School Costs 2019

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 casime

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:08 PM

I've just received the bill for my child's school booklist and associated costs for 2020.  I will, of course, pay it (have already paid it), and I don't begrudge schools any funding that they ask for.  I'm just curious about how public school costs differ around the country, what you are expected to pay for, and what it includes and how they break down the costs.  

My son's account for Grade 3 is $394.80 for the year.

- $90 is for the swimming program for terms 1 and 4.
- $50 is for paper (photocopying)
- $100 is for 'additional resources to support instruction'.

I'm just curious what other schools are putting up as fees, and what it includes.

Edited by casime, 19 November 2019 - 08:21 PM.

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:12 PM

DS yr11 will be $850. It’s for photocopying and additional resources.

The kids’ primary school F-7 was around $350 for that. Excursions and swimming extra.

#3 BornToLove

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:19 PM

I paid DD’s book list yesterday. It came to $400. That doesn’t include swimming ($50) and camp (5 days, $400) and any other excursions /incursions (usually $10-$20 per term).

Suburban Melbourne public primary school.

Edited by BornToLove, 19 November 2019 - 08:19 PM.

#4 kimasa

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:19 PM

We're in a lower SES outermost suburb of Melbourne (as in, 10 mins down the road is considered "regional") public primary school.

$120 for 2019, it's going up to $135 for 2020.
- All books and stationery
- Reading eggs subscription
- Mathletics subscription

There is no swimming until grade 6, it's a financial strain for most families at the school, so they only do the required year 6 bit. Excursions are charged separately, but most families are on the State School Fund, we're one of the few full paying families and we've paid $91.45 total for 2 excursions, one incursion, one bus travel to concert rehearsal and one themed day special food.

Edited by kimasa, 19 November 2019 - 08:20 PM.

#5 chicken_bits

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:37 PM

Low SES in Melbourne here. DD will also be in Gr 3 next year and DS starting FYOS.

$135 for each kid includes all books, stationery etc.

In FYOS that includes a hat and book bag.

Additional costs for incursions/excursions come throughout the year but are usually only $5/$10 each.

Optional $60 each for an 8 day swimming program.

#6 MGB

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:38 PM

For the last couple of years we have paid $70 per child for the book pack- that includes their work books and reading eggs. Pencils, glue, scissors etc are purchased by families seperate to the book pack.

Voluntary fees are $100 per child or $150 for two or more. We have always paid this.

Then there are the various incursions/excursions throughout the year.

#7 Prancer is coming

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:40 PM

Our primary school is around $200-300 for grade 4 and below, and around $400 for grade 5 and 6.

This includes everything - books, stationery, swimming, all excursions and incursions and library bag.  It is dearer in grade 5 as there is a 5 day bicycle program, and grade 6 for leaver’s activities.  If there is a camp (it comes and goes) that is extra.

#8 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:40 PM

Middle of literally nowhere medium sized school mid to low ses. WA. $125 for stationary each for grades 4 & 6 (I actually got it down to $65 as we had lots of the stuff already). Yr 6 camp is around $600-$700 I believe. School fees $60/kid/year. No swimming lessons offered.

Edited by mayahlb, 19 November 2019 - 08:40 PM.

#9 ~Kay~

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:42 PM

Sydney public school

2 kids.

1 infants, 1 primary.

$1650 includes excursions, supplies, camp.

#10 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:42 PM

Medium SES Melbourne FYOS
$ 270 including stationery
$ 130 for 2 weeks swimming ( bussed to pool, optional).
Various incursions $ 5 to 7 about 2 per term
One field trip $ 35

#11 Mum of a miracle

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:50 PM

My son is in public primary school and was $60 for the year for all books pencils, textas reading books everything we didn't have to supply amything.

I think they did ask for some tissues hand sanitizer and wipes but that's it.

No swimming or anything (year 4 here) there has been excursions but they aren't compulsory.

Edited by Mum of a miracle, 19 November 2019 - 09:08 PM.

#12 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:57 PM

youngest son is public primary NSW - medium to high SES - like PP we were asked to provide hand sanitiser and tissues at the beginning of the year, there’s been a week of swimming lessons - can’t recall the exact amount - $50 maybe? maybe another $20 here and there for some Be Skilled Be Fit program....i don’t think we’ve topped $150 for him. older DS is in public high....he’d be similar ....

#13 ABabyPlease

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:59 PM

Primary school fees are about $500-$600 for the year. This includes incursions, computers to share, all stationery including pens, pencils etc.

Camp and swimming are extra.

It's a simple school with no music program so I'm not sure why the fees are higher. Maybe because it's a small school?

#14 -Emissary-

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:00 PM

Got the list for high school next for DS. Didn’t really read what they were for but it was about $350 for fees. Excursions, camp and books on top.

Public school out west in a low SES area.

I think I paid about $800 this year for DS including school camp and swim school.

#15 seayork2002

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:04 PM

Y7 2020 - $700 (incl p&c & build fund and IT, photo copy, sports etc.)

$240ish ish camp

$110 or so book pack (No text/reading books though...yet)

We need to buy a laptop & uniforms

Thank goodness we only have the one puppy, I mean child

#16 Dianalynch

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:10 PM

Last year we paid $330 including stationary, this year it’s BYO stationary so the feee should go down. Swimming at $130 plus camp $350 plus other excursions are extra. Around $900 all up, pretty high ses about 11 kms from Melbourne cbd.

#17 **Xena**

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:10 PM

I'm dreading finding out. It's usually around $800 for highschool (I have 2 boys in high school) about $500 for grade 6 (my eldest daughter) and my youngest starts Kinder which is usually around $150. Our fees include everything except uniforms etc.

Edited by **Xena**, 19 November 2019 - 09:10 PM.

#18 JomoMum

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:14 PM

Kindergarten NSW (FYOS) Government School.

Optional $50 donation towards stationery/classroom supplies.

Plus adhoc fundraising for p&c .. “bring a gold coin” event probably once a month.

ETA $25 excursion to local wildlife park (optional)

Edited by JomoMum, 19 November 2019 - 09:16 PM.

#19 EPZ

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:35 PM

Grade 5 worked out to about $600, which includes - camp 4 days, books, all fees, excursions, incursions, health class, kitchen garden x 2 terms, subscriptions- mathletics.

Edited by EPZ, 19 November 2019 - 09:37 PM.

#20 It's Percy

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:40 PM

Primary school in western suburbs Perth (reasonably affluent area). Its an independent public primary school so in charge of their own budget.

School contribution (voluntary) $60
Optional extra charges  $745

The optional extra charges includes excursions and incursions, swimming lessons (two weeks twice a year), art and music classes, etc etc. Apparently its also voluntary. No camp either - camp is in years 5 and 6 and is $400 for each year group.

Stationery is on top - think that was another $200.

Also uniform while not compulsory, are strongly encouraged so add another $300 on top as this year was our first year (year 4).

Forgot the additional $100 for the P&C plus numerous fund raising during the year like a disco, faction days, movie nights, writer festival etc etc

Edited by It's Percy, 19 November 2019 - 09:48 PM.

#21 Kreme

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:42 AM

DS at high SES public primary was $882 this year. That includes camp (around $250 I think), text books ($20) and all excursions. He’s currently participating in School Spectacular and it was $200 for all the buses, uniforms and other costs. That’s optional however.

His high SES public high school for next year is $2300 which includes camp, text books, voluntary P&C levy and voluntary building fund. It doesn’t include uniform, laptop or co curricular activities.

DD is also at a public high school and year 7 was $2600 which included camp, voluntary P&C levy and voluntary building fund but didn’t include stationery, excursions or co curricular activities.

#22 Wahwah

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:09 AM

Inner city, high SES.

Primary school this year was about $700 including camp, excursions, etc. But didn't include swimming.

High school is $1000, including building donation (which is tax deductible) but not including book list, stationery, camp, excursions, sports, etc. So adding all the other stuff in, would be close to $2000 per year.

#23 Apageintime

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:26 AM

FYOS Canberra public school

$89 bookpack
$100 library donation
$100 school donation

I'll also send in 10 packs of nice tissues in winter as the ones they order are scratchy.

#24 seayork2002

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:31 AM

OT

but can anyone tell me how you know your school is low or high SES? (this is a question as I don't know - I have looked on 'my school' for DS's but can't seem to see it)

I only want to know for curiosity sake really

#25 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:32 AM

oh yes....just realised my previous post was wrong! i totally forgot about the voluntary school contributions....we make them, for each child and they’re around $250 ea i think - so yeh....costs probably do amount to $350 - $400 for each child.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.