Pop sugar challenge 2020

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 Riotproof

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:58 AM

For the social media prompt, I think I might read this one Troll Hunting by Ginger Gorman.

#27 Lou-bags

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:12 AM

For the book club one- last year I read The Inaugural Meeting of The Fairvale Ladies Book Club, by Sophie Green.

It's described as being similar to The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society- and I guess it has the same feel though is nowhere near as good a book.

It was, however, a pleasant enough reasonably easy read.

#28 Lou-bags

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:33 AM

The free editors extra for this month on Audible would fit the journalist prompt. The Widow, by Fiona Barton who is a former journalist.

It’s a crime novel, I’m about 2hours in (of 10 hours total listening time). Seems ok so far.

#29 seayork2002

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:51 AM

Not sure if this fits in but I saw this book and just bought it, looks a good fun read

https://www.amazon.c...75593383&sr=8-1

#30 Riotproof

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:15 AM

It does look fun.

Which prompt were you thinking? Depending on where it’s set, it might go with the Olympic city one. I find with the first half or so, you can usually slot something in somewhere.

If desperate there’s always the fav prompt of previous challenges. And of course the title caught your attention. And more than 20 letters in title.

#31 Lou-bags

Posted 06 December 2019 - 06:09 PM

So I typed them all out (wasn't able to copy paste from the list online...), sharing here in case someone wants a copy-able list. Clearly I have had too much time on my hands today... (procrastinating from housework and such, more like).
  • A book that’s published in 2020
  • A book by a trans or nonbinary author
  • A book with a great first line
  • A book about a book club
  • A book set in a city that has hosted the Olympics
  • A bildungsroman
  • The first book you touch on a shelf with your eyes closed
  • A book with an upside-down image on the cover
  • A book with a map
  • A book recommended by your favourite blog, vlog, podcast, or online book club
  • An anthology
  • A book that passes the Bechdel test
  • A book with the same title as a movie or TV show but is unrelated to it
  • A book by an author with flora or fauna in their name
  • A book about or involving social media
  • A book that has a book on the cover
  • A medical thriller
  • A book with a made-up language
  • A book set in a country beginning with a “C”
  • A book you picked because the title caught your attention
  • A book published the month of your birth
  • A book about or by a woman in STEM
  • A book that won an award in 2019
  • A book on a subject you know nothing about
  • A book with only words on the cover, no images or graphics
  • A book with a pun in the title
  • A book featuring one of the seven deadly sins
  • A book with a robot, cyborg or AI character
  • A book with a bird on the cover
  • A fiction or nonfiction book about a world leader
  • A book with “gold,” “silver,” or “bronze” in the title
  • A book by a WOC
  • A book with at least a four-star rating on Goodreads
  • A book you meant to read in 2019
  • A book with a three-word title
  • A book with a  pink cover
  • A Western
  • A book by or about a journalist
  • Read a banned book during Banned Books Week
  • Your favourite prompt from a past POPSUGAR Reading Challenge
  • A book written by an author in their 20s
  • A book with “20” or “twenty” in the title
  • A book with a character with a vision impairment or enhancement (a nod to 20/20 vision)
  • A book set in Japan, host of the 2020 Olympics
  • A book set in the 1920s
  • A book by an author who has written more than 20 books
  • A book with more than 20 letters in its title
  • A book published in the 20th century
  • A book from a series with more than 20 books
  • A book with a main character in their 20s

#32 Riotproof

Posted 07 December 2019 - 08:51 AM

Booktopia sent me their Good reading magazine.

Some ideas from that.

Paul Kelly has an anthology coming out next year - love is as strong as death.

The little book of lost words by Joe Gillard has only words on the cover. Also Black out by Matthew Warren

Australian Gin by David Box could well be something I know nothing about.

The Nancy’s by R W R McDonald has a pink cover.

Allegra in three parts by Suzanne Daniel looks interesting

#33 Riotproof

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:01 AM

Red can origami by Madelaine Dickie is about a 20 something journalist.

#34 Lunagirl

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:35 AM

Midnight at Chernobyl only has text on the cover. It also has a map and could work for something you know nothing about, assuming you don't.

#35 seayork2002

Posted 07 December 2019 - 12:09 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 06 December 2019 - 11:15 AM, said:

It does look fun.

Which prompt were you thinking? Depending on where it’s set, it might go with the Olympic city one. I find with the first half or so, you can usually slot something in somewhere.

If desperate there’s always the fav prompt of previous challenges. And of course the title caught your attention. And more than 20 letters in title.

Will think about this one, for the 20 letters one there is one about the 100 year old man jumped out of a window book written a few years ago (Can't remember exact title)

#36 monet

Posted 07 December 2019 - 03:43 PM

I think I might do it this year.  I'm stuck in a murder mystery/serial killer rut and need to get out of it!

#37 Lunagirl

Posted 22 December 2019 - 05:24 PM

This list from Dymocks could be useful for the 'won an award in 2019' prompt:

https://www.dymocks.com.au/awards

#38 Riotproof

Posted 04 January 2020 - 06:30 PM

First cab off the rank, gravity Is the thing by Jaclyn Moriaty for upside down image.

Good. Very good. I think the another moriarty might have stolen bits of her idea.

#39 Lunagirl

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:29 PM

15. A book about or involving social media - The Passengers by John Marrs.

This is a thriller about a hacker taking control of autonomous cars and setting them on a collision course. The people in the cars will more than likely die when they collide, but the hacker promises to stop one car and save its passenger's life. Which passenger is spared is voted on by a jury and social media.

#40 Riotproof

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:37 PM

I read this. https://www.goodread...k/show/41017382

Not sure where I’m going to stick it. 20 word title. The character has to be in her 20s. Maybe just the 4 stars on good reads.

#41 seayork2002

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:30 PM

I was sent this book recommendation and it has a bird on the cover

I saw the book thought it sounded good, bought it on my kindle then started to look at this list - it has a bird on the cover!

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,331&sr=8-1

(if the link does not work - The Shape of Us by Drew Davies $1.49)

#42 Riotproof

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:48 PM

Good one, seayork. I am reading Tabitha Bird A lifetime of impossible days. And is so good. I think I am going to use it for the bechdel test but could also work for fauna in authors name, 4 stars on goodreads, 20 letters in the title.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it wins awards but I don’t know if it has.

#43 Riotproof

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:41 PM

I finished the Tabitha Bird book, and it was seriously good. I basically read the whole thing today, as I started it a week ago, but got distracted.
It is just a wonderful mix of magical realism, you felt so completely absorbed in Willa’s world.
I would so strongly recommend but it is triggering for domestic violence, sexual assault, self harm and suicide.

#44 Lunagirl

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:00 PM

A book with the same title as a movie or TV show but is unrelated to it - Undying by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner.

It's the sequel to the book of theirs I read last year for the 'two female authors' prompt. Not quite as good but still enjoyable. YA sci-fi.

#45 Lou-bags

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:00 PM

Prompt 38: by or about a journalist
The Suspect, Fiona Barton (audiobook)

Fiona Barton is a former journalist.

This is the 3rd in a series. Stand alone books with recurring characters. Not stellar but I’ve enjoyed all three.

#46 Lunagirl

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:20 PM

43. A book with a character with vision impairment or enhancement (nod to 2020 vision) - All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

This is another book I've been meaning to read for ages and the Popsugar Challenge made me pick up. It was excellent, so well-written. It follows two teenagers in World War II, a blind French girl and a Germany boy.

#47 monet

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:01 PM

I've done a few but might move them around as I read more during the year.

16 A book about or by a women in STEM - The Kiss Quotient
17 A book that won an award in 2019 - Girl Woman Other
26 A book by a WOC - My Sister the Serial Killer
35 A book with a three word title - Five Feet Apart
46 A book by an author who has written more than 20 books - Mysterious Affair at Styles

I'm not sure about this one
31 A medical thriller - Lock Every Door

I enjoyed them all!

#48 Riotproof

Posted Today, 10:00 AM

By a woman in Stem

Lucy Dawson Everything you told me

Lucy Dawson is a physiologist, so I’m counting that as Stem. I wouldn’t overly recommend it unless you see it at a Vinnies or really cheap and you need an aero plane/beach read. It wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t amazing. If worked out 2/3 of the scheme before I’d even gotten halfway. Might have been sooner actually.

#49 Riotproof

Posted Today, 10:41 AM

Next is Fall girl by Toni Jordan for an unrelated movie title

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0220453/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.