Woolies and Coles online shopping tips

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 alias grace

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:46 PM

View Posthotsonfornowhere, on 18 November 2019 - 01:33 PM, said:

I love using the Woolworths delivery and click and collect option.
In the section where you can add notes for each item I add in a note for fruit and vegetables that aren't already pre-packaged that I don't want any plastic bags and that I want them loose in the trolley or crate which they do for me.

That is a really useful tip, thank you.  I find that I end up with so many produce bags, often for really ridiculous things like a whole cauliflower or head of broccoli, etc.

#27 MooGuru

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:47 PM

I've done coles delivery. I'm 90% happy with them.
Only bags I get are for frozen things and sometimes like toilet cleaner.

Ive probably had 8-10 deliveries. Of those 8, at least half were 0 issues at all, 2 minor issues, 1 where there was a mix up so one of our crates got mixed with someone else's. It didn't impact us much but would've the other person  and finally one delivery where there was heaps of annoyances - things not in stock (fine), substitutions that were stupid (like pasta sauce as a replacement for a dip and long life milk instead of oat milk). Plus all the dairy ordered was the expires tomorrow reduced type and fruit and veg ordinary too.
I was pretty p*ssed that time but I think I got quite a bit of it refunded when I complained. Hopefully that packer got retrained/reassigned.

#28 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:04 PM

We do Woollies "click and collect" and I opt for no bags. However, I get there 30 minutes before I am supposed to pick-up and I quickly get the F&V myself. The click and collect order is all in a trolley - I just wheel it out to car and pack it into our bags/boxes there.

Keep in mind that any cold groceries (dairy, freezer, meat) will be in plastic bags as they keep them in the fridge out the back until you pick it up. We return the bags each time I go in to pick up.

#29 ABabyPlease

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:18 PM

Shopping online changed my life. I love it!

They are much more reliable than previously. I'm with Woollies and they seem to have a dedicated online shopping warehouse and usually stock everything.

If anything is faulty, just call them and they refund, no questions asked.

I order fruit and veg and they are really fine. I don't like the packaging but it is getting better.

#30 QuirkyMum

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:54 PM

I use Woolies delivery 3-6 times a month. For 3 pm delivery it will be packed in the morning. Everything has always been delivered fresh.
I always select NO substitutes. And I know I can never rely on any fruit/vege coming with the delivery.
It is always fresh and alright really, but sometimes they substitute ( only fruit and veggies) when you tick no substitutions. As in if I need 3 small ripe packham pears for a pie, I could instead get 3 1 kilo packs of pears or 3 green Josephine pears or 3 ginormous brown pears. If you specify exactly what you need, you will likely get it though. Like when my baby was 8-10 months old and I could only give him ripe but firm large (!) strawberries, I'd specify that in the notes for strawberry item and would always get perfect ones.
Also I'd order a bag of salad mix (iceberg with carrots and croutons) and might get a bag of iceberg leaves AND a bag of mixed leaves.
Quite often though I'd order 2 1 kg punnets of pears and get 2 pears. Or order 1 kg punnets of white peach, yellow peach, white nectarin, yellow nectarine each and will be delivered 1 piece of fruit each...
Never happens with apples, only stone fruit and pears. Happened maybe 10 times all in all.
On the other hand, they always send whatever is in season and in excess.
Order 2 broccoli heads and get 4. Order 6 kilos of organic apples, end up with 8 kgs. Order 10 blocks of chocolate when on special, end up with 12.

Coles delivery is much more expensive. Not sure if it is worth it, the only difference is that all Coles drivers speak English. I like Woolies shoppers and what they choose and substitute ( or I'm used to them now and know what to expect).

Edited by QuirkyMum, 18 November 2019 - 06:55 PM.

#31 Chamomile

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:19 PM

Woolies also keeps a list of every product you’ve ever ordered. So you can just go through that and select items for a convenient new order.

#32 Daffy2016

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:37 PM

I’m an outlier. I haaaate it.

I’ve tried woolies online a few times but I hate trying to search for the things I want - going down the billion sub menus takes ages. I can also never seem to order all the things I need - I much prefer looking at what’s available in person.

But I’m probably just not doing it right!

#33 SummerStar

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:27 AM

I wrote a list and know exactly what I want. So type it in the search bar and it pops up. No need to trawl through menus and every item listed.

If you are just impulse shopping and don't know exactly what you're after then yes, it isn't for you. I find I save way more money because in store I do alot of impulse shopping on top of my list. Online I search for exactly the items I want using the search bar and I don't see all the other things I don't need to add to my cart.

#34 Kavity1

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:57 AM

My opinion is mixed, both pro and cons. However our local woolies is about to get a massive new redevelopment with a big new drive through pick up section all undercover, plus they will sell about 100 common items direct so you can drive in grab a loaf of bread and drive out without having to lug kids out of the car, should be awesome.

#35 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:28 AM

View PostKavity1, on 19 November 2019 - 06:57 AM, said:

My opinion is mixed, both pro and cons. However our local woolies is about to get a massive new redevelopment with a big new drive through pick up section all undercover, plus they will sell about 100 common items direct so you can drive in grab a loaf of bread and drive out without having to lug kids out of the car, should be awesome.

OMG! where was this 5 years ago!  god send for parents with babies that are asleep in the car. lol.

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~, 19 November 2019 - 09:28 AM.

#36 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:53 AM

I have always said that whoever invents the drive-thru milk&bread shop, they will be millionaires!

All parents with babies and toddlers will worship them!

Such an attractive feature when you are on your way home from work too and you just need 1-2 things ...

#37 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:55 AM

Just got today's woollies delivery... 45 minutes after my chosen delivery window.
At least they are consistent, so i just add an hour whenever i order online now.  Plus they can leave it on the porch if im not here.

#38 Hollycoddle

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:31 PM

View PostDaffy2016, on 18 November 2019 - 09:37 PM, said:

I’ve tried woolies online a few times but I hate trying to search for the things I want - going down the billion sub menus takes ages. I can also never seem to order all the things I need - I much prefer looking at what’s available in person.

You can build lists.  I keep a master list of most of the things we need fortnightly (which is the frequency that I shop) and add or remove to that to save time.

#39 Hollycoddle

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:33 PM

View PostSummerStar, on 19 November 2019 - 06:27 AM, said:

Online I search for exactly the items I want using the search bar and I don't see all the other things I don't need to add to my cart.

Or that the kids add to your cart when you're not looking or trying to be helpful!  I once asked DS (10) to get me a box of Gladwrap, when I got home and unpacked out came a bulk caterer's pack that will last me 2 years and probably cost about $30-40 lol.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 19 November 2019 - 12:35 PM.

#40 SummerStar

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:52 PM

I've only ever done the shopping online myself. Kids have never been interested nor have I asked them to learn.

I imagine I'd end up with a whole lot of things I never wanted had they wanted to be involved.

Edited by SummerStar, 19 November 2019 - 12:53 PM.

#41 Riotproof

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:13 PM

View PostDaffy2016, on 18 November 2019 - 09:37 PM, said:

I expect you would get good at it if you were doing it regularly.

I don’t like it because I am brand specific on certain things, I don’t get everything I want from one supermarket ever AND I don’t want a delivery driver walking through my house to the kitchen.

In the lead up to Christmas there will be many a vent about things not being delivered too.

#42 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:44 PM

We don't have a delivery option where I am but I use the click and collect option all the time.

I've only ever had issues 1-2 times and they have quickly fixed them (Woolworths).

I have a list of basics saved and often just add them to the cart the night before and then pick the time to pick them up when I finish work or similar. I always tick no substitutions though and write things in the comments if I'm being fussy, i.e. bananas I often write, "green skins please" or "no plastic bag needed, cardboard box please" for fruit/veg. I use the bring your own bags option and every time I've picked them up everything has been in boxes in a trolley. Even the fruit and veg rarely has plastic bags. That might just be our local one though.

#43 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:47 PM

Our local coles will deliver your shopping to your car. They have a car park just outside with the phone number for the click and collect service and come out and put it in your car for you. I haven't used it but god its sounds good for those times when leaving the car is a giant pain.

#44 Jersey Caramel

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:42 PM

For a fruit & veg delivery, I love Harris Farm Markets. The quality is awesome and it all comes in a cardboard box (no bags). They also have regular grocery items though probably a bit more expensive than Coles/Woolies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.