Spin off - Children and oversharing - tell us yours

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 TheXmasSheep

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:27 AM

A sort of spin off from another thread.

Children and oversharing. Have your kids brought home the overshare to you, or have you been the subject of the oversharing?

DS who talks and talks and talks, always filling me in on his day, was maybe 10 or 11 at the time, came home from school and told me his mates mother had gotten breast implants. I didn’t need to know. He was just sharing. I wonder sometimes what he shares about our family life...

#2 cstar

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:41 AM

The only one I can think of right now is a friend of mines dd had gone on an excursion and she told the mums who had gone along that her mum doesn’t like to wash the dishes. One of the mums went up to her after school and said. Soooo I hear you don’t like washing the dishes.

#3 seayork2002

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:53 AM

I can't remember the exact words but my son told someone at school 'daddy likes to hit me' or something like that, what the circumstances were was DS was sitting on DH's head and trying to hit him with a pillow and DH and I were trying to stop DS because DH started choking.

Knowing DS this is probably one of the tamer ones

#4 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:16 AM

Haha I was going to start the same kind of thing..

One of mine came home once and said blah went and visited her dad in jail on the weekend. We had noticed dad hadn’t been at drop off and pick ups but didn’t expect that

My kids have always had that one kid in their class where they will say this or that happened and I could blah and be right. Not in a bad way but they would always tell stories about what was happening in their classroom and certain kids feature heavily for certain reasons.

#5 Hollycoddle

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:19 AM

Daycare doing an outing, walk-through of the local shops. All the shops were pointed out by name then DS pipes up 'and don't forget the bottle shop!' Lol

#6 MissBehaving

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:39 AM

My DD is a constant over-sharer, she delighted in telling everyone about "Mummy got in trouble from the police!" after I got a speed camera fine.

And another memorable one was to my brother not long ago - "Guess what uncle, mummy had blood coming out her 'gina this morning!"

#7 CallMeFeral

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:00 AM

I picked DD up from daycare one day and one of the carers said "heading home for a nice gin and tonic?"
I was a little confused till she said "DD was asking all the carers whether they like gin and tonic, because her mum likes gin and tonic every night..."

Edited by CallMeFeral, 13 November 2019 - 09:39 AM.

#8 Percival

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:07 AM

When learning about colours my son told his teachers that mummy likes all colours of wine. I had just announced my pregnancy.

#9 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:14 AM

I was with my dad and went to the loo, DS (1.5yo at the time) came with me. When we were back with my dad, DS proudly announced “Mumma big wee” :lol: I was just impressed with one of his first 3 word sentences.

#10 Freddie'sMum

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:07 AM

I am not close to my mother.  The girls know this.  We have been back to NZ on numerous occasions and have spent time with mum (Nana).

One day, DD#2 asked me why I didn't love Nana as much as Grandad (my Dad).  I told her that when I was a kid, Mum left me and my siblings and Grandad had to raise us and be Mum and Dad and go to work too.  

Shortly afterwards, I phoned Mum to say hello and passed the phone onto the girls so they could talk to her - DD#1 does the usual answering of questions about school / friends / stuff she's doing and I hand the phone to DD#2 - the very first question out of her mouth is:

"Why did you leave Mummy when she was a kid?"

#11 can'tstayaway

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:19 AM

One of the parents at kindy was a police officer and came for a talk in uniform. All very impressive to the kids except one, who stated that it wasn’t that special,  his mum had a pair of handcuffs in her bedroom drawer 🤣

I’m friends with an early childhood teacher at a fancy school. She knows so much of the private lives of some prominent members of society lol

#12 yule_maiden

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:05 PM

I have 100% no doubt in my mind that I've been the subject of the overshare. I thank my kids' teachers for their discretion and nonjudgement every year hahaha.

I was in DD's class, doing literacy something-a-rather with her and a group.  We started joking about the affectionate nn's parent's give their children. DD announced "Dad calls us monkey butts" laughing continued.   DD's friend announces "mum calls me a little sh**!  I know the family, they're gorgeous people. All I could say through silent laughter and tears was "don't worry,  all mum's say that when no one is listening...". DD agreed...

#13 MincePieMasterchef

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:29 PM

DD overheard me saying to a friend Id probably have one more baby if I were a bit younger.

Later she told me she asked her science teacher is my Mum too old to have any babies and what is the oldest you can be.

Im not sure how the science teacher responded to that given that she wouldnt know how old I am!

#14 ~elle~

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:36 PM

Putting away the keepsakes  -  I recently found DS2's fathers day card from last year . Coloured in beautifully with " My Dad fake sleeps to get out of chores" written across the front!!!!

Love it - sooo true. Ha ha ha

#15 EmmaFY

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:05 PM

Friday morning on my way to work, I dropped DS off at daycare. He was having a rough morning and was bawling and saying "no school Mummy, I want to go to the pub with you".

I had several people shoot me a judgy look and then had to explain that we went out for dinner to a pub the night before, which had a play area.

But thanks for making me look like I was ditching my job for the day and off to get drunk ;)

Being a teacher, I have been on the receiving end of some overshares.

Many pregnancies announced before they were supposed to be.

Then there are the two big ones that always stick out in my mind:

One of my students told me his dad had a girlfriend and his mum doesn't know and he was unsure if he has to give 2 mother's day presents and how would he hide a second one in his bag so his mum wouldn't see it.

Show and tell... never let your kids pack their item without checking what it is first. Had one student show up with his mum's ahem... special friend, which was pretty anatomically correct.
This was my first year of teaching and I had no idea what to do or say when the kiddos asked me what it did. :omg:

Edited by EmmaFY, 13 November 2019 - 01:19 PM.

#16 IkeaAddict

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:05 PM

Last wekk I had one of DS friends mum come and have a quiet chat to me about drug addiction and how if I needed her help to lether know. I'm wondering what the hell she was talking about and then found out that DS had tld everyone I'm a drug addict because I like coffee LOL

#17 AmicusCuriae

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:19 PM

Dropping off 4yo DD to daycare and she waves me off with a cheery ‘good luck today Mummy, talking to the judge!’  Teacher looks at me with one eyebrow raised.

I hurriedly tried to explain to the teacher that I am a lawyer, go to court for work, not there because I’m in a bit of trouble.  Thanks DD!

One advantage of almost 2yo DS having little to say for himself is it will be longer before he can overshare!

#18 gracie1978

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:20 PM

When I was four I told my kinder teacher that my mum drinks and drives ALL THE TIME it was in the middle of a massive national campaign to stop drunk driving.

The principal took her aside for a quiet word, turns out I was being a little literal and talking about the juice boxes we all used to drink in the car in the way home ;)

#19 No Drama Please

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:22 PM

Deleted

Edited by No Drama Please, 23 November 2019 - 06:27 AM.

#20 123ChristmasTree

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:54 PM

I once has to back the Ute and trailer out of the driveway and didn’t want to run over the kids. So I locked them in the house (so they wouldn’t stand In the driveway). Normally I would have them in with me but their was stuff in the cab, no car seats etc. I told them I would be two minutes while they watched cartoons. They were crying and waving  at the window.

Next day at kinder DS told them mummy locked them inside the house all alone  and drove away.

#21 tily

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:47 PM

My then 2yr old son told daycare teachers I locked his sister in the cupboard (a sleeping newborn in a bassinette so I could have a shower and she was safe from him)

Daughter told the same daycare teacher that “I like it when Daddy plays with my giggle button in the bath”  Note: giggle button was our cute name for belly button! You know, like the dolls that giggle when you press their belly. That was a fun conversation.

#22 Procrastinator5000

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:07 PM

View Postcstar, on 13 November 2019 - 07:41 AM, said:

The only one I can think of right now is a friend of mines dd had gone on an excursion and she told the mums who had gone along that her mum doesn’t like to wash the dishes. One of the mums went up to her after school and said. Soooo I hear you don’t like washing the dishes.

I mean, does anyone? ;)

#23 Ollie83

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:13 PM

From my work life I’ve heard about speeding fines, daddy jumping on mummy in bed, new babies before they’ve been announced, parents pub habits, a child’s single parent told me the father was hospital dying - the child was very vocal in saying he was actually in the lock up (jail).

#24 retemac

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:29 PM

Mines a little sad but it really sticks in my mind.
When I experienced a miscarriage both my children spent the next few months telling all and sundry that 'mummy had a baby in her tummy but it died'. Pretty much anyone I came in contact with got told. Even now almost 2 years later they still occasionally feel the need to let peeps know.

#25 MincePieMasterchef

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:37 PM

View PostIkeaAddict, on 13 November 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

Last wekk I had one of DS friends mum come and have a quiet chat to me about drug addiction and how if I needed her help to lether know. I'm wondering what the hell she was talking about and then found out that DS had tld everyone I'm a drug addict because I like coffee LOL

:rofl: :rofl:  I will join you at coffee drinkers anonymous

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.