Extra-curricular activities

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:04 PM

Im not going to comment on the swimming topic after being totally misconstrued in the other thread.

But I will say I agree that some FYOS kids cope fine with activities. DD2 did swimming and netball both of which are very beneficial to her development (low muscle tone) which helped with school.  She had no issues with being too tired or overwhelmed.

#52 EPZ

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:36 PM

SeaYork Re swimming for fitness (maybe that was the wrong word) swimming is great as gymnastics is a high impact sport with feet/ankles. Swimming works these muscles, without that high intensity.

My DD enjoys it for enjoyment sake,  it’s just a bonus it is so good for her.

I guess like doing Pilates for added benefits.

#53 Just Jack

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:47 AM

Thank you all for your input ☺

A lot to think about.

#54 kimasa

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:53 AM

We allow two at a time, and she is free to change from term to term.

At the moment she does rhythmic gymnastics and swimming.
In the past she's done ballet, kindergym, ready steady go kids and piano.

Her gymnastics studio is introducing circus acrobatics next year and she wants to change from rhythmic to circus then. I also don't expect swimming to last very long, she's like me, hates the stuffy chlorinated pools, does better with instructions in the surf.

Edited by kimasa, 21 November 2019 - 05:55 AM.

#55 BeAwesome

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:04 PM

8 year old: cheer, flute, speech & drama, swimming
11 year old: singing, guitar, violin, musical theatre, taekwondo.

#56 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:36 PM

DS is 5, school next year. He does swimming once a week and that’s enough for me and probably him, but mainly me. Between both sons, next year I will have school, kinder, swimming, therapies, part time work, holidays, and general family and friend events that average put to be once a fortnight, to schedule, organise, and remember.  Plus there are the school and kinder things, excursions, fund raisers, fetes, stalls, interviews, homework, etc. I just can’t handle any more “things”.

If the kids want to do extras, then DH has to organise and manage them and take the kids. Which means weekends only, which is when we already have swimming, so not sure how that would work.

#57 nom_de_plume

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:09 AM

We let the kids do 2 extra curriculars per year. Currently they all do swimming. The oldest two are ready to go to squad. The boys do cricket and soccer depending on the season. The girl does gymnastics but wants to change to basketball next year. They all learn piano but those lessons are through school and run in class time.

For FYOS we started off with just the swimming and didn’t start another sport until the end of the first term. It would have been too much for my kids.

#58 AllyK81

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:14 AM

DS is FYOS this year. He loves his sleep so we did wind everything back and then slowly reintroduce. He loves swimming, ninja training, auskick in winter and cricket in summer.

DD was 4 in July and is a ball of energy (like her mother!). She does ballet, jazz, tap, acro, solo and swimming and copes just fine and will be fine next year when she starts full time ELC for kinder.

All kids are different and you'll know what is a good fit. DD would do more if I let her!!

#59 EPZ

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:39 PM

I thought same but full time is different to P/T school hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.