Shorts that actually look good on

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 cstar

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:50 PM

OMG I can't find a pair of shorts that actually look good.

I am a size 14-16 at the moment and the shorts are either too big or too small.  The too big make me look huge!  The too small well make me look ridiculous and are obviously uncomfortable as they are too tight.

When they do fit okay, they are too short or too long, or are too wide.  I don't know If I'm just fussy, but I just want a pair of shorts that fit properly and look nice.

Anyone have any ideas where I can find such a pair.

Not online though, I have to try them on first, I hate buying things online and then having to return it, as chances are I probably won't and it's a big waste of money.

Thanks

#2 Hands Up

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:03 PM

Country road have nice shorts with a thick waistband in a heavy linen. They are very nice on.

#3 PrincessPeach

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:16 PM

Big W shorts have been quite nice & have a littlebit of stretch.

#4 cstar

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:25 PM

I never go to Country Road, not sure why, but I will be going this weekend now thanks.

I don't have a Big W close by unfortunately.

#5 BurningBright

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:08 PM

Uniqlo has some nice shorts in great colours

#6 FiveAus

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:09 PM

My very favourite shorts are a pair of Levi bermuda shorts. They are just denim jeans shorts but they are a nice, flattering cut and a good leg length and width.

#7 Soontobe7

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:13 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 14 November 2019 - 01:16 PM, said:

Big W shorts have been quite nice & have a littlebit of stretch.

Yes these. And they are like $8 or maybe $12. A lot cheaper than Country Road I would imagine 🤣

#8 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:24 PM

I got some from marks and spencer in Singapore, but can’t find them online now. Must be out of season. They were like these below, but green. Cotton, fitted, comfy, and a good length. Keep an eye out for them. They had a big range when we were there, and they were nice designs, not too small and tight, but not big and baggy either.

https://www.marksand...s/p/clp60150909

#9 Lifesgood

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:47 PM

View Postcstar, on 14 November 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

I never go to Country Road, not sure why, but I will be going this weekend now thanks.

I don't have a Big W close by unfortunately.
The only shorts I have found that look smart on and fit well as I have got older and heavier are country road walk shorts. They can be a little long on me as I am a short-a*se but I iron the bottom inch up and they are good. I'm a size 12 and wear CR size 10 shorts. Trenery (an off-shoot of CR) also have nice bermuda shorts. I only ever buy navy or black as they are slimming.

https://www.countryr...Walk-Short.html

#10 Hands Up

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:37 PM

Hmmm looks like this summer they’ve made the shorts I like a bit shorter. That’s a shame. Last summer they were at least 5-8 cm longer.

https://m.countryroa...inen-Short.html

#11 red_squirrel

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:00 PM

I have never found a pair of shorts that look good on me after the age of ten. That’s is irrespective of my weight.
Just like I have never found a hat that looks good, ever.

Some people just don’t suit shorts (or hats). Is there a reason it has to be shorts? Such as a regulation.

Wide leg linen pants are just as cool (temperature wise) and more suitable for some people. Although again it’s an item that some people can’t wear. Perhaps also tapered cropped trousers.

#12 cstar

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:24 PM

Wide legs pants on me look ridiculous.  I run hot so long pants even cropped ones make me hot.

#13 Fluffy Potatoes

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:58 PM

These ones aren’t bad, my thighs don’t seem to eat them like other shorts.
https://www.kmart.co...-shorts/2693804

#14 nom_de_plume

Posted 15 November 2019 - 06:27 AM

I have had luck with stores like Kathmandu and Anaconda. They seem to be a good length.

#15 lizzzard

Posted 15 November 2019 - 06:35 AM

I have a hard time with shorts and find a loose skirt far more flattering especially as I’m getting older. I do have one pair of knee length tailored shorts but I find it hard to choose an appropriate occasion to wear them!

#16 blimkybill

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:00 AM

I like Jacqui E shorts, they are like business pants but short. I think they look bettrr on than loose shorts. Always fit me well.
Eg https://www.jacquie....ort?colour=TRUE NAVY

#17 Soontobegran

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:34 AM

On me.......the type of short that goes from the waist to the ankle. :huh:
Nobody sees my legs....sarongs are my friend near the water and light weight harem pants are better on me for wearing in the heat.

#18 seayork2002

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:34 AM

View PostBurningBright, on 14 November 2019 - 06:08 PM, said:

Uniqlo has some nice shorts in great colours

This, is what I was going to say!

#19 MarciaB

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:02 AM

I don't wear shorts often (having reverted to the denim skirt - very school-mum like - but well I find them so easy).  I did buy these soft shorts from Birdsnest and I do like them!

https://www.birdsnes...tte-short#Black

I also have some white ones from Sussan that I bought last year.  Similar to these
https://www.sussan.c...uda-short-white

#20 lucky 2

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:41 AM

None look good on me, unfortunately.
I've got one pair of Regatta shorts that are above the knee, light grey color, they're the best I could get.

#21 Bearynice

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:01 AM

There are a lot of soft shorts around this year. Places like best n less, rivers and Suzanne grade.
I got a great pair of mid length soft denim shorts at Suzanne grae.
I find a good pair of shorts tricky to find too.

#22 spr_maiden

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for asking this OP.
I used to love shorts, just so easy and comfy. I was a pants/shorts girl all the way. Knee-, or just above knee length straight or slim skater type shorts were the best.  
Now,  that my thighs rub together and my body shape is completely different,  I cannot for the life of me find shorts that look good or are comfortable.  Will give some of these a try.

#23 Bono25

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:52 PM

View Postnom_de_plume, on 15 November 2019 - 06:27 AM, said:

I have had luck with stores like Kathmandu and Anaconda. They seem to be a good length.

Length is good.  I always find that they seem to forget that people have hips though... :)

#24 mayahlb

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:07 PM

I’ve, um taking to shopping in the men’s section for longer shorts. I’ll admit I wear shorter ones (mid thigh) though as it’s so hot where I live. My fav pair at the moment is from target and they are stretchy and have a low/mid rise. I think they are called Chino shorts. The target cargo shorts are also a good length on my height (156cm).

#25 coffy11

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:36 PM

I bought some Target boyfriend shorts the other week.  The most comfy shorts I've ever worn.  Good length and slightly stretchy
https://www.target.c...d-wash/62292030

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.