Pop sugar challenge 2020

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 16 November 2019 - 08:08 PM

You’re free to challenge yourself as much as you wish. It has been a lot of fun this year, imo.

So far they are releasing one prompt per day, I will update this post when I can. Feel free to offer suggestions of previous books you’ve read that might fit or ones on your to be read pile.

Pop sugar 2020

A book recommended by your favourite vlog, blog, podcast or online book club

A book with a book on the cover

A book set in a city that has hosted the olympics

A book with the same name as a tv show or movie but is unrelated to it

A book written by an author with flora or fauna in their name

A book published the month of your birthday
A book with a map

And now full list released https://media1.popsu...intable (1).pdf

Edited by Riotproof, 19 November 2019 - 05:55 AM.

#2 Lou-bags

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:12 PM

Thanks RP.

That first one is going to be easy! My current fave podcast is Chat 10 looks 3- they talk about and recommend books every episode.

#3 Sled Zeppelin(a)

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:48 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 16 November 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

You’re free to challenge yourself as much as you wish. It has been a lot of fun this year, imo.
Excited about this! Haven't done great this year, but have enjoyed the challenge anyway (and following the rest of you).

View PostRiotproof, on 16 November 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

A book with the same time as a tv show or movie but is unrelated to it
I'm guessing this is supposed to say "the same name"? :grin:

Am on a bit of a YA kick at the moment and am about to start Fangirls by Rainbow Rowell. Should be finished just in time to read her kind-of follow-on story Carry On at the beginning of next year - surely the name of a (horrendously outdated) series of films would fulfill this requirement?

#4 Riotproof

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:58 PM

Yes, sorry. The formatting in the facebook groups seems to be un selectable.

#5 Lunagirl

Posted 17 November 2019 - 04:01 PM

Oooh, how exciting! I thought I’d have to wait til December to see the list! I’ve really enjoyed doing it this year so am looking forward to planning next year’s.

No books spring to mind immediately, though the Olympics should be easy as that will cover a lot of big cities.

#6 seayork2002

Posted 17 November 2019 - 05:30 PM

Not totally related but there  is a book written by a book club I think they are based in the blue mountains (on my phone so will research and post the details tomorrow unless someone else does)

#7 Riotproof

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:35 AM

I like a book with a map as a prompt. Opens up to loads of fantasy books, but there are probably others I’m not thinking of too.

#8 seayork2002

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:43 AM

There is map in Peter Robinson's DCI banks early novels (the version I was reading then)

#9 Riotproof

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:05 AM

They’ve said it is the last sneak peak, so hopefully they’ll release the full list soon.

#10 Riotproof

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:54 AM

Full list here. https://media1.popsu...intable (1).pdf

#11 seayork2002

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for that,

for the 'advanced' one there is an Australian book set in the future, I think, with '20XX' in the title or something like that I think it is a funny novel about politics

I saw it an airport last year or the year before

For the book club one there is 'Jane Austens Book Club'

#12 Riotproof

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for that, seayork. I will go through my bedside table pile and see what fits.

Cannot believe there is at least one person in the Facebook group who has already decided what to read for every single prompt.

Edited by Riotproof, 19 November 2019 - 08:13 AM.

#13 Sled Zeppelin(a)

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:33 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 19 November 2019 - 08:13 AM, said:

Cannot believe there is at least one person in the Facebook group who has already decided what to read for every single prompt.
Wow. That is dedication!

For the book club prompt, can I suggest The Bad Mothers' Book Club (full disclaimer: it is written by my friend - but also it's a lovely book!)

edited to fix an errant apostrophe

Edited by Zeppelina, 19 November 2019 - 11:35 AM.

#14 Lunagirl

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:33 PM

They've really embraced the 2020 thing in the advanced challenge!

Book with a cyborg character could be filled by one of Marissa Meyer's fairytale retellings, which feature a cyborg Cinderella.

In fact, if anyone is interested in this series, you could read the whole thing using 2019 & 2020 Popsugar prompts.

1. Cinder - Fairytale retelling/Author whose first and last names start with the same letters

2. Scarlet - Book with an item of clothing on the cover

3. Cress - whichever prompt you didn't use for Cinder

Then wait til 2020 and read Winter, using the cyborg prompt.

Anyway, should probably focus on finishing the 2019 challenge before I get too caught up in this one!

#15 Riotproof

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:48 PM

I think I’m going to do what I did this year. Start with easy ones and then scramble at the end.

#16 seayork2002

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:52 PM

I have just heard about this book so not read it myself but I checked and it is a movie title (I thought it was)

Ordinary people by Diana Evans (looks good)

Edited by seayork2002, 21 November 2019 - 03:52 PM.

#17 Riotproof

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:59 PM

That does look good.

Are you going to do the challenge next year, seayork?

#18 seayork2002

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:27 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 21 November 2019 - 03:59 PM, said:

That does look good.

Are you going to do the challenge next year, seayork?

I wasn't planning on it really but thanks to you I am drawn in now (please take that as a compliment!!!)

but know already I won't be able to do it 100% I have too much on my kindle already

#19 Riotproof

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:37 AM

You might be surprised about how many you can slot in.

No pressure at all though. I am kind of ignoring it until the end of the year.  Right now, I’m reading a book that fits into the challenge prompts of 2019 anyway.

What I should do is think of books I really want to read and slot those in.

#20 Riotproof

Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:51 PM

Right so, just thinking about what I read last year..

For a book with a bird Stella and Margie by Glenna Thomson. Really heartwarming tale about a mil and dil relationship.

Book with cyborg or AI - Becky chambers The Long way to a small, angry planet. This one was really good, especially if you don’t really like sci fi.i might i
I might do the second book in the series for this prompt. It has some pretty good reviews.

For book by or about a journalist, I’d really recommend Richard Glover’s Flesh Wounds. He does have a few books if you don’t want something quite as dark. Boy swallows universe would work here too. Also, lots and lots of true crime books. I think I will choose the Leigh Sale’s one An ordinary day.

I will keep thinking.

Edited by Riotproof, 23 November 2019 - 12:52 PM.

#21 Riotproof

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:40 PM

Toni Jordan would qualify for a woman in stem. I have liked everything of hers that I’ve read.

#22 Lou-bags

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:02 PM

I’m thinking maybe Angela Saini’s books for that prompt. Have had Inferior on my to read list for a little while.

Still Alice would be another good one for those who haven’t read it. Lisa Genova is a neuroscientist, and Alice is a linguist so a woman in stem too!

#23 Riotproof

Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:52 AM

So, I have bought a couple of books. Dark Emu for a topic I know nothing about.
Daughters of the storm by Kim Wilkins. It is a fantasy novel and I’m sure I’ll be able to stick it in somewhere. Just off the bat, I think it applies to the seven deadly sins because the blurb makes me think envy is a character driver.
Tabitha Bird - A lifetime of impossible days for the Bechdel test.

#24 Lou-bags

Posted 01 December 2019 - 02:10 PM

I’ve bought dark emu too! I was planning to read it for ‘a book you meant to read in 2019’ but it probably fits into a number of prompts nicely so I may shuffle.

#25 Riotproof

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:24 PM

Still aiming to use the library as much as possible, but these ones I think will be worthy of the shelf. The Kim Wilkins one wasn’t at our library though. Fantasy is not their strong suit imo, but I think I’m a bit niche with how I like fantasy. I prefer female authors because otherwise the female characters are a bit shallow. Also I like a big world building scene.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.