fondant cupcakes in the heat

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:52 PM

So I've just finished covering 24 cupcakes in fondant to take to school tomorrow.  It's really hot here, can I leave them in the fridge overnight?  Or freeze them?

I'm going to have to take them with me in the morning, they won't be distributed until 12.30.  I will never be sending cakes to school again.

#2 laridae

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:57 PM

I'd put them in the fridge in a sealed container. Not freeze - you don't want moisture on the fondant.

#3 Contrebasse

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:01 PM

Can you bring an ice brick or two with you to school to keep them cool?

#4 ytt

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:28 PM

Don't put fondant in the fridge it will go yuck.... google it.

putting in cool esky or air conditioned room would be better

#5 ytt

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:31 PM

fondant will hold better than buttercream in the heat. But I'm assuming buttercream or ganache is under the fondant??? might not hold up.

I work in a school and find a packet of Zooper Doopers in the heat the most popular birthday treat! or even a donut, that seems to be getting more popular.

Today a parent brought in a slab cake from Costco! What the actual F!!!! the teacher had to cut and distribute with plate, tissue or napkin. As no napkin or plate was given I assume a tissue was used. A whole cake is totally inappropriate .

#6 IamtheMumma

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:37 PM

I use an airtight container and then into the fridge. You can put paper towel in the container if you think there might be moisture.

I've never had a problem with fondant in the fridge. It wouldn't last a week without getting dry but overnight is fine, as is a day or two.

#7 IamOzgirl

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:39 PM

View Postytt, on 20 November 2019 - 07:31 PM, said:

fondant will hold better than buttercream in the heat
This

I also like the esky idea if you are really worried.

No need to put ice in it. Just keeping the heat off them.

#8 ABabyPlease

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:51 PM

I always put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge and never had a problem.

#9 IamOzgirl

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:46 PM

Typically it swears and you get dots/indents on the cake

#10 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:07 AM

Today a parent brought in a slab cake from Costco! What the actual F!!!! the teacher had to cut and distribute with plate, tissue or napkin. As no napkin or plate was given I assume a tissue was used. A whole cake is totally inappropriate .

This is why I went for the cupcakes.  No paper cases either.  Same for the fondant icing, less messy than buttercream.  took forever though and I still have to make his cake for the weekend.

#11 klr75

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:51 AM

On the plus side, at least it wasn't a Coles/Woolie Mud Cake - trying to cut that up between 20-25 odd kids is fun!!!!  Not my story, a teacher friend of mine has mentioned this a few times!!

#12 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:30 PM

Hours of work demolished in less than 2 mins.

#13 Mooples

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:39 PM

View Postklr75, on 21 November 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

On the plus side, at least it wasn't a Coles/Woolie Mud Cake - trying to cut that up between 20-25 odd kids is fun!!!!  Not my story, a teacher friend of mine has mentioned this a few times!!

I’ve had this before. Literally just a cake bought in. I had to find a knife and napkins. It was a crumbly mess trying to cut it into 24 slices.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.