9yo son pulling hair out

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 123Babies4Me

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:45 PM

My son started pulling his hair out earlier this year. He is now doing it constantly, sometimes with both hands, and has given himself numerous bald spots. I have cut his hair very short on occasion but as soon as its long enough he starts again.

I have an appt with a psych in Jan (earliest I could get) - they book him once a week for six weeks.

I'm not sure how to help him. He does seem to struggle with anxiety and regulating his emotions at times, but is also quite bright, makes friends easily, and enjoys lots of things. He has had some change in his life e.g. moving school and house, and is also the eldest of five siblings so perhaps some of these things play into it.

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this before?

#2 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:13 PM

this behaviour actually has a specific term and is commonly associated with anxiety. You can seem normal and be bright and social and still be highly anxious. It doesn’t always present as people think it should.

My child (almost 11) has done this on and off since he was around 6. It means anxiety is peaking and he is attempting to regulate/calm himself. It’s a type of self soothing (he also used to bite his own arm on occasion). Unfortunately the behaviour becomes ingrained and we needed to redirect soothing toward activities that don’t cause harm. We’ve used a number of different things over the year from breathing, to stress balls, to music. The only way we have managed to get it under control is by dealing with the underlying issues causing the anxiety. And my child also takes medication that helps with anxiety. It still appears at times. I would ring the psych’s office and see if you can’t get on the cancellation list.

There is a great image floating around at the moment on FB which gives some idea of ways anxiety can present. https://www.facebook...544?d=n&sfns=mo

#3 Mmmcheese

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:58 AM

I had a friend who did this growing up. It's tricho... Something? She is now (30 years later) getting treatment for anxiety. Good on you for getting the psychologist appointment to help him.

#4 José

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:30 AM

i wonder if the psychologist youre booked in to see might put you on a cancellation list so you might get started a little sooner?

#5 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:46 AM

You need to see a paediatrician as well. I have heard very positive stories about anti-anxiety medication resolving this issue quickly after extended efforts with talk therapy.

#6 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:09 AM

View PostPooks Combusted, on 13 November 2019 - 06:46 AM, said:

You need to see a paediatrician as well. I have heard very positive stories about anti-anxiety medication resolving this issue quickly after extended efforts with talk therapy.

Yeah, to be honest it’s the the combo that works for my kiddo.

#7 2019Kindness

Posted 05 December 2019 - 05:04 AM

My youngest primary school aged daughter was doing this behaviour pulling her hair out in bits and pieces it was terrible. I kept asking her if anything was wrong until one of my friends pointed out is she being sexually abused??
I then asked my daughter is anyone touching or hurting  her on her private parts. My daughter bursted into tears and said there has been two of other girls in her class where they go to girls toilet and one of them starts touching there private’s, my daughter said she didn’t like it but felt pressured to stand there to have this done to her. I was in shock, I remained calm and the next day we went straight to school to talk to the teacher. It soon stopped as the girls got spoken too, my daughter was happy that finally after a few months of keeping it in that the secret was out of what one girl was doing to her and another girl. My daughter knew it was wrong but really liked these girls especially perpetrator. Anyway the girl that was doing this was further investigated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.