Walter and Stanley

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#26 Fahrook

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:03 AM

I honestly don't mind either of the names.

However, when I quickly glanced at the title of the thread I initially thought it was about Waldorf and Stately from the muppets.

#27 majirlo

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:08 AM

Not a fan of either sorry. I think about when they are teenagers and I just can't picture a surfie or musician named Walter or Stanley (although I'm sure there will be some).

Zephyr still has a vintage feel but without the old man image attached.

#28 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:22 AM

I'm more on the no side of these.
My grandfather's name was Earnest - Ernie. I couldn't do that one either.

#29 TheGreenSheep

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:32 AM

Oh wow NO from me.

Walt/er reminds me of a dog, or Walt Disney, and its so old and should be swept away into the annuls of time

Stanley, I cant help but think of Stanley Kubrick et al of the old vintage, as well as these days theres a streaming service Stan, so I wouldn't want to saddle my DS with that before even being born.

ETA I have family associations with these names, no way getting a run on with my kids either

Edited by TheGreenSheep, 08 November 2019 - 11:33 AM.

#30 Jingleflea

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:59 AM

I know a Walter, in his 40's. Never called Walt. I quite like it.

i don't like Stanley much though.

#31 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:05 PM

Walter is fine.  kind of an older guys name but...older guys were young once too. Stanley, dunno...i guess it’s ok....

i must say though - together, as in your thread title - or if you’re thinking of having first name, middle name - it kind of sound like the name of an accountancy firm - you know like “they engaged Walter Stanley to do the audit...” - but that may not bother you (i’m prolly the only one who thought that!)

#32 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:44 PM

My grandfather was Stanley. Not sure I could name a child Stanley now though!

#33 seayork2002

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:51 PM

View PostNot Escapin Xmas, on 08 November 2019 - 02:44 PM, said:

My grandfather was Stanley. Not sure I could name a child Stanley now though!

I guess where I am thinking on these names is I was born in the 70's apart from the fact it is the olden days according to DS is all the nicknames for child with these old fashioned names seem to be what us of a certain generation come up with not the young people now

DS goes to a very multicultural primary with a lot of Chinese (and other asian children) who have their Chinese (for example) and a 'western' name which tends to be very olden fashioned but a nickname is ever used it is always the full version

#34 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:58 PM

No.

No.

#35 Sancti-claws

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:38 PM

I am amused by all the "what an old person name" reactions that people are having to Stanley.

You do realise that Jack was an old man's name 20 years ago?

Nobody would ever have a Harry!!

And as for Oliver?  Sheesh...

#36 majirlo

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:10 PM

View PostSancti-claws, on 08 November 2019 - 09:38 PM, said:

I am amused by all the "what an old person name" reactions that people are having to Stanley.

You do realise that Jack was an old man's name 20 years ago?

Nobody would ever have a Harry!!

And as for Oliver?  Sheesh...

The difference is Jack and Harry are timeless classics that continually pop up and Oliver has been in the top ten for a while now so it has become a popular contemporary name.  I know babies, teenagers and men in their 20's, 40's and 70's named Jack or Harry whereas I've never known a Walter or Stanley outside a nursing home.

#37 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:54 AM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 08 November 2019 - 12:05 PM, said:

Walter is fine.  kind of an older guys name but...older guys were young once too. Stanley, dunno...i guess it’s ok....

i must say though - together, as in your thread title - or if you’re thinking of having first name, middle name - it kind of sound like the name of an accountancy firm - you know like “they engaged Walter Stanley to do the audit...” - but that may not bother you (i’m prolly the only one who thought that!)

That's where my head went too! I actually googled it as it sounded so familiar as the name of a law firm...

#38 Imaginary friend

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:27 PM

Not a fan of either - but then the whole category of 'ultra vintage' names isn't my thing.

Of course names go in cycles and everyone doesn't have to have a name in the 'right era' and my taste isn't everyone's taste.
So, no reason not to use them if you want to.

I prefer Stanley of the 2.

Edited by Imaginary friend, 10 November 2019 - 07:28 PM.

#39 Astrocyte

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:44 AM

I don't mind Walter. It reminds me of Arthur which I really like. the NN Walt is okay.

Not a fan of Stanley. I don't know why but it reminds me of Harvey which I like better.

#40 Crombek

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:43 PM

Love Walter. I think it’s totally due for a comeback.

Not at all keen on Stanley. I think the ocker accent ruins it. And I keep hearing Karen from Will & Grace’s nasally voice when I read it.

#41 Happypossibility

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:40 AM

I really understand where you're coming from. My DH adores Walter nn Walt (big Walter Bonatti fan, & Walt Whitman poetry) and also loves Arthur and Franklin. It's taken me a little while, but they've really grown on me. Because Walt has been associated for me with a mountain climber, I picture a Walt as a little kid with a bit of dash and cheeky energy. Not a big Stan fan, I'd rather Sam.

#42 Bigbaubles

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:27 AM

Love Walter, Stanley is ok.

I know a few little Walter's and one little Stanley, so both very useable!

#43 literally nobody

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:51 PM

A no from me. it’s as boring as Rupert.

#44 liveworkplay

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:56 PM

I know a little 10 year old Walter that goes by Walt, it really suits him. I don't like Stanley, sorry.  I also know teen Gus and Ned which are also cool boys names

Edited by liveworkplay, 12 November 2019 - 01:58 PM.

#45 Lornasa

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:05 PM

I can't imagine a young man with name Walter.
With Stanley I can :)

#46 PuddingPlease

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:36 PM

I think they're cute names, nothing wrong with either of them.

#47 little lion

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:40 PM

I heard a little boy called Wilbur today. Sort of reminds me of your suggestions?

#48 IamzFeralz

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:56 PM

Not keen on either. It makes me think of WWII veterans.

#49 teddyandarnie

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:21 PM

I like both names - Stanley is actually on my list for future bubs, and I think I'll probably add Walter too for the Disney connection.

But I also have names like Ernest, Edgar and Clyde on my list so..

#50 OrangeSprout

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:59 PM

no way...not names I'd use but hey each to their own

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.