-5 hours to deliver (larger bundles meant more trips), and even then i'd only bring in $100-$120 a week.

Your average hourly 'wage' is under $5 as a catalogue contractor.  1 company pays under $4 to deliver 1 catalogue (to the above mentioned area), which when you do 3-4 hours walking to deliver that 1 catalogue means $1-ish per hour.

OP, i went from delivering to doing stock taking for a stocktaking company.  Easy enough work, to an extent you can choose your own shifts, and it's award pay.

#16 #notallcats

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:04 PM

If you can sew, advertise (FB, local community board, etc) to do repairs/adjustments/hems, etc.  I think people don't have the time or equipment anymore, and the ones in the shopping centres are pretty pricey.

#17 Elsegundo

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:04 PM

If you have a car, ywou can put it on a carshare website for when you're not using it. I was surprised how much money we earn for it. Easily covers all the running costs.

#18 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:05 PM

I once got paid $200 to eat a pizza over web cam. If you are not opposed to "adult" work, camming can get you fast easy cash.

#19 kitkatswing

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:07 PM

View PostElsegundo, on 06 November 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

If you have a car, ywou can put it on a carshare website for when you're not using it. I was surprised how much money we earn for it. Easily covers all the running costs.

I had never thought of that before! I use my car to get to work though, the area I work in isnt very public transport friendly.
Plus I dont think Id like the idea of strangers using my car.

#20 NeedSleepNow

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:10 PM

If you are in an urban area then get your DH to sign up to airtasker. I was looking at ad examples, and there seemed to be all sorts of odd jobs available. It’s something he can do in conjunction with looking at more permanent/reliable work.

Edited by NeedSleepNow, 06 November 2019 - 02:11 PM.

#21 kitkatswing

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:12 PM

View PostUndergroundKelpie, on 06 November 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

I once got paid $200 to eat a pizza over web cam. If you are not opposed to "adult" work, camming can get you fast easy cash.

You know, I did actually think about that....

#22 marple

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:13 PM

View PostUndergroundKelpie, on 06 November 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

Wowsers!

#23 born.a.girl

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:17 PM

View Postlivvie7586, on 06 November 2019 - 02:02 PM, said:

In the lead up to christmas i wouldn't recommend it.  An average pre-christmas delivery, for an area of 280 houses (which in the world of catalogue deliveries is a small area) would take me anywhere between 12 and 18 hours to collate, and then 4-5 hours to deliver (larger bundles meant more trips), and even then i'd only bring in $100-$120 a week.

Your average hourly 'wage' is under $5 as a catalogue contractor.  1 company pays under $4 to deliver 1 catalogue (to the above mentioned area), which when you do 3-4 hours walking to deliver that 1 catalogue means $1-ish per hour.

OP, i went from delivering to doing stock taking for a stocktaking company.  Easy enough work, to an extent you can choose your own shifts, and it's award pay.

For sure it's a low rate per hour, but if they're desperate for cash short term, and he's actually at home during the day, then he's not earning any money over that time either, especially if a different sort of job means paying for childcare.

As an alternative to a better paying option it's not great, but for someone already at home and with time, it might be a case of it's better than nothing.

#24 JBH

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:29 PM

I paid someone to make my son’s Christmas concert costume once, because they wanted “home made”. You could do a letterbox drop suggesting you are available for alterations, dance concert sewing, costume sewing, making custom Santa sacks.

#25 JBH

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:33 PM

Would your husband consider lunch time shifts working fast food/cafe work? It’s the best time for adults to get shifts, because school students aren’t available,
And works around school hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.