How not to waste money on KK gifts

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#51 born.a.girl

Posted 17 November 2019 - 04:00 PM

View PostDM. 2012, on 16 November 2019 - 10:09 PM, said:

I like PPs suggestion of a Soda Stream, it’s a bit different to the usual gifts.  It’s not something a lot of people would think of getting for themselves but would probably use if they had one.

The three people I've bought soda streams for have loved them.  I did know that all three liked sparkling mineral water, or those 5% fruit juice type sparkling drinks beforehand.

I think it's one of those 'gadgets' that stands the test of time.

More and more people I know are using them.

Shame woolworths have moved to selling the replacement gas bottles in boxes, but Target don't so we get ours there, now.

#52 Ellie bean

Posted 17 November 2019 - 04:04 PM

I think the whole idea is great but $100 is just too much fir this kind of thing

#53 Dianalynch

Posted 17 November 2019 - 05:45 PM

I love some of the ideas in this thread, I’d love to get a lime tree in a nice pot, great towels from CR, Aesop products, nice things I wouldn’t buy for myself. So I think $100 is a good limit, you can get good quality stuff for $100, whereas something for $50 might be something that goes to waste
ETA as long as everyone can afford it, there were plenty of years it would have been too much for me

Edited by Dianalynch, 17 November 2019 - 05:46 PM.

#54 GingerbreadWoman

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:32 PM

There have been some great ideas already. Just wanted to suggest that buying something from a store that supports a charity or environmental initiative or similar might be another way to feel like that even if the gift isn’t a perfect match for whoever ends up with it, your money has supported a good cause and so not wasted?
Some ideas

https://store.hamlin...opiancottonwrap

https://www.surya.co...re-blanket-kohl

https://www.twogood....u/#/good-things

#55 PatG

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:03 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 17 November 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

I think the whole idea is great but $100 is just too much fir this kind of thing

Usually it is done so each person buys one gift instead of 10 so actually ends up less expensive.

#56 Ellie bean

Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:45 PM

View PostPatG, on 17 November 2019 - 08:03 PM, said:

Usually it is done so each person buys one gift instead of 10 so actually ends up less expensive.
Yep and I’m all for that, I just think $100 for a “steal” type kk where you’re not sure who will end up with it is a bit risky, I would think $50 would be better. But yes better then buying individual things for everyone

#57 Chocolate Addict

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:06 PM

Reading all the ideas in here reminds me why I don't take part in KK swaps. :p

I would be very disappointed if I got towels (beach or otherwise) or a cook book or any cooking appliance, herbs etc.. and many more.

I like the $100 note idea I would wrap it in a deceiving large box though with some weight in it. I also like the movie voucher, perhaps gold class? I don't go to the movies often but when I do it is gold class.
I also like the soda stream idea, I don't have one and would more than likely use it.

I am also not really a fan of chocolate in KK's, every time I have taken part in them I have ended up with chocolate. Last one we even had a rule of no chocolate, someone did and I ended up with it. I swapped it and felt like a total b**ch cos everyone else loved theirs, even the person I made swap with me. I ended up buying her what I had stolen from her because I felt so bad. :(

#58 Ellie bean

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:19 PM

We were given a soda stream amd never use it, perhaps we are the only ones!

#59 Riotproof

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:23 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 17 November 2019 - 10:19 PM, said:

Do you not like sparking water? We love it, especially in summer.
very rarely add flavouring, but bickfords then not their own.

#60 Ellie bean

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:24 PM

^^nope don’t really like it!
Eta my only point being, there’s no single gift every person will love and use

Edited by Ellie bean, 17 November 2019 - 10:25 PM.

#61 Riotproof

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:25 PM

That would tend to rule you out.

#62 wilding

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:33 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 17 November 2019 - 10:19 PM, said:

I grew up with one and not a fan of them.

#63 Riotproof

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:38 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 17 November 2019 - 10:24 PM, said:

^^nope don’t really like it!
Eta my only point being, there’s no single gift every person will love and use

And I guess that's part of it.

Christmas gifts are ruining a time of year because nobody needs anything, everybody is too picky, basically no matter what i get, it will never be enough. Close to soul destroying. I would prefer not to get anything at all, but no one else agrees. So... I just continue on.
Something like this would be less pressure than current.

#64 Ellie bean

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:00 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 17 November 2019 - 10:38 PM, said:

And I guess that's part of it.

Christmas gifts are ruining a time of year because nobody needs anything, everybody is too picky, basically no matter what i get, it will never be enough. Close to soul destroying. I would prefer not to get anything at all, but no one else agrees. So... I just continue on.
Something like this would be less pressure than current.
Oh don’t get me wrong it was a lovely gift and I really appreciate the thought behind it. No gripes here. I was literally just responding to the “everyone would love a soda stream.” Sorry for derailing a useful thread!
Eta we have stopped most extended family presents except for kids which I think is great

Edited by Ellie bean, 17 November 2019 - 11:00 PM.

#65 Riotproof

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:16 PM

I wasn't meaning you specifically ,ellie bean.

#66 Chchgirl

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:59 AM

We don't always have xmas with family as we are spread apart and 3 out of four of us kids don't have anything to do with our mother so we tend to see each other when we can depending. ..I'm back and forth from nz at the moment (there now ) but will be back in oz with dd 18 having xmas with my sister and her kids.

We all agreed to stop buying for each other apart from kids years ago, and it took the pressure off. If we don't see we don't buy. I might get her something small.

I dislike buying gifts unless I know what to get, I even struggle with my adult girls!

If I received a few beach towels honestly that would be an awesome present!

#67 onetrick

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:08 AM

Secret santas are hard to buy for- we have one with a $20 limit (not family, but sort of... hard to explain the various IL relationships!) and DH and I tend to bring presents that we wouldnt mind ending up with.
It's fun when it works, but I hate when people clearly dont spend anywhere near the limit or basically use it as a chance to regift something from the previous Christmas.
This year I got a throw rug from.spotlight (was marked at $70 but cost $20- not for everyone, but there are a few people there that would like it, and the colours would go with their places), and I'm thinking a bunnings voucher for the other one? Vouchers are allowed, thankfully...

#68 Chchgirl

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:40 AM

Bunnings voucher would be worshipped by me 😊

#69 Hollycoddle

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:20 AM

$100 is a lot, $50 would be the max I would pay in a KK even if it is the only gift you'd be giving to extended family.  I wouldn't be doing the generic swap thing either, for that amount of money it would be better to do a proper present tailored to each person.

SNAP Ellie Bean :)

Edited by Mollycoddle, 18 November 2019 - 09:22 AM.

#70 spr_maiden

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:25 AM

^^ second the Bunnings voucher.

#71 piggyinthemiddle

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:43 AM

Lots of beach towel love here. The disappointing thing about receiving beach towels as Christmas gifts is that they are the first thing you see when you walk into the sales on Boxing Day marked down by 50%!

#72 StoneFoxArrow

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:11 AM

If someone gets eponee for EB Secret Santa, send towels, she loves them ;)

#73 Luci

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:40 AM

View PostStoneFoxArrow, on 18 November 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

If someone gets eponee for EB Secret Santa, send towels, she loves them ;)

:rofl:

#74 MsLaurie

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:58 PM

Something people with gardens might like are really  decent secateurs or hedge trimmers or hand tools. I know I tend to struggle to justify the cost for myself and then end up frustrated with the $15 ones being “just okay” rather than the nice $60-80 versions!

#75 onetrick

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the help- definitely getting the bunnings voucher for our second present (and let's be honest- it would be awesome to get $100 for there, too!).
In terms of what to get for $100- I think you need to try to think of something that a few people in your group will really  want, rather than something people will kind of want.
Maybe keep the receipt in case the recipient isnt the appropriate person to appreciate it (and no one does extra swaps later on)? I know it's not the done thing, but for $100, I'd feel horrible if it wasnt appreciated :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.