School Costs 2019

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 hills mum bec

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:42 AM

I have kids in Adelaide semi-rural public schools:

DD2 will be in year 3 - Material & Services fees are about $275 which includes all stationery for the year.  We pay extra for camps, excursions, swimming (one week) and special programs such as gymnastics, dance, soccer clinic.  School has uniforms with logos available to purchase (reasonably priced) but not compulsory.  Generic school uniforms can be purchased from Kmart etc in school colours to keep cost down.

DD1 will be in year 10 - Material & Services fees are about $595 but we still have to purchase our own stationery from a book list that adds about $100 to that.  Camps and excursions are extra but there never seems to be too many of them and a lot of excursions are free because the school owns a school bus so there is no bus fees for excursions like there is for the primary school.  School is about 15kms away with no public transport access so travel on the school bus to and from school is also free.  School uniform with school logo is compulsory and a bit on the expensive side.

Speaking to friends with kids similar ages and at different schools, ours seems to be on the cheaper side for Adelaide.  School fees are also compulsory here and you will be contacted by DECD debt collection for non-payment unless you have a School Card which is available to families under a certain income threshold.

#27 Wahwah

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:10 AM

seayork2002, on 20 November 2019 - 08:31 AM, said:

OT

but can anyone tell me how you know your school is low or high SES? (this is a question as I don't know - I have looked on 'my school' for DS's but can't seem to see it)

I only want to know for curiosity sake really

In Myschool each school has a ICSEA score, which is an index of community social-educational advantage, and then there's a  bar chart that shows the proportion of families who are in each quartile for SEA. This reflects the characteristics of the families at the school. The average is 1000, our primary school is 1160,  and for comparison a top private school in a wealthy suburb might be 1180.

In terms of straight SES, I think most comments in this post would be a reflection the assumed average income in the suburb, types of employment, highest education level and probably house prices.

#28 seayork2002

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:15 AM

Wahwah, on 20 November 2019 - 09:10 AM, said:

In Myschool each school has a ICSEA score, which is an index of community social-educational advantage, and then there's a  bar chart that shows the proportion of families who are in each quartile for SEA. This reflects the characteristics of the families at the school. The average is 1000, our primary school is 1160,  and for comparison a top private school in a wealthy suburb might be 1180.

In terms of straight SES, I think most comments in this post would be a reflection the assumed average income in the suburb, types of employment, highest education level and probably house prices.

thanks for that, so his current primary and future high school are both 1100 then (I just looked it up)

#29 Jingleflea

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:19 AM

Public primary in the ACT.
3rd grade

This year for Dd I've paid $300 for the required chromebook

Book pack was about $100

She's had a few free excursions but about 4 "gold coin donation' things on at school.

Swimming is optional as is the Fun Day at the local water park in a few weeks($25 if she goes)

Fees are $60 A YEAR(!!) which can be building fund OR library fund. One is tax deductible, I think the library one.

#30 lozoodle

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:21 AM

Mmm not sure overall, probably about $1,000 all up for the year 5 kid, maybe $1500 for the year 3 kid as she needed an ipad and maybe $500 for the grade 1

edit to add year 5 and year 3 both had camps this year

this cost included some ad hoc sport activities etc plus some new bits and pieces they needed through the year.

Its probably less, but I'm usually a bit generous in my estimations for budgeting purposes. The voluntary contribution is F all, and the rest are just ad hoc things.

This is a public primary in suburban sydney

Edited by lozoodle, 20 November 2019 - 09:27 AM.

#31 Quick hedgehog

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:54 AM

Dandenong Ranges, so outer Melbourne.

I have just got the form for next year for year 6.  
Compulsory component is $305, then a suggested voluntary contribution of $50, so total $355

Then the local high school for year 7 comes in at:

Essential:  $290
locker  $20
camp  $285
voluntary  $35
library:  $30
Building fund  $75
so total :  $735

and for year 10
essential:  $290
locker;  $20
varying amounts depending on electives:  lowest one is $120.
library:  30
building fund  $75
so total  $535

And then the BYOD for year 7 and 10, about $800 each.
and uniform:  $426 for the bare minimum for one child
and then books on top of that which comes to $200 and that doesn't yet include exercise books, stationery etc.

So all up to send my dd to high school next year will cost me about $2200 and then the costs that come up during the year for excursions etc.   Ouch!

Edited by Quick hedgehog, 20 November 2019 - 10:03 AM.

#32 PrincessPeach

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:12 AM

Increadibly mixed SES (think mega wealthy & struggle street) primary on the gold coast & for year 1, the boolist is $115.

Voluntary fee of $50 per student & then they also ask parents to supply a rheem of paper & box of tissues per student.

#33 kimasa

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:25 AM

seayork2002, on 20 November 2019 - 08:31 AM, said:

OT

but can anyone tell me how you know your school is low or high SES? (this is a question as I don't know - I have looked on 'my school' for DS's but can't seem to see it)

I only want to know for curiosity sake really

The MySchool website has the SES breakdown under the "Student background" section. It shows the schools ICSEA value, plus the distribution of students divided into quarters.

Edit: saw it's already been answered, ignore me

Edited by kimasa, 20 November 2019 - 10:26 AM.

#34 Kreme

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:16 AM

kimasa, on 20 November 2019 - 10:25 AM, said:

The MySchool website has the SES breakdown under the "Student background" section. It shows the schools ICSEA value, plus the distribution of students divided into quarters.

Edit: saw it's already been answered, ignore me

ICSEA measures socio-educational advantage, comprising parent education, parent occupation, location of school and % of indigenous students. Family income is not considered.

SES is socio-economic status which includes income.

There are some public schools with higher ICSEA scores than elite private schools charging $30k a year. It doesn’t mean that the parents at the public school are wealthier.

#35 laridae

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:37 AM

Ours is $240 a year (prep-6) and it includes all excursions,  swimming (3-5 only), stationary etc.

#36 Greatmum

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:44 AM

Primary school $50

High school around $500 depends what electives they do.

#37 MrsLexiK

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:57 AM

$190 next year for yr 1 at a rural public primary. Book and stationary pack, art supply, misc, optional yrly subscription to reading eggs and mathletics. ($15 each they use them in class regardless of whether we pay for the subscription it the subscription allows them to use it at home). We then have a voluntary contribution that is up to us. Excursions and incursions have all been extra. Except for swimming ($70) and the zoo ($17) they have been all under $10. Some we haven’t had to pay for either so I assume we only have to pay for a portion.

This year fees were $175 for prep.

House prices are high and incomes are high however I suspect occupations would be in the less advantaged category for a lot of families with one or both parents (thinking back to when we filled them out for kinder and prep and the occupations in each category), so I think we get a lot of funding.

#38 timtam92

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:36 PM

Melbourne se suburb- around $400 for grade 1. Plus stationery and everything else. It seems they want money for something every week. We only have one child and can afford it, but feel for those that can’t.

#39 nom_de_plume

Posted 20 November 2019 - 05:45 PM

High SES Melbourne Public Primary

$320 Essential Student Learning Items (Stationery, textbooks, consumables)
$330 Suggested Voluntary Contributions (building fund, first aid, grounds keeping etc)

Oldest is off to high school next year and I haven’t seen the feed yet. Budgeting around $1800 including laptop and uniform though I suspect it will come in closer to $1500.

#40 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 20 November 2019 - 05:53 PM

Expelliarmus, on 19 November 2019 - 08:12 PM, said:

DS yr11 will be $850. It’s for photocopying and additional resources.

The kids’ primary school F-7 was around $350 for that. Excursions and swimming extra.

Our primary school is the same (could even be the same one). We dont have to provide stationery as a general rule.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.