Shopping for DS - early teen

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 qak

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:57 PM

DS in Yr 7 has always dressed for comfort. Shopping with him is always difficult, he just wants tshirts and jersey knit type shorts.

Today was mufti day at school and I gather from an earlier text that he felt he was not dressed appropriately, he says his "shorts are too short" ...

Where should I take him shopping (from a non-stylish parent)? We live in Sydney.

#2 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:08 PM

My DS is year 8, and exactly the same.  Straight into pyjamas when he gets home, only likes soft elasticated waists, big t-shirts etc.

I generally get his stuff at Target, with the occasional nice buttoned shirt or designer t-shirt if I see them on drastic sale at a surf shop or DFO etc.

I don't like spending much as he is growing so fast, and he doesn't care.  

DS also has very long, skinny legs, so the current style of shorter shorts look rediculous on him.  Again, Target seems to have enough in an OK length.  And their stuff wears quite well.

#3 seayork2002

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:14 PM

We took DS to Uniqlo at Macquarie center recently and got some great shorts which were a little longer.

he is in Y6 but I am thinking Y7 is when he may start to notice what others are wearing so we will take him back

I know nothing about clothes and especially kids clothes but DH and I were both surprised of that shop it had great choice and not expensive.

but there is also great choice in other shops - I hate clothes shopping so want one stop shop when it comes for clothes.

If DS actually starts to want specific things we will look into that.

#4 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:20 PM

DS1 (grade 8) started wearing uniqlo last  year (grade 7).

He loves the Men’s Utility Shorts. They are a light fabric

https://www.uniqlo.c...4131790001.html

ETA the second he gets home he is in jersey comfy shorts

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 15 November 2019 - 01:25 PM.

#5 Dianalynch

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:30 PM

Industrie kids and academy brand at DJs have some really nice stuff for teenage boys, and while they’re exxy full price I often get them on a 40% off sale, or end of season clearance. Dues ex machina tshirts and polos are very popular, again I buy them half price on clearance.

Like PPs I find Uniqlo very good as well, H&M is also worth a look.

#6 MuffinQueen

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:32 PM

My son is quite into clothes and shoes - he's 12 almost 13, also in Year 7.

We find quite a lot of his clothes at City Beach and also Rebel sport (tshirts, hoodies).  In the last few months he's also wearing Champion and Tommy Hilfiger...so Myer and DJs.  Most of his stuff is black/grey.

For shoes he mostly wears Adidas or Nike sneakers. Name brand socks are also 'in'.

His friends are all wearing the same stuff.  

Maybe go online with your son and get him to show you what he likes so you can get an idea of where to take him?

#7 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:50 PM

Don't forget if he's not a fan of traditional jeans, there are jogger jeans around now with elasticated waist and leg cuffs which give the look of jeans but with a bit more comfort. H and M do these right from toddler to older boy. I noticed while shopping for DH that Connor had them for men as well.

#8 seayork2002

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:52 PM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 15 November 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

Don't forget if he's not a fan of traditional jeans, there are jogger jeans around now with elasticated waist and leg cuffs which give the look of jeans but with a bit more comfort. H and M do these right from toddler to older boy. I noticed while shopping for DH that Connor had them for men as well.

Thank you!!!

DS is going to a camp soon which has jeans on the list, he hates them so will take him there!

#9 -Emissary-

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:55 PM

We shop for DS (11) in Uniqlo and Target.

I don't bother buying him really expensive things as he just grows out of it by the next season.

#10 marple

Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:03 PM

Stussy shorts at surf/jeans shops

Lonsdale tops - which you can get at kmart  not kmart i meant  target soz

hilfiger plain tees are often on special sfter xmas

adidas and nike shoes - try rebel on sale

nike tshirts are often about 2 for 50 at rebel on sale which is similar price to target

the jogger style pants that are like cuffed chinos with elasticated waists and ankle about $30 from cotton and my older boys live in them. thinner fabric than jeans but you can get denim or camo or plain etc. def recommend as my boys favourites - just looked they are $40 - pretty reasonable and have lasted well. called eithe drake or factorie a cotton on.  - i dont work for them just tryin to be helpful :yes:

Edited by marple, 15 November 2019 - 02:14 PM.

#11 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:06 PM

We also found some Just Jeans jeans for DS1 which are soft and stretchy which he will wear (under protest) but will actually put them on.

#12 can'tstayaway

Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:42 PM

For casual going out wear, I buy branded sports clothing for my DS once he hit high school age. I don’t buy many because he grows out of them so quickly and boys don’t tend to notice other boys wearing the same outfit (unlike my DD).

End of season sales and DFO all help to keep it affordable.

Also consider the popular sport his peers are into. Rugby playing boys won’t mind shorter shorts but basketball fans prefer the longer shorts. Soccer is mid way. Kids tend to just want to fit in so look at his peer group. What blends in within one group might stand out in another.

For the PP with a camping trip coming up, look at cargo pants. Doesn’t get hot and sweaty like jeans, lots of pockets for useful stuff and the new fabrics are strong and breathable without getting stinky.

#13 BusbyWilkes

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:00 PM

If he likes t-shirts and jersey shorts, I'd look at Rebel Sport. Would probably still be in kids sizes, which makes it cheaper than men's. Often have sales and ours always has a clearance rack of kids stuff.

Nike/Adidas/Under Armour - comfortable, but very popular for that age group, and it washes and keep she its shape well.

#14 BeAwesome

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:46 PM

Jay Jays?

#15 ~J_F~

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:48 PM

Cotton on and jay jays are winners with my DS13. Basics are from big w.

#16 lizzzard

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:41 PM

View PostDianalynch, on 15 November 2019 - 01:30 PM, said:

Industrie kids and academy brand at DJs have some really nice stuff for teenage boys, and while they’re exxy full price I often get them on a 40% off sale, or end of season clearance. Dues ex machina tshirts and polos are very popular, again I buy them half price on clearance.

Like PPs I find Uniqlo very good as well, H&M is also worth a look.
This would be my exact advice!!

ETA actually one extra thought. The last few years we’ve been in the US and Canada around Christmas and bought DS some clothes from Abercrombie. By chance we discovered they have some of the most comfy boys clothes that also have some style. The T-shirts are especially soft (I think it’s the ‘icon’ ones made of soft jersey fabric). They have a sale at the moment and they ship to Australia - might be worth checking out

https://www.abercrom.../boys-clearance

Edited by lizzzard, 15 November 2019 - 06:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.