Working as a family daycare educator.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Anon1412

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:20 PM

Hi all,
I'm wondering if anyone in here has their own family daycare and could answer some questions.

First, Is it worth it financially? I'm currently employed part time, 4 days per week. I feel like after I pay childcare for my girl (with a 30% discount) and OSHC for my eldest, I'm only making 300 a week. Still worth it, but I'd love to know if FDC may be a better option for me.

Secondly, can you pick your days at beginning? My daughter has a lot of appointments, which is why I currently work 4 days per week. Just so I can schedule all appointments on my day off.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

#2 Heather11

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:41 PM

My understanding is that your own children count in the numbers for ratios.  Therefore you would only be able to look after 3 other children if you have your own at home full time.

#3 Twinmum+2

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:46 PM

Me experience with FDC was a long time ago now but at the time it was pretty good money.  I had twins at home and also looked after 2 other babies but I did it 5 days a week.  From memory it was about the equivalent of my mat leave halfpay as an APS4 in the public service.  I did it for a year then went back to my old job because the IL's offered to babysit for me.  Going back to a deskjob was a holiday in comparison to 4 babies under 12 months!

There is definitely a lot more regulation around the industry now and I think you may even have to have a qualification to do it at all.  There is a lot of paperwork involved and the chasing up of unpaid fees was a bit annoying... some schemes employ you and do all that for you but some schemes treat you as self employed and you have to do all that yourself.  Tax was PAYG too which was a lot to get my sleep deprived head around.  You shouldn't have too much trouble only being 4 days a week because a lot of the time that's why people use FDC, it's much more flexible.

For me it was a life saver because I needed money but couldn't afford two babies in childcare .  Now my kids are older I've thought about  doing it again...  but I think you need to genuinely like caring for other people's kids to make it work.

#4 luke's mummu

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:01 AM

Yes you can definitely choose your opening hours/days to suit your lifestyle. 4 days a week would be quite do able.

You need to make sure your house is safe- gates, safety glass if full length windows etc. and have a seperate sleeping area ( if you look after babies I presume)

Edited by luke's mummu, 12 November 2019 - 07:03 AM.

#5 girltribe4

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:14 PM

You will need at least a cert3 in child studies to become a Family Day Care Educator.
Yes your own child will count in your 4 preschool aged numbers , you could always do before or after school care to bulk up your pay. I have my 3yr old with me and he loves the company and activities .
There is a LOT of paperwork and regulations which very rarely can be done while children are sleeping (allowing for 15min sleep checks) but I generally end up doing it in the evenings or weekends.
Depending on what State you are in I would get in touch with a few schemes and see what their fees are like and what rules they have and go with one that aligns best with you.

#6 melanieb530

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:34 PM

I did it 4 days a week for over 9 years in the 1990’s. I knew a few Educators who only worked 3 days a week although most worked full time. Really enjoyed it. No petrol/parking/commuting etc.
You might be open 7.30 till 5.30 but if you work 8.30 - 4.30 in a regular job you’re still out of the house for that long anyway unless you live very close to work.
You can select your preferred age group but if you only choose 3 - 5 year olds it’s going to take longer to fill your vacancies than if you are open to babies.
At one stage I had 4 all aged  between 8 and 14 months but they all stayed with me until they started full time school so it was great to have all the kids at the same ages for 4 years.
Pay is much better now as you can set your own fees in line with the going rate in your area whereas we used to have a set fee. More paperwork these days though but not too much once you get going. Highly recommend it overall.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.