Peri menopause? WTF 17d cycle

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:51 PM

So since turning 40 my cycles went from a lifetime average of 6-12wks to a period of 23d, then thanks to Metformin back out to 28-32days.

Stayed like that for 2-3yrs but now creeping down again, 26/27d but current cycle was only 17d FFS!

Plus of course I had my Pap Smear scheduled for that day (after canceling last time as AF was only 25d).

So who is betting on perrimenopause being the answer?

#2 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:01 PM

ME!!!  I bet it's the answer.  My cycle went from 28 days exactly to anywhere from 23 - 28 days, a cycle of 60 days could be followed by a cycle of 14.

#3 Froyo

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:54 PM

Yep I'm perimenopausal and my cycles go all over the place at times. I've had 18ish day ones as well as longer ones.

#4 Murderino

Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:04 PM

Same here, I’m fairly certain I’m in peri-menopause as well - my mum was mid to late 40s, my sister started mid to late 40s and I’m 45.

After a lifetime of every 28 days mine have been all over the shop but usually shorter than 28 days. According to my diary it’s now been almost seven weeks but it doesn’t seem that long ago (I rarely forget to note the first day).

I do know I had an awful migraine a couple of days before my last period but I can’t work out the date - I’ll be able to see what day I took leave but not until Tuesday when I’m back at work - so still in the dark for a few days.

#5 gruidae

Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:23 PM

I'd say that's likely. Mine got progressively closer for about 5 years til they got to every second week then suddenly out to two to three absolute periods from hell a year for the final three years. Offically in meno now at 49.

Everyone is different though. To quote my doc "Well, anything can happen with your periods in your 40's". Message being, never leave home without tampons.Progesterone backs off before oestrogen for many of us which can make it all very unpredictable, lengthy and floody when it comes. Blood test at docs can give you more of an idea of what's happening for you specifically.

#6 Chchgirl

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:40 AM

It's amazing how different we all are. I'm 52 next year and still regular like clockwork, still ovulate and no dign of perimenopause. Well I don't think so, apart from the sleeping issues.

I find these posts interesting as it helps me know what to look out for.

Edited by Chchgirl, 10 November 2019 - 04:41 AM.

#7 WaitForMe

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:17 AM

Yeah I think I'm in peri-menopause...

Turned 40 this year, still breastfeed my youngest so theres a small possibility its actually that... but I have a feeling its peri-menopause.

I don't know when exactly it started as I don't really keep track of my periods that closely, but one day I thought thats weird I'd swear its been less than 4 weeks... so now I track it and its all over the place. Its also become incredibly hard for me to lose weight and easy to gain.

I'm thankful for EB as I'd never even heard of peri-menopause until a year or so ago on here. I'm really sad about it, I feel like I need my body to have a bit of a break but instead its been ttc and babies and breastfeeding for years on end and now this.

#8 Aughra

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:19 AM

As soon as I turned 40 my cycle went from a regular 26 days to anywhere between 14 and 23 days and I don’t feel like I ovulate anymore.

I wish it would just stop altogether.  It feels so weird to not have a normal cycle after 30 years.

#9 IamOzgirl

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:36 AM

This women has a lot of great info.

Not just for peri or menopausal women.

https://www.larabriden.com/

#10 IamzFeralz

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:55 AM

My cycles have been shortish like that (around 23 days) for over 10 years now. Still getting regular periods however and I am 49 now.  I am sure I will menopause in the next 5 years if my mother and sister are anything to go by.  I wake up earlier now, which I know is a peri sign.

#11 Bob Loblaw

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:07 AM

View PostIamOzgirl, on 10 November 2019 - 07:36 AM, said:

This women has a lot of great info.

Not just for peri or menopausal women.

https://www.larabriden.com/

Thank you for posting that link - it’s very interesting.

#12 tarrie cat

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:17 PM

I'm on the pill so I don't have my period but I'm definitely perimenopausal. And my GP agrees with me! I mentioned the night sweats I'd been having and she told me that you can definitely be perimenopausal while you're on the pill.

Edited by tarrie cat, 13 November 2019 - 06:17 PM.

#13 Hands Up

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:50 PM

I’m 39 and my cycles are getting shorter. At the moment 24-26 days and on a downward trend. Sigh. Also my periods are lighter but longer. It sucks.

#14 Kreme

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:36 PM

I was sure I was peri menopausal in my mid 40s, had a blood test and no I wasn’t! My friend had the same thing happen to her.

So I would go to the GP and get the tests done to confirm what is happening.

I’m almost 52 and my cycles started getting shorter and my periods heavier at around 49. I was getting anaemic  so I’ve ended up going back on the pill. Once my current prescription ends I need to go off it to see what is happening with my hormones - not looking forward to that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.