Stressing out.. Thailand, dengue fever..

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 newmumandexcited

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:27 PM

Hi all,

I’m in Phuket and stupidly didn’t do my research..and for two days I didn’t out repellent on my tiny kids including a semi jungley visit to the elephants. I’m starting to out citronella spray on now but everyone is getting more and more bites..

I’m getting so paranoid that they may have contracted dengue. My biggest fear is we will have to stay to be treated here, as frankly, I really dislike it and am desperate to get home.

Talk me down rational eB! I feel like such a crap parent.

Edited by newmumandexcited, 20 November 2019 - 10:27 PM.

#2 gettin my fance on

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:46 PM

https://www.sahealth... and prevention

It seems that treatment is paracetamol and increase in fluid intake.  So you shouldn't need to be 'treated' as such while there.

Fingers crossed you are all well.

#3 newmumandexcited

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:02 PM

Sigh they don’t let you fly with a fever..listen to me catastrophising..

#4 Purple Polka Dots

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:17 PM

I flew when I had salmonella.
Holiday illness sucks, fingers crossed you haven’t picked anything up. Just keep reapplying the repellent now that you know.

#5 gettin my fance on

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:25 PM

View Postnewmumandexcited, on 20 November 2019 - 11:02 PM, said:

Sigh they don’t let you fly with a fever..listen to me catastrophising..

If any of you have contracted it, the panadol should bring your temp down.  As it's not contagious (person to person) you should be able to fly?

#6 newmumandexcited

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:53 PM

God I hope so..I keep reading stories about people getting stuck here for two weeks because of it..

#7 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:03 AM

They have some excellent hospitals in Bangkok should you need them. It is unlikely though. How’s your travel insurance?

As a side note, a good thing to remember (on holidays especially) is to try not to get bitten by anything. Insects and animals carry lots of diseases.

#8 newmumandexcited

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:24 AM

Ha good travel insurance. I’m stressing for likely nothing I know.

#9 Froyo

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:46 AM

View Postnewmumandexcited, on 20 November 2019 - 11:53 PM, said:

God I hope so..I keep reading stories about people getting stuck here for two weeks because of it..
What about all the people who don't contract it? Do you know anyone personally who has?
Stop reading stories. It's in no way helpful.

#10 born.a.girl

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:11 AM

Can you get something stronger than citronella?

I use very natural products at home, but where there is a risk of illness from mozzies, use something stronger, and spray it on shoes before putting them on, plus on other clothing, as well as skin.

#11 MarciaB

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:36 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 21 November 2019 - 05:11 AM, said:

Can you get something stronger than citronella?

I use very natural products at home, but where there is a risk of illness from mozzies, use something stronger, and spray it on shoes before putting them on, plus on other clothing, as well as skin.

Yep - stronger stuff than citronella is required also long pants and shirts is great protection.

#12 Dianalynch

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:52 AM

I would also be using a tropical strength repellent, and spraying it on clothes / shoes as well as skin. Long pants and shirts. I've had a mosquito borne illness, it was not fun. Good luck op I hope you all stay well.

#13 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:52 AM

From the BetterHealth website (Vic Government)

note that Citronella doesn't get a mention.
Avoid mosquito bites and avoid dengue virus in commonly affected areas

Protect yourself against mosquito bites to avoid dengue virus (and other mosquito-borne diseases) in dengue-affected areas. Suggestions include:
  • Wear socks, long pants and long-sleeved shirts. Loose fitting clothing makes it harder for mosquitoes to bite you through your clothes.
  • Wear mosquito repellent that contains the active constituents DEET (N,N-Diethyl-m-toluamide) or picaridin. Reapply regularly and make sure you follow directions for safe use on the label. (For kids, it can be safer to spray insect repellent on their clothes rather than their skin.)
  • Apply insect repellent first thing in the morning because dengue mosquitoes bite during the day, both outdoors and inside homes and buildings.
  • Apply a product, such as permethrin, to your clothes or bedding.
  • Use a bed net (mosquito net).
  • Stay in air-conditioned accommodation with flyscreens on the windows.
https://www.betterhe...e-virus-disease

#14 ainira

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:57 AM

Op, all 7-11 stores in Thailand sell decent mozzie repellent. I think they sell the "Off" brand, which is quite effective.

Please get some for your family. Citronella really won't cut it there.

#15 Apageintime

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:31 AM

I'd be getting a repellant with DEET asap. I'm sure you'll all be fine but citronella stuff isn't enough.

#16 born.a.girl

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:12 AM

I fear we're going to make the OP even more concerned, but OP remember you can't change what's happened, and you can either obsess about it, or focus on what you can change from now on.

From today, make sure they're properly protected with an appropriate repellent.

#17 seayork2002

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:10 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 21 November 2019 - 07:12 AM, said:

I fear we're going to make the OP even more concerned, but OP remember you can't change what's happened, and you can either obsess about it, or focus on what you can change from now on.

From today, make sure they're properly protected with an appropriate repellent.

this!

#18 newmumandexcited

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:06 AM

Thanks all - I got some better stuff last night. Thanks again!

#19 PrincessPeach

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:24 AM

You will be allowed to fly home. My friend's husband contracted it whilst over there on a mission trip. Agreed it took him a good 3 months to recover, but he is perfectly fine now.

#20 born.a.girl

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:40 AM

View Postnewmumandexcited, on 21 November 2019 - 09:06 AM, said:

Thanks all - I got some better stuff last night. Thanks again!

Great. Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay there.

#21 lozoodle

Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:24 AM

OP try not to worry I’m sure you’ll be fine. What’s done is done, you’ll be fine. Enjoy your holiday and don’t let the panic over something maybe happening ruin it.

As for not flying with a fever... I have loads of times and millions of people do every day. They hardly do routine temp checks at the airport...

#22 Kreme

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:23 AM

View Postlozoodle, on 29 November 2019 - 05:24 AM, said:

As for not flying with a fever... I have loads of times and millions of people do every day. They hardly do routine temp checks at the airport...

We had to walk through a temperature scanner when we arrived in Singapore (from Europe via Dubai) last month.

#23 Lou-bags

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:23 AM

View Postlozoodle, on 29 November 2019 - 05:24 AM, said:

OP try not to worry I’m sure you’ll be fine. What’s done is done, you’ll be fine. Enjoy your holiday and don’t let the panic over something maybe happening ruin it.

To be fair to OP, they did actually do temp checks at airports for a while there, so it’s not a far fetched thing to stress about. Was it SARS? I think it was during the SARS outbreak.

#24 Fabulous

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:33 AM

I wish I was in Thailand, love the place. Dengue is definitely on the rise however the chances of catching it are still very low. You and your kids will be fine.

#25 lozoodle

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:03 AM

Ahhh I didn't realise that. Well good to know for future flying :)

Anyway, panadol will fix that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.