how much for painted nails?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Quick hedgehog

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:18 PM

DD has her year 6 graduation coming up. Apparently all the girls are getting their nails done!

I have never done anything to my nails except a coat of polish on my toes occasionally in summer.

When 12 year old girls talk about getting their nails done,what exactly do you think they are they talking about?  Going somewhere to get polish put on them in a more professional manner than they can do themselves?  Or something more?  I don't even know what something more might be.  

And getting them done with nail polish, how much might you expect that to cost, and where do you go to get it done?

Please tell me about nails.

#2 K.heather

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:26 PM

I used to take my two girls to a nail salon and they charged $5 each of my girls to paint them. So $10 for both girls.

#3 lizzzard

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:32 PM

You might get a range of answers to this.... DD got hers done for her formal - I took her with and a group of her friends to the salon I go to. Most of them got SNS, and it cost $55. Before you freak out though, this is an inner city private school - I'm pretty sure thats not the norm everywhere.

#4 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:36 PM

I would have thought they'd just do it themselves? Take them off to priceline or kmart and get a colour that matches the dress and voila.

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:37 PM

$35-$50 for a mini manicure around where I live. $20-$30 for a file, buff and polish (no cuticles). One salon does a paint for little girls for under $20, but they don’t have it on their website.

#6 Charli73

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:44 PM

Our local cheap salon was going to charge $10 for my DD to have a basic nail coat of paint..

#7 Quick hedgehog

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:00 PM

Most of them got SNS, and it cost $55.

what is SNS please?

#8 Jenflea

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:08 PM

Considering our bog standard public primary school issued a warning in the recent newsletter saying fake nails weren't allowed at school I'd say anything goes.

But you're the mum, you get to say what happens on your DD's nails.
I wouldn't let DD get more than a buff and polish at 12, plenty of time for gels or SNS or whatever later on, and she can pay for it!

I think yr 6 is too young for more than a polish frankly.

#9 rosie28

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:12 PM

My local salon charges $25 for a “file and paint” or mini manicure. I wouldn’t allow a child to have fake nails done, or SNS or shellac- they can damage the nail bed. My salon will do my 3 year old’s nails free when I get mine done, love them to bits. She loves it, and they use non toxic stuff.

#10 rileys-mum

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:15 PM

Sns is a type of gel style nail polish that starts as powder then is activated by solution.
It does not damage the nails but needs to be professionally applied and professionally removed.
Approx $55 for application and $30 for removal.
I suspect it is what her friends are talking about

#11 Quick hedgehog

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:27 PM

So what is a buff and polish?  I am thinking her nails are so small and pretty short, I can't really see what anyone in a salon could possible do to them that would make them look any different.

I see pictures on facebook and the like of fancy painted nails that people get, spots, glitter, fancy patterns etc.  I suspect this is the sort of thing DD has in her head.  

I don't object to her wearing nail polish for the day, and I might end up giving in to nagging and consider letting her get them painted professionally because goodness knows I can't help her with it but even then I can't imagine what you could do with nails that small.

#12 kimasa

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:39 PM

A salon near me does "kids packages" where they have a list of stuff that's $5 each with a minimum of 3. Nails (file and polish) is one of them, so $5 for that.

#13 kimasa

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:41 PM

View PostQuick hedgehog, on 09 November 2019 - 08:27 PM, said:

So what is a buff and polish?  I am thinking her nails are so small and pretty short, I can't really see what anyone in a salon could possible do to them that would make them look any different.

I see pictures on facebook and the like of fancy painted nails that people get, spots, glitter, fancy patterns etc.  I suspect this is the sort of thing DD has in her head.  

I don't object to her wearing nail polish for the day, and I might end up giving in to nagging and consider letting her get them painted professionally because goodness knows I can't help her with it but even then I can't imagine what you could do with nails that small.

Buff and polish means file and paint. They could do patterns on a kid, especially if they use nail stickers. Glitter is just a polish that has glitter mixed in it.

The paint smell goes away after 10 or so minutes, then your nails smell like nothing.

#14 cstar

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:17 PM

Just paint them yourself
It's grade 6

#15 Jenflea

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:51 PM

Buffing smooths the surface of the nail, filing shapes the white edge.

#16 ~Bob~

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:48 AM

I would suspect that they are talking about some sort of fake nail too. If so, it would be a hard no from me.

#17 BornToLove

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:29 AM

I agree with others that the kids are talking about a fake nail or hard wearing polish (SNS, Shellac). I don’t think it’d be a *big deal* over a general buff and polish unless it was a group outing and/or wanted pedis as well.

I would meet DD half way on it. Offer a buff and polish but allow funky design/finishes with normal polish. I think the commitment (time and money) of something like fake nails/SNS is too much for that age so would rather stick to normal polish.

Most places in my area charge about $20 for kids buff and polish for either fingers or toes. Some places charge extra for designs, no more than $2 per nail.

#18 Ivy Ivy

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:56 AM

I shudder when I see the lack of sterilisation that occurs in nail saloons.  Just stick the file/cuticle clipper/whatever in a room temperature jar of some "solution" along with 10 other implements.  Everyone's nail fungus, dead cells, minute traces of blood, etc, mingling together.  No autoclaving, no high heat, no alcohol, to clean their equipment.

At least take your own implements (buy a nail set from Target or somewhere and hand it to the beautician to use on just your daughter) if you expose a 12 y o to that infection risk.  Yuck.

#19 MarciaB

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:02 AM

For my kids - Year 6 did own polish at home.

Year 10 buff/polish around $25 - $30.

My younger dd wanted shellac in Year 10 - but you can’t remove it yourself and I said she would have to pay for removal so that sorted that out.

My oldest did the gel/shellac for year 12 - but paid for it herself.

#20 Lifesgood

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:05 AM

For DDs year 6 farewell dance I took her to the nail bar I usually go to and they filed and painted her nails a very pale pink for $15. She loved it.

#21 Nasty Butterfly

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:01 AM

She is probably talking about wanting some kind of fake nails (gel,sns) which will be around $55.

I have let DD2 get them done occasionally from about the age of 12 with no issues at all. She isn’t allowed painted nails at school so they are on for the holidays and then gone when she goes back to school. They say you need to pay to have them removed but we never do. DD just usually ends up chewing them off but you can soak in nail polish remover and they come off very easily with a nail file.

You could also just get a paint done for $5 and even short nails can look nice with a bit of polish so don’t worry too much about that.

I’d have a chat to your daughter about exactly what she wants done and decide from there what you’re comfortable with.

Edited by Nasty Butterfly, 10 November 2019 - 09:01 AM.

#22 MarciaB

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:08 AM

When it comes to school formals - my mantra has always been "where do you go from here"?

So if you start out in Year 6 with the pre's and the stretch limo, the designer dress and hair/makeup/nails - there really isn't anywhere to go for Year 10 or Year 12.

OP - I know you weren't talking about any of those things (but the entire combination certainly happens around here)! - but thought I would mention it as a Mum with a dd (now out of school) and a dd who just went to Year 10 formal.  It seems to just get bigger and bigger each year.  Many girls at DD's Year 10 formal went so over the top with the works I do wonder how on earth it is going to be stepped up for Year 12.

So Year 6 - I would aim to keep it simple.  Fancier treatments can come over time.

Edited by MarciaB, 10 November 2019 - 09:08 AM.

#23 Mollycoddle

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:18 AM

View PostMarciaB, on 10 November 2019 - 07:02 AM, said:

My younger dd wanted shellac in Year 10 - but you can’t remove it yourself and I said she would have to pay for removal so that sorted that out.

IME shellac will usually flake off or grow out eventually. When I've returned for a refresh they just take off any that's left. I've never had to pay for removal.  That's just the polish though, not an actual artificial nail.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 10 November 2019 - 09:18 AM.

#24 MarciaB

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:27 AM

View PostMollycoddle, on 10 November 2019 - 09:18 AM, said:

IME shellac will usually flake off or grow out eventually. When I've returned for a refresh they just take off any that's left. I've never had to pay for removal.  That's just the polish though, not an actual artificial nail.

Yes - however her school will issue detentions for nail polish - so it must come off quickly :).

Older dd (now at university) just gets hers off herself somehow.

#25 nom_de_plume

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:35 AM

A manicure is $30 where I live. They soak your hands to soften the cuticles, push the cuticles back with an orange stick, file/shape the nail, give you a hand massage with moisturizer and then put on a few coats of nail polish. A mini manicure/buff and polish is $15.

For younger kids (under 10) they will do a couple coats of nail polish for free if a paying adult is having their nails done.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.