Travel gifts

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 The new me

Posted 16 November 2019 - 11:55 AM

We are going to italy in April so wanted our Xmas stocking stuffers to involve some essentials for the trip

So far I have on my list

Travel diary from typo for DD15
Sleep mask
Maybe earplugs?

Any ideas would be great.
Thanks

#2 mandala

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:04 PM

My kids are desperate to get those neck pillows.

#3 BusbyWilkes

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:07 PM

Second the neck pillows. Drink bottle. Small (travel) sized deodorant/soap/moisturiser etc. Headphones (listening to music). Book to read (or kindle)

#4 lizzzard

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:19 PM

Packing cells have been my go-to gift for travellers over the last few years.

Others gadgets that might be handy
Multi-region adapters
Travel guides (I’m old school and still like books!)
Decals or straps to decorate your bag so it’s easy to see coming off the baggage carousel
Passport holder with space for other useful info like visa confirmations, itineraries and boarding passes
A pashmina - I find airports horribly cold and always carry one now (handy for the plane too).

#5 yule_maiden

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:56 PM

A good neck pillow that zips up and has a clip to attach to the outside of your backpack. A travel water bottle that packs flat when empty. Lip gloss,  hand sanitizer,  hand cream in travel sizes.

#6 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:58 PM

A portable luggage scale.

#7 jayskette

Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:09 PM

phrase book, pocket books about the location, euros, collapasable drink bottles

#8 missminx

Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:24 PM

Personalised luggage tags and passport holders.  I ordered a few from Zazzle.com and they had heaps of different designs and colour you can choose from.

Some books on Italian history or art?  They might appreciate seeing these things in real life once they know the stories behind them?

Language lessons?

Italy is fabulous, I hope you have an a amazing time.

#9 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:29 PM

Kathmandu have some great neck pillows with hoods attached so you can keep your head and neck warm and kind of create a dark space around you to sleep.

mecca have great clear plastic cosmetic/toiletry bags for hand luggage.

dymocks have good travel diaries too.

#10 Stuffed Olive

Posted 16 November 2019 - 11:25 PM

Second PP suggestions of:
Packing cells - these have changed my life! I got ours  from zoomlite, made in Melbourne and are good as new after a six month trip through Europe and multiple weekends and camping trips.
Travel adaptor/ charger
Pashmina
Kindle/e reader
Airplane headphone adaptor jacks so you can use your own headphones on the plane.

#11 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:44 AM

Definitely packing cells. The ultimate travel changer.

#12 born.a.girl

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:25 AM

If you get neck pillows see if your local Aldi still has any of the ones they had in their travel specials a week or so ago.  We had some older ones, that would tend to slip out of place.  I sewed tapes on to them that we could tie into a bow, which I'm sure looked really classy.  Husband was concerned about the tape ending up in a knot in an emergency.   The Aldi ones do up with a stud PLUS they have a little hood that you can pull over your eyes to block out light.

Whatever you do, make sure they fasten or they slip out of place.

#13 born.a.girl

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:30 AM

I second and third and fourth packing cells.  I'm old enough to remember when packing recommendations suggested you tucked your socks and knickers into nooks and crannies of shoes etc in your bag, and by day three you waste half an hour looking for the knickers you know must be there somewhere.

I use them even on overnight trips, differently from how I used them for a month.

We also got these from Kathmandu on special before our last trip and they were fantastic for laundry:

https://www.kathmand...k-v4-small.html

They don't seem to be on special at the moment - we didn't pay that much for the large ones (12L).  I preferred the open mesh grey ones to the solid red ones for rank laundry.

#14 born.a.girl

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:53 AM

Re: luggage straps, we got two of these and they were fabulous for both identifying our luggage and relieving pressure on the zips of our soft sided bags.

$10 each on clearance at Kathmandu at the moment.

https://www.kathmand...voaAhUyEALw_wcB

#15 night jasmine

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:59 AM

Yep I remember the days of rolling clothes and hiding them in creases. It’s how I managed to cram so much into my backpack throughout my backpacking days.

Started using packing cells about 7 years ago, have used them for every trip since then. Bought kathmandu ones, my favourite is the large sized. Colour coded by family member and the kids have grown up with them so they now know immediately when going through luggage which packs are theirs. They’re still good as new after many trips.

Some other travel gifts could be:
Hats
Socks
Travel sized toiletries, hairbrush
Thermals

#16 onetrick

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:42 AM

Packing cells are a game changer, arent they? I've loved them for school camps too (small ones- I'm a teacher and I'd put socks, undies, new top in a bag so each day was separate and could be grabbed in the dark).
If you are planning on getting lunch/ dinners at supermarkets at all (so much cheaper!), then a little pack of utensils is one thing I didnt pack that would have been handy. Like for one person- knife, spoon, fork type thing.
Travel diary is such a good idea (I just used a typo notebook and then created a scrapbook), and if your daughter likes collecting, maybe somewhere to put all of the brochures etc collected? Like a nice folder, photo album, treasure chest type thing? Depends on what she is like...

#17 iwanttosleepin

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:50 AM

We travel a fair bit and have never used earplugs or eye masks.

Some good things are - packing cells, multi country adapters, battery for charging phones etc, those flat pack drink bottles, good headphones, international SIM cards, travel sized toiletries.

#18 carls888

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:18 AM

Good headphones and the adaptors to use them for the plane systems.
A backpack. (I have the Kanken one and it's fantastic) https://fjallraven.c...lections/kanken
A kindle
iTunes card to download new music/apps
Book them a tour in Italy specific to their interests.
Some nice moisturiser for the plane in a travel size.
Euro.

Have fun. We love Italy.

#19 The new me

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:37 PM

Thanks heaps everyone

Luggage straps defs needed - will try to hunt some different colours down for everyone's stockings

I have a few packing cells but more are needed so will get some of those too

dH has a nice neck pillow and I am not a fan but will look out for one for DD

I need to go to the city I think and have a look around (we live regional)

Thanks again

#20 born.a.girl

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:55 PM

Kathmandu are clearing out their luggage straps for $10.  All lime green, but you just then add a coloured ribbon to each one to differentiate.

#21 can'tstayaway

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:39 PM

I find having the same coloured luggage strap is good. It’s much easier to just look out for green straps on the carousel than one green, one pink, one blue etc.

I’ve drawn on our straps with a permanent marker to make it easier again to identify. Those little things make a difference when you’re exhausted, travelling with kids and in a foreign place. Anything to speed up identification of your belongings.

We’ve had one of our suitcases accidentally picked up by someone else and taken out of the airport. I was pretty sure I had spotted our bag but they whizzed through customs and was gone. Was a right pain having to wait for everyone else to collect their luggage before the airline would/could contact the person (their luggage was still on the carousel). We then had to wait for them to come back to the airport.  So, these days, anything to mark the ubiquitous luggage as more personal and easy to identify is a good thing.

I do colour code packing cells though. Much easier to spot which one belongs to whom at a glance. We’ve had them so long that the kids recognise their colour.

I’m not a fan of neck pillows but do love my big pashmina wrap. It’s big enough to scrunch up one end as an extra pillow but still have enough fabric to drape as a blanket or to block out light/movement around me. My children have their preferred travel hoodie where the hood drapes over their face to do the same thing.

#22 LucyGoose

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:33 PM

Noise reduction headphones or any headphones.

Travel toiletries for the plane

I also love packing cells too- ALDI had some good value ones last week.

#23 night jasmine

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:23 AM

What do people use luggage straps for? I’ve only ever needed it to hold a smaller bag to a larger one while walking around, but it’s rare. Are people strapping them around suitcases for added security? Or protection? Identification? We use ribbons on the handles to make it easier to identify our luggage.

#24 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:12 AM

View Postnight jasmine, on 23 November 2019 - 09:23 AM, said:

What do people use luggage straps for? I’ve only ever needed it to hold a smaller bag to a larger one while walking around, but it’s rare. Are people strapping them around suitcases for added security? Or protection? Identification? We use ribbons on the handles to make it easier to identify our luggage.
All of the reasons you mentioned. The strap also takes the pressure off zips so less likely to burst open. They also help luggage handlers have something to grasp if the handle isn't facing them. I have had holes punched in my cardboard bike box even through there wzs already hand holes by handlers.

#25 night jasmine

Posted 23 November 2019 - 11:05 AM

I think if the zip is at risk of bursting you’ve probably overpacked! Good point about it being useful for handlers.

I find with travel items there are some things that people swear by while others have never had the need for it. Luggage straps, neck pillows, eye masks and ear plus are the latter for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.