Has anyone had a Basal Cell Carcinoma?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RockingChair

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:33 PM

Several months ago I had a small pearly lump appear on my nose.  It didn't grow, bleed or change in anyway.  Out of curiosity I put a antifungal ointment with a small % cortison on it.  After that it kind of peeled off the top layer forming a scab, shrunk and then disappeared.

About a month or so it re-appeared, same spot, same appearance but slightly bigger.  I did the same thing with the ointment, but only once and thought I best go and get this checked 'just in case'.

Went to the skin clinic for a full body scan yesterday where I got the all clear with the exception of my nose.  The skin doctor strongly believes it is a BCC (Basal Cell Carcinoma) and I am scheduled to have it removed on the 21st November (earliest I could get an appointment).

Now just the word carcinoma has me freaking out and now that I know what it is I just want it gone.  I stopped the cream this time as I don't want it to disappear but it has scabbed over and seems to be shrinking yet again.

The word 'melanoma' was not used and it was not a mole, but the thoughts that it could be have crept in.

I don't care about the scar it will leave (it is on the nostril) but would really love to hear from people who have been diagnosed with a BCC and had it removed.

Am I wrong in thinking that the treatment will be the cure?

It is going to be a very long wait until the 21st and then longer to wait on pathology results.  I have exams coming up that I really need to be focused on but struggling.

Edited to add the lump is approx 2mm and a 5mm punch biopsy will be performed to remove it.

Edited by RockingChair, 09 November 2019 - 03:36 PM.

#2 gettin my fance on

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:50 PM

no advice, OP but wishing you all the best for a great outcome.

#3 tenar

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:53 PM

I’ve had several on my forehead that have had to be removed.

They are very slow growing and almost never get actually dangerous. They are quite common and very different to melanoma.  Don’t worry!

#4 flowermama

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:05 PM

I've had one on my nose removed. It was about three years ago and I haven't had anymore. My GP said they're the least aggressive type of skin cancer as they're very slow-growing and not a melanoma. She referred me to a plastic surgeon who did a biopsy to confirm that it was a BCC, then he booked me in to have it removed with a skin graft done (it was near the tip of my nose). I see a dermatologist every 12 months now for a full skin check. Happy to answer any questions you might have.

#5 byjingo

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:25 PM

I’ve also had a few on my forehead. I knew this was different to my other moles as it was exactly as you described, round and almost a pearl colour. I then had a 2nd one come up about a year later near to where the first one was, and apparently that is common. The first one felt like I’d had a small face lift when it was removed and stitched though!

I’ve, touch wood, not had any more since then, but have had quite a few suspicious moles removed, that came back normal.

#6 born.a.girl

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:26 PM

Common as mud in my 8 x person red-headed family.  My mother had dozens removed in her liftime, and some of her children are heading the same way.

They are at the opposite end of the scale from melanoma.

They remove them because (as my MIL's surgeon explained) once in a blue moon one will not be o.k., plus they sometimes grow and become uncomfortable and painful just by their size and position.

#7 capper

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:00 PM

I’ve had 4 basal cell carcinomas and one melanoma.  

The melanoma was totally different.  The bcc were just removed and then nothing else needed to happen.  Scary for me, but I’d had the melanoma first.

#8 RockingChair

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:33 PM

Thank you for your replies, feeling a bit better now :)

I think it is the word 'carcinoma' that doesn't sit comfortably (not that it would with anyone lol) and now that I know what it is I simply want it gone ASAP.

#9 chicken_bits

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:57 PM

Not myself personally, but my husband's grandmother has had quite a few removed from her face. I believe there was a significant one that required radiation but this was several years ago and once removed and radiation completed all seems to be well.

I wish you all the best OP. As PPs have said, they seem to be easily treatable when caught early.

#10 BBC

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:14 PM

I had one on my forehead taken off about 7 years ago. Plastic surgeon did it. He also took out a frown line, so I was pleased. No reoccurrence and no scar noticeable (hidden in a crease line).

But the surgeon did say once you have one you are likely to get more.  He also said if you just leave them they slowly get deeper and deeper and could, in 20 years or so, erode into the skull and cause meningitis. So worth getting rid of them!

#11 Chocolate Addict

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:16 PM

I had one on my arm, a small sore that never really healed like yours. Finally asked the doctor to take a look, he took a biopsy and it was diagnosed.
All I had to do was apply some very expensive cream ($135 for 5ml, but free thanks to medicare) for a week or two from memory and that was it.

I also had a sebaceous cyst on my head that got bigger over the years and I accidentally 'stabbed' it when dying my hair, I eventually got it removed and it had turned cancerous (squirrem? - the second one out of the three skin cancers) so had to get more skin removed.

Basal are the least scary ones.

#12 Pearson

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:29 PM

I have had several, many of them have presented just like yours... reappearing zit like sore, have had them all removed, including one I ignored for quite awhile (10 stitches later, small tiny scar)
The one that took me by surprise was the one that hubby only just noticed. It was a squamous cell carcinoma. They're a dangerous little sucker, and throw cancer cells throughout your body.

#13 ghost_cat

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:42 PM

Have had multiple BCCs.  70's child where sun screen was either baby oil or if you were being cautious, SPF2 reef tan oil.  

My dermatologist describes them as low risk of spreading, but that you need to get them removed as they will erode the area they are in. All removed with no ongoing issues.

Make sure to get their advice on wound care - mine was very good with their explanation and also gave me written instructions, but all the same, I took someone with me to listen to this part as I knew that I'd be too anxious with the removal process to take this advice in.

#14 dadwasathome

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:59 PM

I had a biopsy on one and then surgery to have it removed form the brideg of my nose. They discovered during the surgery that the biopsy seemd to have removed all the diseased tissue.

I was a bit freaked out too - all the best OP and hope for the best

#15 Quick hedgehog

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:09 PM

Not me, but DH has had 1/2 a dozen BCC's removed. Had one done only a couple of weeks ago after his annual skin check. They are not even a blip on our radar.

With the latest one he had to go back and have a bit more removed as the margins weren't clear enough after it was biopsied, but even so it was no big deal.

He had a melanoma however some years ago and that was a whole other kettle of fish.

#16 blackcat20

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:22 PM

I found out a week ago that I've had one return. It was treated almost two years ago (topically) but now it'll be surgically removed. Of all the skin cancers they're the 'best' to get.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.