Costco is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 bubskitkat

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:08 AM

Do you think it’s worth paying for the membership to join Costco to shop?

There is just me and my son in our house but we have a Costco near by.

Are the savings really that great

Yes I’m sure this has been asked and answered before

#2 Anonforthistime

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:13 AM

If they have fuel, then it’s an absolute yes. Yesterday, Costco was 132.7 while all the others were 174.9.
Other than that, it depends on your shopping patterns, how muc storage space you have  and your product preferences. Some things are cheaper, but some things aren’t. The clothing is good value, but a limited range, but good brands.
Maybe go with a friend as a guest before signing up and see if it suits you.

#3 nom_de_plume

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:21 AM

We easily make back the membership fee and then some on the petrol. I work near a store and at the high point of the price cycle, petrol is 30c per litre cheaper.

Other things we commonly buy are meat, alcohol, eggs, laundry detergent, coffee beans, frozen berries, Nuttelex, bakers flour, tinned tomatoes, passata, toothpaste and cat food. We have bought things like sunglasses, a mobile phone, tyres, clothes and toys there in the past. It’s also great for catering for parties, meetings etc

#4 BornToLove

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:25 AM

I agree, a Costco with fuel is worth the membership. More so if you fill up regularly or need premium fuel.

I like going for the books, wine, clothes (mostly for DH), seasonal items, cleaning products and a selection of food items.

If you need glasses, hearing aids or tyres, Costco is very competitive.

However, Costco here isn’t on the same level as Costco in the US. The selection is improving and I hear they are looking to open an online shop which will make a membership a bit more attractive for some, but it’s not always easy to get value out of the membership.

#5 IamzFeralz

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:28 AM

I only have a card for the fuel and it’s only worth it if I fill up there every time, which I do faithfully once a week on the same day.  Also the tyres are a good deal too.

We are a small family too and the food package sizes are too big for our grocery needs.

Their birthday cakes are awesome though, very good value for money.

#6 Bauble Dinkleberry

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:34 AM

I did my first shop a year ago at Costco. Only supermarket items such as laundry powder, toiletries, detergents, sponges, food etc. Everything is in bulk/large sizes which suits me as I have room to store. Most items last 6-12 months which means I have stopped buying these particular items from local supermarket. I compared the prices to Woolies and Coles online (not Aldi) and found everything around 1/4- 1/2 of the price. Suits me and my shopping style. I just buy fresh meat and veg locally now. I go to Costco every three months when the Toilet paper levels get low. I don't need to buy everything each visit as some things last longer than others. If I lived closer I would do a smaller shop more often.

ETA, we are a family of 5 with 3 teenagers who eat like adults.

Edited by jensta, 19 November 2019 - 05:35 AM.

#7 gracie1978

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:38 AM

DP loves it, personally I prefer Aldi.

When you include the time, fuel and tolls to get there it's just not worth it for us.
However DP is not convinced and he and DS go every few months.  I think they secretly go for the terrible hotdogs.

#8 can'tstayaway

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:27 AM

I don’t think it would be worthwhile for me. I have minimal storage so can’t take advantage of the bulk buy discounts. We don’t live near one, so it would be a false economy to drive there for the fuel savings.

#9 IamOzgirl

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:43 AM

I live in an apartment and have minimal storage.
But I like the Kirkland washing liquid.

I buy paper towel in bulk.

Cat food and liter

Giant cling wrap and foil.

I love Monterey Jack cheese
And the gluten free bread is half the price (bundled In a two pack the same price as the supermarket singular)

And gluten free crumbed fish pieces

#10 aligirl

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:47 AM

My DH thinks it is worth it just for the Swiss Miss hot chocolate. The price is good, but the taste makes it a winner for him. Maple syrup is also pretty good.

#11 Babetty

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:58 AM

We went with a friend and bought the giant maple syrup, dried longans and mango, giant bag of Reese's peanut butter cups, stocked up on washing up liquid, tray of croissants and a few other bits and pieces.

So it was a mix of "real" savings on things we'd usually buy and buying extras (liked the dried fruit and chocolate) which is either hard to find or ridiculously expensive in regular supermarkets, which sort of cancels out the savings.

Their meat and bakery stuff is good quality and great value, but I don't have the storage for that.

I don't think membership is worth it for us - it's a 40 minute drive away. Our friends have 4 teenagers, live 10 minutes away and have a deep freeze, so definitely get good value from it.

#12 jayskette

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:09 AM

do you like window shopping? when costco first opened I got a membership thinking that at the very least it was a one day entry to a shopping theme park! since then I have been buying petrol, getting food for office lunches, sharing bulk stuff with neighbours etc.

#13 MagsJee

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:18 AM

My mother signed up because she needed new glasses and Costco was competitive.  She ended up have the whole cost of optometrist visit and glasses covered by her health insurance on which she saved about $400.  

Depends on what you're after and how far you need to travel tbh.

We get meat, fruit, clothes/shoes and DH gets petrol but it's 10 minutes from his work.

#14 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:02 AM

Not for us. Our nearest Costco is 15 minutes away, without traffic. And we don’t have room to store bulk purchases. DH wanted a membership to get cheap big cuts of meat. Then realised our freezer isn’t big enough for that.

I’d rather shop at Aldi, or just wait for sale items at woolies or Kmart etc.

#15 Chocolate Addict

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:39 AM

Not for us. Our nearest Costco is 15 minutes away, without traffic.
That made me laugh!! Our nearest Westfield size shopping centre is 15 minutes away, I would love a Costco that close. :)

Our nearest is 40 mins away and in the city (Melbourne) so I don't go very often.

It was great when I was running community morning teas ,buying treats in bulk saved me heaps. I have let my membership lapse though because I stopped doing them.

If we had one, or a fuel outlet I would probably renew my membership. You do need to know your prices though as sometimes if something is on special elsewhere it might not be cheaper at Costco.

#16 Luci

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:03 AM

I agree with PP's that it depends so much on your shopping habits & family needs. I live in Sydney but the nearest Costco is about 40 minutes away so too far.

I'm the sort of person who shops nearly every day, but I just buy a small amount needed for that day. My older kids usually have a lunch order and DH is away for work a lot, so we don't always need large quantities of food. I have found in the past that if I buy too much at once it can go to waste.  I have read on EB numerous times about various catering things such as big cakes & sandwich platters that can be ordered from Costco which are great for parties and entertaining. However in my case even if I lived near a Costco I wouldn't buy these as I don't entertain large groups.

I do have room to store stuff, so buying up big on toiletries, washing powder etc might be good but I usually buy these items when the supermarket has them half price.

PP's have mentioned that if you go to Costco you really need to know your prices beforehand, and don't assume that everything will be better value than elsewhere. The savings on glasses and hearing aids sound pretty hard to beat though. My MIL bought hearing aids for about $3000, elsewhere would have been $10000 or thereabouts.

#17 magicmrkeronashelf

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:52 AM

We got it when we needed tyres. And it's great for petrol. We save on groceries as well. So l alternate between Costco and Aldi. There are a few things at Coles and Woolies that we like and can't get anywhere else, so just pop in there for when we need it which is not very often. We go through Peanut Butter like it's going out of fashion and l got it on special at Costco $7 for the 1.8kg jar. We like the Maple Syrup. We have storage space here which is a plus.

#18 vanessa71

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:56 PM

View Postaligirl, on 20 November 2019 - 07:47 AM, said:

My DH thinks it is worth it just for the Swiss Miss hot chocolate. The price is good, but the taste makes it a winner for him.

My kids love that hot chocolate, I've tasted it once and it is revoltingly sweet.

I've had a Costco membership for 6 years this year, it basically costs $5 a month, just the saving on goats cheese makes it worth it to me.

#19 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:05 PM

View PostChocolate Addict, on 20 November 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

That made me laugh!! Our nearest Westfield size shopping centre is 15 minutes away, I would love a Costco that close. :)

Haha, I know, I’m so lazy since we moved from the outer fringe suburbs to the denser suburbs. I once considered 15 minutes “local” and had to drive 10 min just to get to a supermarket. I would drive 20-30 min to the nearest big shopping centre. Everything is so close to us now!
In my defence, if there is traffic, it can take up to 25minutes, and it’s a horrible drive with traffic lights and lots of cars, and I pass so many other shopping and petrol options along the way, that it just seems pointless to drive that far for Costco items.

#20 Norma-Bean Baker

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:21 PM

I priced out their nappies and Aldi is cheaper and I like their nappies.  (Costco only sell huggies and their own brand). Fuel is a good price and if you've got the storage space, items like toilet paper, paper towels, washing and cleaning products and meat are a good buy.  If you've only got a small family it would be borderline savings as there's a lot you just won't get through before expiry date.
We will probably renew ours just for the jalepeno poppers.  
oh and the family sized pizzas are good value too.

#21 IamOzgirl

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:34 PM

I am just me and my cat, and I find enough to buy. And I'm gluten intolerance so there is lots I can't buy.

Re hot choc, the herseys Coco powder is the best. The on packet instructions for single serve or larger is the best hot choc I have ever had.

I also love the large size herbs.

#22 Greatmum

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:39 PM

I don’t necessarily find it cheaper it’s just in bulk so don’t have to go buy things as often. And things there u can’t buy anywhere else.

#23 It's Percy

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:40 PM

Sigh. One day Perth will get a Costco :(

#24 SummerStar

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:59 PM

For us, no. It's too far to warrant the savings so I wouldn't even bother. And re fuel the metros near us have been 131 for the last week while the BP and Shell near by were 172. So if our every day fuel is as cheap as Costco then we wouldn't need it for that either.

If we didn't need a membership we might go occasionally but I'm not going to bother with a membership to get in to a store we can only get to occasionally for minimal savings after the travel. Even though we have 6 people so I buy in bulk anyway, I have just read about many variables with Costco to make sure you're actually getting a good price.

I have heard though that you can get a refund for the membership if it doesn't work for you so if it's near by then it might be worth having a look at least.

#25 IamOzgirl

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:11 PM

View PostIt, on 20 November 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

Sigh. One day Perth will get a Costco :(

I believe it’s coming next year. Site has already been purchased.

I took a Perth friend to mine a couple of months ago and she was so excited it was hard to drag her out and she texted her DH in excitement. Lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.