Jump to content

Real estate photos at their fakest


  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Lunafreya

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:54 PM

https://www.abc.net....isting/11703152

This is just awful, poor man who died but stingy people who couldn't clean properly.

Glad fair trading is taking it on

#2 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:17 PM

That’s disgraceful!

#3 Mrs Zee

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:29 PM

View PostLunafreya, on 14 November 2019 - 01:54 PM, said:

https://www.abc.net....isting/11703152

This is just awful, poor man who died but stingy people who couldn't clean properly.

Glad fair trading is taking it on

Who do you actually expect to clean it?

#4 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:33 PM

The issue is the doctored photos.

Whoever would benefit from the sale should pay for the cleaning--there are firms specialising in cleaning these sorts of homes.

#5 Lunafreya

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:35 PM

Yes, there are companies that specialize in cleaning crime scenes.

#6 hills mum bec

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:38 PM

View PostMrs Zee, on 14 November 2019 - 02:29 PM, said:

Who do you actually expect to clean it?

I don't think any amount of cleaning will do that property any good.  The only think you could do is rip out the carpets and replace & paint the walls.  All costs money and if the only money in the estate is the actual house itself then it doesn't get done and is sold as is.  Does not excuse the RE Agent for posting photoshopped photos.

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:57 PM

People interested in 'who would clean this' should have a read of the fascinating 'The Trauma Cleaner' .


https://www.angusrob...aRoC5sUQAvD_BwE


This is one remarkable woman, with an amazing story, along with insights into her business.

Sure made me feel better about my messy house.

#8 Mrs Zee

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:01 PM

View Posthills mum bec, on 14 November 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:



I don't think any amount of cleaning will do that property any good.  The only think you could do is rip out the carpets and replace & paint the walls.  All costs money and if the only money in the estate is the actual house itself then it doesn't get done and is sold as is.  Does not excuse the RE Agent for posting photoshopped photos.

Yep. Exactly.

The RE aren't going to sacrifice any of their commission to pay to have it cleaned. They are happy with the money they'll make anyway because they know it will sell.

Obviously there aren't beneficiaries who care enough to clean it.

Doctoring the photos is stupid and the RE should be investigated.

But stating it should have been cleaned is unrealistic.

#9 Hollycoddle

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:02 PM

I don't know that they were altered digitally, it looks like they've just pulled up records from a previous sales history where the property was in better nick and gone with those pics.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 14 November 2019 - 03:02 PM.


#10 Hollycoddle

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:04 PM

View PostMrs Zee, on 14 November 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:


The RE aren't going to sacrifice any of their commission to pay to have it cleaned. They are happy with the money they'll make anyway because they know it will sell.


If they're so sure it will sell then why the need to doctor the photos?  Probably better to just play up the good points of the place eg. location.

#11 Mrs Zee

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:06 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 14 November 2019 - 02:57 PM, said:

People interested in 'who would clean this' should have a read of the fascinating 'The Trauma Cleaner' .


https://www.angusrob...aRoC5sUQAvD_BwE


This is one remarkable woman, with an amazing story, along with insights into her business.

Sure made me feel better about my messy house.

I know there are people who clean places like this. My point was who is going to do it in situations like this? Where there were no loved ones and the place will sell regardless of the condition.

#12 seayork2002

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:12 PM

I presume the photos are of earlier shots rather than faked, as long as it is of the same property I am not sure there is a law that says the photo has to be taken specifically at that precise moment

Yes I would be annoyed if I wasted time viewing to find the photos different from reality but not sure if it is against a law?

#13 born.a.girl

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:19 PM

View PostMrs Zee, on 14 November 2019 - 03:06 PM, said:

I know there are people who clean places like this. My point was who is going to do it in situations like this? Where there were no loved ones and the place will sell regardless of the condition.

O.k., so you meant who would pay for it to be cleaned.  Fair point, and I agree, who knows who the beneficiaries of his will are, and that's presuming he had a will, or even has beneficiaries who can be traced.

No one else is going to care.

#14 born.a.girl

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:21 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 14 November 2019 - 03:12 PM, said:

I presume the photos are of earlier shots rather than faked, as long as it is of the same property I am not sure there is a law that says the photo has to be taken specifically at that precise moment

Yes I would be annoyed if I wasted time viewing to find the photos different from reality but not sure if it is against a law?


I'd have thought it should be against the law to misrepresent so significantly what you're selling.

You can't even sell a packet of biscuits with a bit of cheese on top in the photo on the front without putting 'serving suggestion'.

I had a feeling, too, that a law came in somewhere that if a 'significant event' (which were specified) happened at a property then prospective buyers had to be informed. Had a feeling it was a result of a murder in Sydney, where a bloke murdered his parents and a sibling. New owners found out later. Can't remember the rest.

#15 Lunafreya

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:23 PM

Lin family, I think it was.

#16 seayork2002

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:25 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 14 November 2019 - 03:21 PM, said:

I'd have thought it should be against the law to misrepresent so significantly what you're selling.

You can't even sell a packet of biscuits with a bit of cheese on top in the photo on the front without putting 'serving suggestion'.

I had a feeling, too, that a law came in somewhere that if a 'significant event' (which were specified) happened at a property then prospective buyers had to be informed. Had a feeling it was a result of a murder in Sydney, where a bloke murdered his parents and a sibling. New owners found out later. Can't remember the rest.

Yeah it should come in, in the UK when we sold out house it was legally required if we had any issues with the neighbours we had to disclose, we didn't but it stuck in my head.

Not to this scale but I know of lots of real estate photos that are taken a few years before not hiding anything major that I know of but I notice small differences

#17 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:26 PM

Sometimes it helps to read the linked article before making wrong statements,

'A forensic analysis of the pictures revealed at least one of them, of the master bedroom, had been altered digitally.'

#18 seayork2002

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:26 PM

View PostLunafreya, on 14 November 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

Lin family, I think it was.

Not that one there was another not too far from that one from memory (I have been told about it but I was overseas at the time)

#19 seayork2002

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:29 PM

View PostAcidulous Osprey, on 14 November 2019 - 03:26 PM, said:

Sometimes it helps to read the linked article before making wrong statements,

'A forensic analysis of the pictures revealed at least one of them, of the master bedroom, had been altered digitally.'

If we were in court, being arrested or in a education setting I would agree

#20 born.a.girl

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 14 November 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

Yeah it should come in, in the UK when we sold out house it was legally required if we had any issues with the neighbours we had to disclose, we didn't but it stuck in my head.

Not to this scale but I know of lots of real estate photos that are taken a few years before not hiding anything major that I know of but I notice small differences


Yeah, I'm not sure a body shaped hole in the carpet quite qualifies  as a 'small difference', though.

Wide angle lenses are bad enough.  Doorways that look like you could get an elephant through them.

#21 hills mum bec

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 14 November 2019 - 03:12 PM, said:

I presume the photos are of earlier shots rather than faked, as long as it is of the same property I am not sure there is a law that says the photo has to be taken specifically at that precise moment

Yes I would be annoyed if I wasted time viewing to find the photos different from reality but not sure if it is against a law?

I work in Real Estate.  Most property photos are edited to a certain degree.  You might make the sky look bluer or the grass greener, might photo shop out a reflection in a mirror or window.  You are not allowed to alter a photo so that the property looks different than what can reasonably achieved with a bit of a clean.  You can't photoshop out permanent structures such as power lines, fences or clotheslines but you can photoshop out removable furniture, a car in the driveway, for sale sign or just general clutter.

https://www.realesta...hoto-retouching

I'm not sure if it is different state by state but in SA you do need to disclose to potential purchasers if there has been a violent death on the property (including suicide) but not if the death is from natural causes.

#22 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:44 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 14 November 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

If we were in court, being arrested or in a education setting I would agree

Because speculating wildly and telling us the laws in Britain are so useful?

You do you.

#23 born.a.girl

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:44 PM

Thirty years ago I bought a house that was sold as a block of land, it was so derelict. It had an attic that you accessed from some narrow stairs near the back door - the back door that a five year old could have got through even when locked.

I didn't sleep too well those first few nights.

Funnily enough it didn't ever occur to me to wonder if the bloke had died in the house, and he was 98, and a deceased estate.

#24 seayork2002

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:46 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 14 November 2019 - 03:41 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm not sure a body shaped hole in the carpet quite qualifies  as a 'small difference', though.

Wide angle lenses are bad enough.  Doorways that look like you could get an elephant through them.

sorry I was meaning that as 2 different things (sort of connected in my head though)

View PostAcidulous Osprey, on 14 November 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

Because speculating wildly and telling us the laws in Britain are so useful?

You do you.

I never said the laws there are useful

#25 alias grace

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:47 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 14 November 2019 - 03:21 PM, said:

I'd have thought it should be against the law to misrepresent so significantly what you're selling.

You can't even sell a packet of biscuits with a bit of cheese on top in the photo on the front without putting 'serving suggestion'.

I had a feeling, too, that a law came in somewhere that if a 'significant event' (which were specified) happened at a property then prospective buyers had to be informed. Had a feeling it was a result of a murder in Sydney, where a bloke murdered his parents and a sibling. New owners found out later. Can't remember the rest.

Yes, it would be misleading or deceptive conduct under consumer law I would think.  Although, I doubt any consumer would suffer any loss as they would see the state of the house upon undertaking a viewing.  

I think that the specific case you are referring to is Sef Gonzales.  IIRC, the estate of the Gonzales family did not disclose the fact that the home had been a murder site and the new buyers were subsequently able to void the sale on the basis that it should have been disclosed.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

 
 
Advertisement
 

Top 5 Viewed Articles

 
Advertisement
 
 
 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.