Book suggestions for DS 7 years

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 froglett

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:18 AM

Keen for some book recommendations for DS (aged 7 / end of year 1). He's a reasonable reader (I think level 24 NSW?) and has just finished the Bad Guys series.

Santa wants to get him some books that will suck in him for the Christmas holidays - reading is about the only thing that keeps him still for 5 seconds.

Can anyone share what their kids are into? Thanks :)

#2 cheshire_cat

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:25 AM

Cressida Cowell!

The Dragons books and Wizards of Once. Excellent books!

#3 ........

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:26 AM

Magic treehouse series?

#4 Jingleflea

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:30 AM

First harry potter book, but you might have to read to him.

Ahn Do books are popular

Maybe a non fiction book on dinosaurs or space or whatever he's into.

#5 Riotproof

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:33 AM

Around that age, ds loved Captain Underpants.

Dav Pilkey, also had a few other books that he liked.
Ben Hatke Mighty Jack series is very good. Graphic novel, so not that much text but a good story.

He might also be ready for the treehouse series by Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton.

Also, if he is interested in science and non fiction, the Ripleys books are good, plus kids national geographic big book of why, space, animals etc.

#6 #notallcats

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:42 AM

I agree with all the suggestions so far... mine love/d Bad Guys and also Captain Underpants, Treehouse series, Ahn Do, Wimpy Kid, maybe Goosebumps (can be a bit scary).

#7 LucyGoose

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:43 PM

My kids love the anh do books -  weirdo, hot dog and ninja kid,  they are all easy reads and suitable for that age.   I think Ninja kid is slightly more text.  

The treehouse books.

Roald Dahl - my DD is in grade 2 and has been reading through these this year -  James and the giant peach,  BFG,  Fantastic Mr Fox etc.

#8 Orangecake

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:55 PM

In addition to the ones mentioned, dogman has a cult following here. Fact books are popular too

#9 CrankyM

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:58 PM

The dragon series mentioned up thread might be a bit hard for him yet, maybe not so much in decoding the text but understanding what is going on. They are also text heavy compared to the ones you have mentioned.

I'd recommend, An Do (Weir Do or Hot dog series, Ninja Kid if he is fine with more text), Captain Underpants, Dogman would likely be a hit if he loves Bad Guys, the 13 story tree house (Andy Griffiths), the funny kid series, Tom Gates books, the tom Weekly series, Toto the ninja cat, Real pigeons is a graphic novel series similar to Bad Guys.

Non fiction wise mine like books like the Answers to 1001 questions, Why the earth needs the moon and other facts, Why you can't feel the earth spinning,

#10 Dianalynch

Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:00 PM

Ds is on the same reader level, and he enjoys anh do ninja kid and weir do (he’s moved on from hot dog)

Loved the treehouse series and he rereads them

Liked the Tashi series

He’s shown some interest in Roald Dahl and famous five

#11 MGB

Posted 15 November 2019 - 03:50 PM

My son likes Captain underpants, Ninja Kid, Hot dog

#12 Bearynice

Posted 15 November 2019 - 03:58 PM

THat age was all about silly funny reading! Hot dog, ninja kid, capt underpants, weirdo,

Zac power - cool spy with gadgets
Boy vs beast

Roald Dahl
Pokemon books

#13 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:08 PM

Ds 4.5 and DD 6.5 both love the tree house books, captain underpants and dog man and Rainbow Magic, a series of fairy books by daisy meadows.

#14 CG123

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:21 PM

Sorry haven’t read all replies, so sorry for double ups...

Weirdo
Captain Underpants
13th Story Treehouse
Bad Guys
Dog Man
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Hot Dogs
Roald Dahl
Enid Blyton
David Walliams

Read together-
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson

#15 AnythingGoes

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:29 PM

Following for ideas for sane age/level DS!

Another vote for the magic treehouse and the story treehouse series. Ds is a big fan of both.

He also really enjoyed the Marge in Charge books by Isla Fisher.

#16 BeAwesome

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:36 PM

My 7 year old DD's favourite is Dog Man, she also likes Captain Underpants, the Treehouse books, Wimpy Kid, and similar mentioned above.

A less known series she enjoys is Bad Kitty by Nick Bruel.  The first book in the series was a picture book, but it turned into a chapter book series at a reading level similar too those above. Even my 11 year old who these days is reading upper middle/YA books will come back and read them sometimes.

#17 froglett

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:21 PM

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions! We got the book club catalogue the other day and it’s got an Anh Do pack in it (I think hot dog?) so might try that to start with. It seems like this year he’s really fallen in love with reading so I really want to encourage it.

We’ve listened to David Walliams and Roald Dahl audio books on road trips so might get a couple of those books too.

Will definitely bookmark this thread for future :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.