What to do with your child's fallen out teeth

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:14 PM

DS pulled his first wobbly tooth out yesterday at school. Cue tooth fairy talk ( obviously from school friends as I haven't really discussed it).

So what do you do with your child's fallen out baby teeth?

Keep them? I've seen on Etsy some really strange keepsake holders with names holes you put each tooth into which is rather extreme.

Bin them?

Bury them in the garden?

My mum mentioned she has some of my baby teeth somewhere and it makes me feel conflicted. Love she felt they are special but somewhat grossed out as well. But I also feel throwing them in the bin feels horrible too.

So what have you done?

#2 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:16 PM

Bin them...

The thought of keeping them to me is a little bit serial killerish.

#3 bakesgirls

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:17 PM

Throw them away.

#4 kadoodle

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:21 PM

Bin. I really don’t like teeth.

#5 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:21 PM

I plan to keep my kids teeth and have them fashioned into various items of jewellery so that everyone can see them as I wander around the shops.

Just kidding, I’ll bin them.

#6 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:26 PM

Yep - bin......

I kept a few of the first ones, and then came across them about 5 years later and wondered why I'd bothered.

I really can't think of any good reason at all to keep them.

#7 JLCJ

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:28 PM

OK, I'll go against the grain and say that I've kept my kids' teeth (they're now 9 and 10 years old so still expecting a few more - and they still believe in the Tooth Fairy!).

Not sure why I've kept them but I figure they belong to the kids so they can decide what to do with them.  If they decide in a few years' time that they want to throw them out, that's fine with me.  And if, at that time, they're silently thinking their Mum's a freak, that's fine too - LOL!  (Or not silently... hmmmm....)

#8 Hollycoddle

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:29 PM

Kept the first tooth and binned the rest.

#9 71Cath

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:31 PM

Bin.  I really hate teeth that aren't in mouths.

#10 Babetty

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:40 PM

I binned them. I may have felt slightly sentimental about the first one, but the sense of "that's gross" was stronger!

#11 maliwoo

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:46 PM

Throw them away

#12 Apple14

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:47 PM

My daughter lost her 1st one last week. In the bin it went.

#13 Paddlepop

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:02 PM

I want to bin them but DH insists on keeping them. He says they contain stem cells that might be useful for the child later in life when medical science advances. Creeps me out but as long as he keeps them away from me I can deal with that.

#14 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:07 PM

Throw them in the bin.

#15 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:09 PM

View PostPaddlepop, on 12 November 2019 - 04:02 PM, said:

I want to bin them but DH insists on keeping them. He says they contain stem cells that might be useful for the child later in life when medical science advances. Creeps me out but as long as he keeps them away from me I can deal with that.

Do they have to be cryogenically frozen then?

#16 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:15 PM

I googled because I had to know :lol:

I think they need to be stored properly.

The baby teeth they are using for stem cells are either wisdom teeth in adults or they are in patients are young enough to still have baby teeth.

I dont think teeth stored in a ziplock bag for years and years are going to be overly helpful.

#17 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:15 PM

Ew

#18 Treasure Island

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:25 PM

I have various teeth here but I think I have decided to just keep the first tooth lost of each child and get rid of the rest. I do have a tooth fairy box I can keep them in.

#19 IamtheMumma

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:27 PM

I used to keep them but realised half a drawer was being taken up by envelopes and old teeth. Now I bin them.

#20 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:31 PM

I keep them in a jar.

#21 red_squirrel

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:35 PM

I chuck them in a small box. Figure I’ll keep them until the kids are grown in case one of them becomes some type of weird artist and has need for them.

If they don’t want them I might put them in a wall cavity with a freaky note to scare someone 100 years in future when they find them.

ok I wouldn’t really do that. But it would be kind of funny. Mean, but funny.

Edited by red_squirrel, 12 November 2019 - 04:37 PM.

#22 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:44 PM

DH has kept DD’s teeth in a little plastic bag. Bit gross but at least they are small!

#23 Twinmum+2

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:28 PM

My now adult DD was absolutely heartbroken back when she discovered that I was the tooth fairy and that all her teeth had gone in the bin.  I'm not sure what I was supposed to do with them.  

You have been warned...

#24 BeAwesome

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:48 PM

My DDs first 4 teeth had to be surgically removed, so I've just chucked the rest of them in the little medical jar that we got the first ones in.

#25 Silverstreak

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:52 PM

In the bin, teeth skeeve me out. Kept a lock of DS' hair from his first haircut though.

Most of the time DS seems to swallow his loose teeth though!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.