Dance Make Up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LucyGoose

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:02 PM

My daughter is doing a dance concert and I’d like to get some makeup for her.  The makeup is optional,  so last year she didn’t wear any,  and was one of the only ones.

She can’t wear mine,  as she has a different complexion.   I also don’t want to spend a fortune.  What brands does everyone buy for a pre-teen?

#2 .Jerry.

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:45 PM

We were recommended to get Rimmell.  Cheap but reasonable quality.
For lips I use revlon colourstay. Stays on well.

#3 nom_de_plume

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:22 AM

For foundation I’d go to Mecca, Sephora or Myer and get colour matched. They will give you some samples (Mecca is the *ahem* most generous with theirs), which would be enough for the dance concert. You usually want to go a shade darker as otherwise they can look washed out under the lighting.

You can buy lipstick and mascara/false lashes cheaply enough from Priceline. Most of the drugstore brands are pretty good for these items. Maybelline is great for both lipstick and mascara, Rimmel or Revlon lipstick is also fantastic, Ardell and Eyelure (sp?) for false lashes. L’Oréal and NYX also do great blushes.

#4 Arthur or Martha

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:38 AM

The kids make up should all look the same.  So I'd ask the other mums what brand they use for their kids and do as PP suggested and try and get some samples.
Does the dance teacher have a preference? So a certain shade of lipstick and blush?

#5 *Spikey*

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:53 AM

Your performance information pack should tell you what colours you are looking for.

Generally, colours that fade to a more neutral tone under lights go on faces, but with redder lips, so they can be seen.

We use dark brown on the bottom eyelid, and a cream colour on the top - all kids (boys and girls) use the same colour. Blush is pink - it looks very pink and you need a lot of it. But it's barely there under lights.

I'd take a trip into the chemist and do some testing on her. DD had to get new make up last year (it lasts a long time when you wear it once or twice a year, lol), and we tested about 10 different shades until we were happy.

Get powder too.

Also, red (as in bright red) lips stand out the bomb under lights.

The eyeliner with the brush is the easiest to put on - and you can do great shaping with it. Finally, go big with the mascara.

I don't recommend sharing makeup, especially lipstick and eye makeup as the chance of sharing something infectious is always there, even between family members. DD has her own, and it lives in her makeup bag. Has done since she was about 5yo.

#6 BeAwesome

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:55 AM

I used to just go to Cosmetics Plus, and say "my daughter goes to X" dance school, and they'd say "you need this, this and this".

#7 casime

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:42 AM

Go to Sephora or Mecca and get them to do your child's colours.  They have brands that are reasonably priced, but remember that you will use a lot less of a good quality product than you will of a cheap one, they will suit better, and they will last longer.  You really do get what you pay for with makeup.

#8 esme weatherwax

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:42 AM

I bought my daughter Flower products from Chemist Warehouse (Drew Barrymore's makeup range). It's cruelty free, low cost and gets good reviews.

For makeup palettes, the Sportsgirl range gets consistently good reviews from beauty reviewers too.

#9 surprisebaby

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:51 AM

One of our dance mums does makeup for $5, its brilliant. Ask around, you never know, your school may have similar

#10 twinklestars

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:03 AM

I use Max Factor panstick make up for dance for my DD. It’s matte, build able and long lasting. I get a shade or two darker than her natural skin tone so she doesn’t look washed out under lights. It lasts ages too! For everything else I use cheaper brands from Priceline. Waterproof mascara. I just try and select products that don’t have shimmer or glitter in them. In our experience dance schools prefer matte makeup under lights.

#11 Wot*A*Lot*Of_____

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:00 PM

When looking at makeup that doesn’t get used often, take the price into account as makeup products have a PAO.
Foundation & concealer 1yr
Blush & powder 2yr
Eye shadow 6mt-2yr
Mascara 4-6mt

and there are others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.