When you think a vent might be about you.....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 Anonforthistime

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:47 PM

So it’s really quite a small world and i have sometimes wondered what are the chances that an “anonymous” forum post could be read by the person it was about.
And it happened on EB for me.
There is a thread that could be put family, but I’m not sure.
Has this ever happened to anyone else and how did you respond?

#2 ~J_F~

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:49 PM

It hasn’t to me personally but a couple of times I have seen the person vented about come in and clarify their side usually very different from the OPs.

#3 Threetwoone

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:54 PM

That's never happened to me. But it would be interesting.

#4 #notallcats

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:59 PM

Do you have a 15 year old?  :)

#5 WaitForMe

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:02 PM

I have a vague memory of seeing it once, where the other person came in and clarified.

It does mean outing yourself though. Even if you use a new name, the other person now knows you are here and will be on the lookout for you.

#6 -Emissary-

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:05 PM

Are you the SIL who is asking her brother to chip in for a present? :p

#7 kimasa

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:06 PM

Hasn't happened to me on EB but there's a "residents against council" group on Facebook for the council I work for that all the council staff occasionally scroll through just to get a heads up of what we're going to be dealing with and I've definitely seen a ranting complaint about me on there from someone I kicked out of the library ("council workers on a power trip MY RATES PAY FOR MY RIGHT TO USE THIS SERVICE"). It was not the whole truth. He left out the part where he called our work experience student who had Downs Syndrome a "****ing r-word" to his face.

In his version he politely lodged a complaint about incorrect shelving of the DVDs and I lost the plot for no reason at all and kicked him out.

It took every ounce of constraint in my to not call him out as the absolute garbage excuse for a human he is. The replies were a mixed bag of "I know who you're talking about, she's usually so nice", "I feel like there's more to this story" and "**** all people who work for council they should all die".

Edited by kimasa, 15 November 2019 - 05:06 PM.

#8 ~J_F~

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:06 PM

View Post-Emissary-, on 15 November 2019 - 05:05 PM, said:

Are you the SIL who is asking her brother to chip in for a present? :p

Please let it be that....

#9 Anonforthistime

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:10 PM

View Post#notallcats, on 15 November 2019 - 04:59 PM, said:

Do you have a 15 year old?  :)

Yes. I do. That’s the one. Thread got locked before I could ask some clarifying questions.

I’m embarrassed that it could be him.

#10 ~J_F~

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:11 PM

Maybe message the OP anonforthistime

Eta then report back - some of us are invested!

Edited by ~J_F~, 15 November 2019 - 05:15 PM.

#11 Riotproof

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:12 PM

Oh dear. Maybe you could ask your child if he did that. Would be easier than asking the other parent.

#12 wallofdodo

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:12 PM

OMG!

Why do you think it was your son?

#13 born.a.girl

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:13 PM

There are significant exceptions, but I almost never think there isn't another side to the story - regardless of the truth, you can be sure the other party doesn't see it the same way. If they separately posted their own vent about the situation I sometimes wonder if we'd recognise them as being the same situation.

My mind often does devil's advocate on threads.

#14 kimasa

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:14 PM

Lol, I'm guessing your kid came home with an extra lunch?

#15 -Emissary-

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:14 PM

Maybe just message the OP if you want some clarification on whether it could be your child.

(Then please come back and let us know...)

#16 Anonforthistime

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:16 PM

View Postwallofdodo, on 15 November 2019 - 05:12 PM, said:

OMG!

Why do you think it was your son?

My son has Aspergers and is socially quite unaware.
He went out with a mate the other day, with money for lunch. He came home with an extra Subway sub which he took for lunch the next day at school. I hadn’t been well, and he thought buying lunch for the next day would be helpful.
He would be unlikely to admit that he asked another parent to buy it for him  and would have thought he was doing a good thing by helping me out.

#17 Brrrroooce!

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:18 PM

View PostAnonforthistime, on 15 November 2019 - 05:10 PM, said:

Yes. I do. That’s the one. Thread got locked before I could ask some clarifying questions.

I’m embarrassed that it could be him.

It's not you :8

#18 Future-self

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:19 PM

Scouts honour this is NOT me with a second account!
I swear!
:omg:

#19 JBH

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:21 PM

OP I said i’d be appalled if my son did that, but it also occurred to me it wasn’t impossible he would, and we had a chat over breakfast about the etiquette when someone else takes you out for a meal! Sometimes great kids can be a bit clueless about these things. While that thread was a bit out of control, i don’t really think the OP was as worked up as the tone of the thread suggested, and that all it would take to make things right if it was your son is a quick chat about manners when eating out with others.

Edit - slow typing, posted before I saw your explanation, which made perfect sense, and still fits with the hypothesis that great kids can be clueless, with a twist of being even more understandable in context.

Edited by JBH, 15 November 2019 - 05:22 PM.

#20 -Emissary-

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:22 PM

View PostBrrrroooce!, on 15 November 2019 - 05:18 PM, said:

Damn what a twist it would have been if it was lol

#21 José

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:24 PM

View PostAnonforthistime, on 15 November 2019 - 05:16 PM, said:

He went out with a mate the other day, with money for lunch. He came home with an extra Subway sub which he took for lunch the next day at school. I hadn’t been well, and he thought buying lunch for the next day would be helpful.
He would be unlikely to admit that he asked another parent to buy it for him  and would have thought he was doing a good thing by helping me out.

hugs to you.

And what a wonderfully thoughtful boy you have.

#22 Anonforthistime

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:25 PM

View PostBrrrroooce!, on 15 November 2019 - 05:18 PM, said:

Thankyou

#23 Future-self

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:27 PM

View PostAnonforthistime, on 15 November 2019 - 05:16 PM, said:

What a lovely kid you have there. Hope you're feeling better

#24 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:48 PM

tbh it’s the kind of goofy thing my son *might* have done...i’d be really embarrassed and would have no qualms about telling him that it’s really not on. you’re with your friend - his parent is paying....no ones made of money, just go easy mate. but like i said....it would be just because he’s goofy, no filter....in his own world. and if he did it once, and i found about it, he wouldn’t do it again. But. and i cannot stress this enough....that’s just my take on it, taking my son as an example, and knowing what he’s like and what our circumstances are. horses for courses.

i don’t think i’ve ever recognised myself in a thread. i think i can recognise where posters are maybe trying to get a rise out of someone.

#25 Mollyksy

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:56 PM

I didnt get a chance to post in the other thread. I felt really sad at where some comments were going when it was equally as possible it was a situation like the OP raised (what an adorable kid btw!).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.