Baby sleeps in bouncer?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 rowd

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:39 AM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 11 November 2019 - 06:28 AM, said:

Can I ask about those talking about car seats - do you mean you don't leave your child alone in the car asleep (which I don't do) or that you don't let them fall asleep in the car seat?

DS is 6 months in a RF seat (not capsule), he falls asleep almost as soon as we drive anywhere. About 50% of the time he has my 8yo sitting next to him so she will keep a check on him. But I don't know how I could stop him falling asleep.

https://rednose.org....r-baby-seat-use

^found that but it doesn't really talk about the baby falling asleep in the car.

I am quite paranoid about sleep safety and I would let my baby fall asleep in the carseat (would be virtually impossible not to) but I limited long car trips and would never leave him to sleep in the capsule. By that I mean, I didn't ever take the capsule out of the car, I'd always wake him and take him out once home or at our destination.

#27 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:41 AM

Also (very serious question please don't think Im trying to pick a fight or anything..)

DS usually has one of his sleeps while Im pushing him in the pram ( strider compact, faces towards me, very slight incline - doesn't actually go completely flat).

So Im watching him while he is asleep but being a refluxer its the easiest way to get him a day sleep. Is this also unsafe?  

Ive got a second pram whish will go flat but faces away. Its a pain to walk with but Im wondering if I should use this one instead?

View Postrowd, on 11 November 2019 - 06:39 AM, said:

I am quite paranoid about sleep safety and I would let my baby fall asleep in the carseat (would be virtually impossible not to) but I limited long car trips and would never leave him to sleep in the capsule. By that I mean, I didn't ever take the capsule out of the car, I'd always wake him and take him out once home or at our destination.

Thank you, yes that's what I do.

#28 ainira

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:00 AM

Op, it isn't ideal for long sleeps in the bouncer if you're not supervising.

With regards to SIDS recommendations, how do they line up with practices in other countries? Like this one:

https://www.bbc.com/...gazine-21537988

If they had a very high rate of SIDS, I assume that no one would do it then?

Edited by ainira, 11 November 2019 - 07:00 AM.

#29 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:26 AM

Oh another silly question (sorry for hijack of post OP)
What age do you think its safe enough for him to sleep in the slightly inclined pram?

Might call sids and kids and ask some advice.

This is my 3rd baby but my other 2 are older and I don't think the recline thing was as well known a few years ago. Feeling a bit clueless right now :huh:

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 11 November 2019 - 09:27 AM.

#30 Soontobegran

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:27 AM

Babies do not need to be placed in sub zero temperatures in prams to keep them healthy.
This is an old tradition which I see as problematic.
Firstly child is unsupervised, secondly there are way too many layers of clothing on them and thirdly they are sleeping in hats.
I’ll stick with our proven SIDS recommendations.

#31 Soontobegran

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:31 AM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 11 November 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

What age do you think its safe enough for him to sleep in the slightly inclined pram?

This is my 3rd baby but my other 2 are older and I don't think the recline thing was as well known a few years ago. Feeling a bit clueless right now :huh:

The incline is less of an issue if the baby has good neck control plus is lying on a firm, pillow less environment. The incline in a new baby may drop the chin forward onto the chest and in a baby not able to roll or otherwise move around may experience some restriction in breathing.

#32 Crazyone26989

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:41 AM

My pram is on a very slight incline and my 4 month old sleeps in it when we are out. To be honest I don’t know how I’d stop him from doing so. But I’m always there and his airway is clear as he has great head control from rolling and commando crawling so I’m not concerned.

Edited by Crazyone26989, 11 November 2019 - 09:42 AM.

#33 lozoodle

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:22 AM

Mine napped in bouncers all the time but they were literally at my feet being watched. I wouldn't leave them for a sleep unattended in one.

#34 Hands Up

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:29 AM

Look, I did with DS2 from time to time out of desperation. I would sit in front of him so I could see his chest rise and fall. I just couldn’t have him sleep on me all the time. My back was in all sorts. I couldn’t in good conscience recommend others do it though.

#35 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 11 November 2019 - 01:37 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 11 November 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

The incline is less of an issue if the baby has good neck control plus is lying on a firm, pillow less environment. The incline in a new baby may drop the chin forward onto the chest and in a baby not able to roll or otherwise move around may experience some restriction in breathing.

Thanks.  Pram is firm and only slight incline. Kind of silly it doesn't go flat but I guess they assue you would use the capsule for newborns. I had no idea and didn't bother with it!

#36 QuirkyMum

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:36 PM

Mine (now 10 y o) slept in the old version of the strider pram and it looked alright ( I stopped using bassinet during day walks when he was 3 weeks and weather got quite hot).
8 years later for my second one I bought new strider compact and he would fall asleep in it during our walks and (even with head positioner) his spine and neck would sort of curl in a weird position ( only in that pram!) and his head would almost dangle - it definitely was not safe!
You can get a foam wedge and place it where the seat folds ( strider deluxe comes with it but it is really a piece of foam) so that it is flatter but I wouldn't let baby sleep in it still.
tbh I loved our old strider so much but got rid of this new one when baby was 5 months old:( Baby didn't seem comfortable in it and he isn't a small baby. The seat design/shape was changed so it is less suitable for younger babies/toddlers unfortunately.
If you really want your baby to sleep in a pram ( for example, you walk to school every day at 3 pm to pick up kids and it is baby's nap time), I'd get a bassinet from gumtree for 50 dollars, use it until baby is 5-6 months and sell it for 50 dollars straight away... Basinet can be any colour and previous version will probably fit too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.