Astronomical water bill - any relief?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JustMyGirl

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:55 PM

We have just received our water bill for the last 3 Months. It’s more than $2,400. We have identified and corrected the leakage
that caused it but I was wondering if there is any way to get the water company to give us some relief, I’m thinking of a discount of some sort. Has anyone had any experience with this?

#2 rosie28

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:57 PM

There would be if the water company had caused the leak, but otherwise I suppose it’s worth a phone call but I think it’s unlikely. From their perspective the water has been used. If they say no maybe ask for a payment plan to spread out the extra over a year, they might be amenable to that.

#3 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:03 PM

Some water companies do give you a one off allowance for water leaks. Especially if it was invisible, and fixed immediately after the big bill. Give them a call. Don’t ask, don’t get.

#4 JustMyGirl

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:10 PM

It was invisible and yes it was fixed immediately. As you can imagine we were horrified by this bill. It was our irrigation (dripline, buried underground).

#5 Weavile

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:17 PM

We were able to get a 50% reduction from council after completing an application and providing proof that there was a leak which was just a copy of the plumbers invoice.

#6 JustMyGirl

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:19 PM

From council or from water company?

#7 Ozquoll

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:36 PM

My landlord here in Melbourne was able to get a remittance on a huge water bill caused by old pipes that had rusted through. Don't know the details of how they claimed it though.

#8 chicken_bits

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:36 PM

Defs call the water company. We had an invisible leak at our old house that we rented and we got a $10,000 water bill. :omg:

We disputed it with the landlords and they had to pay but they got a significant reduction on the bill.

Especially for the sewerage portion considering it was a water leak rather than it being sewerage disposal.

You won't know if they can help unless you ask.

Good luck. Those kinds of things are horrifying!

#9 Beancat

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:38 PM

I work for a water utility

call them

#10 Weavile

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:43 PM

View PostJustMyGirl, on 12 November 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

From council or from water company?

Our water is billed through council, so it was through them. Not sure if other areas are different.

#11 Anon wife

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:10 PM

This happened to us too and we got a reduction of 50%, definitely worth asking, good luck!

#12 Cimbom

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:34 PM

We got a bill adjustment due to a leaking pipe

#13 Charli73

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:33 AM

Yep we had an underground leak and got a once off reduction on water bill thanks to water company, we just showed them the plumbers certificate.

#14 JustMyGirl

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:57 AM

thanks everyone, that all sounds very encouraging. i'll see how I go!

#15 nakedrhubarb

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:30 PM

Did you also check that the meter reading on your bill matched what is on your meter? We had a massive bill (from memory it was $3000+) and it turned out to be an error on the part of the person who read the meter.

#16 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:35 PM

View PostJustMyGirl, on 12 November 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

It was invisible and yes it was fixed immediately. As you can imagine we were horrified by this bill. It was our irrigation (dripline, buried underground).

This is why I told my DH that I don’t want irrigation installed under the front lawn. Heard too many horror stories. I’d rather an old fashioned sprinkler.

#17 can'tstayaway

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:59 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 13 November 2019 - 12:35 PM, said:

This is why I told my DH that I don’t want irrigation installed under the front lawn. Heard too many horror stories. I’d rather an old fashioned sprinkler.
You can ask for a tap in the line before the irrigation goes under the lawn. This way you can control it either manually or with an automatic solenoid system. Even if there is a leak in the pipes under the lawn, there is no water to leak out. You’ll notice when one section of lawn is more verdant than the others.

Under lawn irrigation is the best method for water delivery. It trains the roots to grown down for moisture instead of staying on the surface where they are more likely to burn in hot weather. It reduces humidity in the lawn which minimises the opportunity for fungal and mould diseases to take hold. It is more water efficient because there is less lost to evaporation and over spray.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.