False positives on ebay cheapy pregnancy tests?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Beanette

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:13 PM

I am on my second month of taking the combined contraceptive pill (not the mini pill). Last month I skipped the sugar pills, and so skipped my "period". I am due to start sugar pills for this month on Saturday.

Last night I noticed some brown spotting, which I assumed was breakthrough bleeding from skipping my period last month. DH suggested that I take a pregnancy test, just to double check.

I only had internet cheapy tests at home, and the one I used this morning had a faint second line. I am not sure when exactly the line appeared as I had a shower, so it could have been about 15 minutes after I took it.

I went and bought a FRER test this afternoon, and that was negative.

I really do not want to be pregnant right now, I have a 4 month old DD. I have been feeling slightly sick since Saturday, but I attributed that to takeaway we had on Friday night.

Has anyone had a false positive on an IC test? I will re-test in the morning but trying to not freak myself out in the meantime.

I have no idea how this could have happened, I have been so diligent with taking my pill and haven't missed one, or been vomiting and thrown one up.

#2 Oriental lily

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:34 PM

On my time on EB TTC forums I have seen all sorts of both false positive and negative tests . Even ‘reliable’ pharmacy bought tests sometimes throw up doozies .

So it’s very very possible it’s a glitchy test .

However I have also seen ( myself included) many many woman getting pregnant on the combined contraceptive pill .

So for you it’s a waiting game . I would test again with a reliable brand every couple of days until you certain it’s deffinetly staying negative and then forget it . Any other signs of a line get a blood test .

#3 Beanette

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:39 PM

View PostOriental lily, on 18 November 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

On my time on EB TTC forums I have seen all sorts of both false positive and negative tests . Even ‘reliable’ pharmacy bought tests sometimes throw up doozies .

So it’s very very possible it’s a glitchy test .

However I have also seen ( myself included) many many woman getting pregnant on the combined contraceptive pill .

So for you it’s a waiting game . I would test again with a reliable brand every couple of days until you certain it’s deffinetly staying negative and then forget it . Any other signs of a line get a blood test .

Thank you, I have made a doctors appointment for Thursday. Even if it the tests turn negative, I still want to discuss other options for contraception because this has really scared me.

#4 IamOzgirl

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:54 PM

IC actually are pretty sensitive.

However, all PG tests have a very short shelf life.

How long have you had it?

Expired HPT as a blanket rule have more chance at false positive than ICs.

How concentrated was your urine on the FRER? It is quite possible that the IC was sensitive enough. But your urine wasn't concentrated enough to show on the FRER.

So FRER with first morning urine tomorrow morning. if negative all good.

#5 Beanette

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:12 PM

View PostIamOzgirl, on 18 November 2019 - 02:54 PM, said:

IC actually are pretty sensitive.

However, all PG tests have a very short shelf life.

How long have you had it?

Expired HPT as a blanket rule have more chance at false positive than ICs.

How concentrated was your urine on the FRER? It is quite possible that the IC was sensitive enough. But your urine wasn't concentrated enough to show on the FRER.

So FRER with first morning urine tomorrow morning. if negative all good.

I have had the tests for about a year, maybe 18 months? The expiry is March 2020.

I did the IC with SMU, the FRER was after that but I had only had one glass of water between the tests.

I have always had very reliable results from FRER (usually get positives from 8 DPO) so I hope that it was just a faulty IC test.

#6 IamOzgirl

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:25 PM

How many hours between tests?

#7 Beanette

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:26 PM

View PostIamOzgirl, on 18 November 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

View PostIamOzgirl, on 18 November 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

Two or three, not sure exactly

#8 IamOzgirl

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:43 PM

I think you have to hold it for at least 4hrs to build up the concentration.

Sorry!

I do hope Im wrong

#9 Bono25

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:02 PM

The tga recalled a heap of tests earlier this year for false results.
Best idea is to probably wait until morning and try again with a new test.

#10 rowd

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:10 PM

I am on another page where people have been complaining a lot lately about false positives on ICs. I think there is a good chance it is a false positive. In saying that, they have always been pretty reliable for me. I think if the FRER is negative tomorrow, you're safe. They are very sensitive so FMU would almost definitely pick up a result the day after getting a line on an IC.

#11 Beanette

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:54 PM

View Postrowd, on 18 November 2019 - 04:10 PM, said:

I am on another page where people have been complaining a lot lately about false positives on ICs. I think there is a good chance it is a false positive. In saying that, they have always been pretty reliable for me. I think if the FRER is negative tomorrow, you're safe. They are very sensitive so FMU would almost definitely pick up a result the day after getting a line on an IC.

Yes, this is what I'm hoping. I've also been feeling a bit unwell, that "seedy hangover" feeling that I usually get in early pregnancy.

If it's early enough for the IC and to be feeling sick, then surely a FRER with FMU will give me a positive if I am pregnant.

#12 IamtheMumma

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:22 PM

Isn't there also a time limit on when to read? 5-10 mins but after that consider any result to be false?

#13 Beanette

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:49 PM

View PostIamtheMumma, on 18 November 2019 - 05:22 PM, said:

Isn't there also a time limit on when to read? 5-10 mins but after that consider any result to be false?

Yes, I know that is what the box always says but I have never had a test change after that time period. I thought that advice was to try to prevent indents and evaps from being interpreted as positive? ‍♀️
The line this morning was definitely coloured

#14 IamOzgirl

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:23 AM

How did you go?

#15 Beanette

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for checking in! I used a FRER this morning with FMU and it was negative, not even a hint of a line. I will test again tomorrow morning but I feel very relived; looks like I'm not pregnant!

Edited by Beanette, 19 November 2019 - 10:50 AM.

#16 IamOzgirl

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:42 PM

I'm glad for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.