Avocados, peas, pasta... what else?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MsLaurie

Posted 16 November 2019 - 04:45 PM

Miss 10 months is proving to be a fussier eater than her big sister, and while she’ll give most things a try, if she’s not keen they go straight on the floor. Fun!

The only sure-fire winners seem to be chunks of avocado, pasta (either penne or kids ravioli), and peas. She’ll sometimes like plain crackers or bread.

She also scoffed our taco mix the other night (mince, beans, capsicum, eggplant, corn, spices).

Any ideas of what else she might like?

Things that find the floor: pumpkin, potato, blueberries, tomato-y pasta sauces, noodles, zucchini, mushrooms, chicken pieces.

#2 Riotproof

Posted 16 November 2019 - 04:47 PM

I would just continue offering here what you are eating, offering her one small piece of something at a time.

#3 blimkybill

Posted 16 November 2019 - 05:05 PM

How about:
Pear
Banana
Rockmelon
Broccoli (cooked to soft)
Scrambled egg
Eggy toast
Waternelon
Potato
Yoghurt
Cheese
Risotto

#4 Hayliah

Posted 16 November 2019 - 05:20 PM

If no allergies what about eggs? Scrambled/omelette.

My 11 month DD loves (most of the time) strawberries, banana, red capsicum sticks, cheese (grated or strips off a slice), cucumber, ham, salmon, mandarines, soft meats like sausage, tender roast meat etc.

Pancakes/pikelets are good too, I add yoghurt, peanut butter and banana to my mix.  You could add grated veg if you want extra nutrients.

It’s easier if they can eat stuff you’re already making for meals but it’s tricky when they are fussy.

#5 Hands Up

Posted 16 November 2019 - 08:28 PM

Homemade savoury muffins
Avocado sandwich torn into small pieces
Bolognaise with risoni or macaroni
Homemade chicken nuggets
Cucumber
Apple, lightly stewed
Carrot sticks lightly steamed
Homemade fried rice
Egg based stuff like zucchini slice or even just plain hard boiled egg

#6 Fluffy Potatoes

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:29 PM

Ds 2 (15mths) is egg free and a bit fussy in that he will only eat things cooked a certain way and wasn’t a fan of baby food. He likes big flavours and texture. Some of his faves over the last few months are:
Pesto pea purée on pasta
Corn thins with hommus or ricotta
Quesadillas
Cinnamon roasted apples
Pumpkin roasted with garlic and a sprinkle of cumin (won’t eat it steamed or mashed)
Veggie corn cakes (made with creamed corn)
Risotto
Pork mince fried rice
Raisin toast
Chicken drumsticks (chewing on the bone seems to be the best bit)
Corn cob
Grated carrot

#7 Holly298

Posted 16 November 2019 - 11:29 PM

Try everything you eat but great finger food at that age:
Falafel
Corn on the cob
Fish cakes
Boiled eggs
Nut butters on toast or rice cakes
Lamb cutlets
Egg pancakes
Salmon (just flake it into small pieces )

#8 PrincessPeach

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:20 PM

Just dont give up offering those foods she discards either - a cording to my dietician friend, it can take upwards of 50 exposures before they are willing to try something new.

Veggie muffins were a big hit with mine, but generally they got whatever we were eating.

#9 MrsPuddleduck

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:23 PM

Corn kernels, grated cheese, homemade meatballs, steamed fish, scrambled egg, plain rice, asparagus cooked til soft all do the job for our little miss.

#10 MsLaurie

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for suggestions. Rice she has seemed keen on, cheese and veggie muffins got the heave-ho. Egg she liked a bit from fried rice but then NOPE once it was solo.
She does that frustrating thing of seeming to like something once and then NEVER AGAIN. Broccoli- first time, was grabbing it off everyone’s plates. Second and third times, straight on the floor.
Gravity and driving mummy crazy is fun I guess?!?

#11 blimkybill

Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:22 PM

View PostMsLaurie, on 17 November 2019 - 08:44 PM, said:

Thanks for suggestions. Rice she has seemed keen on, cheese and veggie muffins got the heave-ho. Egg she liked a bit from fried rice but then NOPE once it was solo.
She does that frustrating thing of seeming to like something once and then NEVER AGAIN. Broccoli- first time, was grabbing it off everyone’s plates. Second and third times, straight on the floor.
Gravity and driving mummy crazy is fun I guess?!?
To be honest it sounds a bit like she is not that hungry and is able to treat eating as a bit of a game or novelty. She can try something once then next time throw it. I suspect once she is hungrier, or possibly more efficiently able to feed herself, she may be less picky.
I actually wouldn't jump too high trying to produce an amazing variety of foods hoping she will find new things to like. I would just give her the same old same old plus whatever you as a family are eating anyway. Think about making sure she is actually hungry, make sure she is actually capable of getting the food into her mouth, then let her choose whether to eat or not. Make no fuss about whether she eats something or not. Don't assume throwing a food means she doesn't like it. The last thing you want is her using it as a way to get high levels of entertainment and interesting parental attention.

#12 Lou-bags

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:18 AM

Don’t forget, too, that playing with food include dropping it etc is developmentally normal exploration. She’s a little scientist, testing how things feel, what happens when they drop (do they make a sound, bounce, splat), does mum get annoyed? Laugh? What about Dad? Does the dog eat everything or only some things? And so on.

But, having said that, if you don’t want to deal with the mess you can set a limit. ‘You’re throwing food and not eating, this tells me you are done with dinner’ and get her out, try again later. And like a PP said she might not be hungry enough at meal times. I’d offer mostly foods she likes and eats if she’s had another feed (like a milk feed) not too long prior. And save the newer or re-try of rejected foods for when she’s her hungriest.

#13 Riotproof

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:48 AM

Also an old towel or a plastic tablecloth may stop you losing your mind cleaning up the dropped food.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.