Nursing while pregnant

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AlmondCapPls

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:32 AM

Hi ladies,

I’m about 6 weeks pregnant and am breastfeeding my 6mo old. I’d love to continue until after bub is born and tandem feed.

Has anyone breastfed through pregnancy and tandem fed? If so what challenges did you come across and how did you get through them?

I’ve read that milk can dry up, bub might wean when colostrum comes in and nursing aversions are the main struggles.

Any other info is appreciated.

#2 Jamelex

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:30 PM

I BF while pregnant, twice, but both times toddler self-weaned before baby was born so haven’t tandem-fed.
I had a larger age gap though, both times toddler was about 17months when I became pregnant, DS1 BF about 4 months further, DS2 only about 2months further.

#3 MummaBlossom

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:33 PM

Hi OP. Congratulations!

I fell pregnant with #2 when #1 was 2 years old and still bf'ing frequently. The only struggle I had was the tenderness of my nipples throughout pregnancy. I would just grit my teeth and breathe through it, unfortunately.

#1 never experienced nursing aversion and I tandem fed until he weaned after turning 3. #1 was on the breast about 17hours after I delivered #2.

Deciding to tandem feed instead of wean was the best decision for us. It made the transition to a family of four much smoother than we had anticipated.

Good luck!

#4 Starflash

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:59 PM

Yep, DS1 was about 2.75 when DS2 was born.  No problems, but we noticed the laxative effect of the colostrum on the older one in the months before! Luckily was well toilet trained (EC) so not a real issue.
It was definitely helpful to have an extra mouth to feed when I got the occasional blocked duct that needed draining.
Early on I kept the older one mostly restricted to the right side as it was more convenient for me to feed the baby on the left, either cradled or in a sling.

#5 400

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:45 PM

Hi AlmondCapPls

I’m 33 weeks at the moment and DS is 17 months, still BF.

DS is an infrequent feeder as he is too busy during the day to BF and drinks from a sipper most of the time, but I still feed every evening.

I stopped expressing around 12 weeks as he was 12 months old and swapped to cow’s milk then, but he was exclusively breast milk fed prior to that. I persisted until then for him but suffered immensely from morning sickness this time around- I found the nausea was much, much worse when BF/pumping (fortunately I’m not a vomited though). I think the letdown hormones trigger the MS and so I got very fed up with feeding a pump and let DS take the lead with when he wanted to feed. I still get waves every now and then when feeding but I’m on meds still to help the MS as well which seems to hold it at bay enough.

The other biggest issue I have had is nipple pain and sensitivity, especially when DS was teething and decided to have experimental bites. Holy bejeesus the pain was excruciating- he learned very quickly that biting was a no no. Now it only hurts with latching, and it’s still really painful (especially since he swaps frequently - he’s not feeding for sustenance but for routine and comfort) but after latching it’s fine.

I haven’t noticed any issues with supply but I feed so much less than at the start anyway so it is really hard to tell. I’ve never had a problem of wanting to get milk out and not having any available, if that makes sense.

DS has not given me any indication that the flavour has changed, or if it has it certainly doesn’t bother him. I don’t know when colostrum comes in- my milk is still white but seems a bit greasier so I have no idea if it’s milk or colostrum!

I think it’s highly variable between women and babies as to how they respond. I think some have a really sensitive supply while others don’t and some babies care more than others!

Give it a go and see what happens. Worst case is you or your child decide it’s not working or your body decides for you!

Good luck x

#6 knottygirl

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:28 PM

View PostJamelex, on 12 November 2019 - 12:30 PM, said:

I BF while pregnant, twice, but both times toddler self-weaned before baby was born so haven’t tandem-fed.
I had a larger age gap though, both times toddler was about 17months when I became pregnant, DS1 BF about 4 months further, DS2 only about 2months further.

I had the exact same experience. Breastfeeding both toddlers and they self weaned during the pregnancy. Both self weaned around the 5 month mark. I don’t know if was coincidence or if the milk dried up somewhat or if it changed taste. I feel like it may have changed back to colostrum round then, or on the way back to colostrum. Ds1 was 17 months and ds2 was 22 months. Dd (youngest) kept feeding until she was well past 3.  

So I was pretty much pregnant or breastfeeding for 8 years straight.

Dd is now 6 and I still get small amounts of milk staining in my bras. I reckon I could hook up a pump and have a good supply in a few weeks.

#7 luckynutcracker

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:40 PM

Congratulations!

I can't link on the phone but an article, "Breastfeeding through pregnancy and beyond" on the ABA website is excellent and covers all the issues including situations like yours, when baby is under 12 months.

#8 meohmy

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM

I breastfed while pregnant twice and went on to tandem feed both times. No real issues with any of it. On both occasions my supply took a dip around 7 weeks pregnant but bounced back within a week. Towards the end I was more sensitive and sometimes felt an aversion but concentrated on distracting myself. All were major boobaholics and never showed a sign of weaning. They were both amazingly good about sharing once the baby was born and I had no issues juggling them both. Good luck, it was great for us and hopefully it works out for you too.

#9 opki

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:50 AM

Congratulations!
I was in a very similar situation to you. I found out I was pregnant with #2 when #1 was about 6m old and still exclusively BF. I pushed through feeding all through the pregnancy. When #1 was about 11 months old my milk mostly dried up so my oldest dramatically increased his water and food intake. Then #2 was born when #1 was 15 months old and still bf. #1 continued bf until 2.5 years old when we’re were able to have a conversation about stopping. I then continued to bf #2 until 2.5 and go through the same process. I found tandem feeding to be a really lovely way for them to bond, and it was so helpful to have an older one to feed if I started to get a blocked duct etc. they used to hold hands while bf sometimes and it was so sweet!
One of the reasons I didn’t want to stop bf my older child was because I felt it was going to be a big enough adjustment having a sibling and I thought it was better to continue with bf so he had one less thing to adjust to.
It worked out really well for us!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.