Queenwood Girls (Senior School)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 December baby

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:53 AM

Hi,

I just read a few negative reviews on Queenwood per link below and a bit concerned with the negative reviews as we were offered and accepted a yr 7 place for my older daughter (she will start year 7 in 2022 - she is currently in year 4). Are there any parents who currently send their daughter to Queenwood and can also provide their personal opinion? Thanks

http://house.speakin...iew.php?id=5965

#2 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:21 AM

yikes.....they’re not great reviews...wonder if they’re all genuine. i don’t have a personal experience (i have two boys) but a good friend of ours had a daughter there for yr 7 and 8 - it didn’t work out for them. it’s a school that gets great results, but it is quite small - in comparison to some of the other private’s round there - and that can come with problems if you don’t “find your tribe”. they settled her at Wenona and she is much happier.

#3 December baby

Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:28 AM

Thanks Lucrezia - do you know why it didn't work out for your friends daughter, why she wasn't happy at Queenwood?

#4 Luci

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:12 PM

I don't have any personal experience with Queenwood Senior School however I don't know if I would consider that website to be particularly significant or reliable.

My children attend private schools elsewhere in Sydney. The schools are well regarded and I have been very happy with them for the past decade that my children have been students. I looked them up on that website and there were negative comments. I also looked up a few other popular private schools in Sydney - all had mainly negative comments.

The website is very out of date in parts - ie only had HSC results up to 2012. The school fees DS's school were also there - but many years out of date and there were also apparently photos for his school - but I looked at the photos and they were for another school situated in the UK.

For Queenwood there were only 5 comments dating back to 2015. When you think about the huge number of students who have attended the school in the last 5 years 5 comments isn't much to go on.

Anyway I can understand you would be concerned after reading the comments, but I personally wouldn't be basing any decisions on a couple of remarks on a old dated website.

#5 MarciaB

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:31 PM

I don't have any personal experience with Queenwood - but my dd's were/are at another private girls school in Sydney and there is always chatter about other girls schools.  

I wouldn't give too much weight to the website you linked, people who write reviews tend to be unhappy - and that can happen at any school.  As well - the super glowing reviews on these types of websites usually have a vested interest (or I assume they might).  You need to see for yourself.

Keep visiting the school whenever you can (open days, even see if you can go to some Music or Drama performances) this will help give you a feel for the cohort.  

As your dd is a few years off - I would also take the chance to visit some other schools as well - and a variety (public/private/co-ed/girls only) that will help make your decision either way.

Does your dd have any friends with older sisters?  Do you know anyone with high school age kids?  I would start asking around from people who are actually at high school now - schools can change from cohort to cohort and with change in leadership - you really do need current information.  Don't be shy to ask anyone you know with high school age kids what they think of their current school.

Do you live nearby?  In all honesty that would be my major concern with Queenwood - travelling there as it isn't on a great public transport route!

Edited by MarciaB, 09 November 2019 - 12:50 PM.

#6 Kreme

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:40 PM

Coincidentally DS and I were driving behind a bus yesterday that had an ad for Queenwood on it. DS asked where it was. And I realised it is the only private school on the north shore that you never hear about. I don’t know a single family with daughters who go there, whereas there are lots of families in my suburb with kids at Redlands which is very close to it. And it is never mentioned on the north shore mums Facebook group (and those people are OBSESSED with private schools.)

I asked a friend who has kids at north shore private schools and she said the reputation is that it is a school for the mega rich, and if you’re not in that echelon your child would have no hope of fitting in.

#7 MarciaB

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:46 PM

Adding that my daughters play a lot of sport and we often play Queenwood.  I will say that the girls are always well behaved/good sports when we compete against them.

I cannot say the same for all of the girls schools (the majority are absolutely fine but there are 1 or 2 schools I would not send my kids to based on the behaviour I see on the sport field).

#8 Kreme

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:06 PM

View PostMarciaB, on 09 November 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

Adding that my daughters play a lot of sport and we often play Queenwood.  I will say that the girls are always well behaved/good sports when we compete against them.

I cannot say the same for all of the girls schools (the majority are absolutely fine but there are 1 or 2 schools I would not send my kids to based on the behaviour I see on the sport field).

Oh yes there is one ‘elite’ girls school that has the worst reputation in the netball competition that we play in. They get more complaints than any other club.  I would never want my daughter to go there based on the behaviour of the players, parents and coaches.

#9 Moukmouk

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:21 PM

I know some people with girls there that are very happy. But also I know people that have found it is too small, both socially and academically. For instance, they weren’t offering elective music in year ten this year. Wenona is going to really increase their class sizes from next year - I would look there or Redlands personally.

ETA: come on Kreme, spill!

Edited by Moukmouk, 09 November 2019 - 01:21 PM.

#10 MarciaB

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:23 PM

View PostKreme, on 09 November 2019 - 01:06 PM, said:

Oh yes there is one ‘elite’ girls school that has the worst reputation in the netball competition that we play in. They get more complaints than any other club.  I would never want my daughter to go there based on the behaviour of the players, parents and coaches.

I do think that this is why the OP needs to frequent the school and any "events".  

Most schools reputations go up and down over time depending on lots of different factors - so you really need to check for yourself.

And of course schools can't always control the behaviour of individual students (parents).  However they can take steps to shut down poor sportsmanship - and sadly some schools just don't!

If a school tolerates a student screaming obscenities at a team mate, a team who refuses to shake hands at the end of a match, a team who is rude to their coach or the umpire/ref or parents who loudly complain on the sidelines - it is a no from me.  There is one school who doesn't seem to care about the above behaviour on the sport field and it has been the case for the 8 years my kids have been playing against them - so no way would I send my kids there.

At my girls school if a player yells at a team mate when they make a mistake or argues with a ref - they are benched for the rest of the game.  No matter how "good" a player they are.  Bad sportsmanship means no play.  Some schools don't seem to "get" it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.