Rayon - dress shrunk in wash - what did I do wrong?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ~*Lou*~

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:50 AM

Help.

Foe second summer I have bought a dress made of Rayon, worn the dress, LOVED the dress, washed it on cold in a lingerie bag in the machine and each dress has shrunk. It’s not me gaining weight, each dress is shorter, tighter through sleeves, waist band & hem now higher, waistband now on my ribs, tighter across bust, collar sitting differently. One was from Zara and the other from Country Road.

What did I do wrong? Should I have bought a size up and expected them to shrink? Dry clean only? Would hand washing have made a difference- washing machine was on cold.

Thank you for any suggestions
Lou

#2 MummaBlossom

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:01 AM

No solution here, but the same thing happened to me with a lovely top. Cold wash, lingerie bag....shrunk!! I took it back for a refund but was so disappointed. Also considering buying a size up to see if it works out better. Hope someone else comes in with a solution!

#3 sammyv

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:03 AM

Not sure how to prevent it but this might be of interest

https://www.wikihow.com/Unshrink-Rayon

#4 born.a.girl

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:08 AM

It happened to a sundress of my daughter's which was pretty much unwearable as it was button down the front, and was now gaping.

I washed it again on a gentle wash, or just wet it, can't remember, then gently ironed it dry.

Made a huge difference.

#5 chloe_belle

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:09 AM

Try a cool to warm iron and hold the fabric taut as you do it to stretch out the fabric. Just be careful your iron isn’t too hot. I find this works well for me with rayons

#6 Mmmcheese

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:16 AM

Had the same issue... Very annoying. Don't have a solution here either!

#7 Romeo Void

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:50 AM

I refuse to buy anything with Rayon in it anymore.  I'm sure clothes are designed to disintegrate these days...I'm over clothes lasting 1-2 wears.

#8 luckynutcracker

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:28 AM

Yes, happened with a jumpsuit from princess highway.
On reflection, I should have taken it back, it still fitted but firmly.
If it shrinks, you've followed the washing instructions and you can't wear it you should get a refund as the item is not "fit for purpose" per the trade practices act. I think.

#9 Let-it-go

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:34 AM

YOU CAN FIX THIS!!!!

This very well known with rayon.  You use a steamer and stretch it back into shape.  It will work I promise.  Go to Kmart and get a $35 steamer (best investment ever, goodbye iron for when you chuck stuff on).  Patiently steam it bit by bit and the fabric will relax and come back to shape.  I buy a lot of rayon stuff and am a member of a buy sell group for a brand that uses a lot of rayon and there has been much discussion on this topic and it always works.

#10 Mands09

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:36 AM

Yeah steam/cool iron it. And then never buy rayon ever again is my advice.

Goodluck.

#11 wallofdodo

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:09 AM

View PostLet-it-go, on 21 November 2019 - 08:34 AM, said:

YOU CAN FIX THIS!!!!

This very well known with rayon.  You use a steamer and stretch it back into shape.  It will work I promise.  Go to Kmart and get a $35 steamer (best investment ever, goodbye iron for when you chuck stuff on).  Patiently steam it bit by bit and the fabric will relax and come back to shape.  I buy a lot of rayon stuff and am a member of a buy sell group for a brand that uses a lot of rayon and there has been much discussion on this topic and it always works.

Gorman??

#12 hills mum bec

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:11 AM

View Postchloe_belle, on 21 November 2019 - 07:09 AM, said:

Try a cool to warm iron and hold the fabric taut as you do it to stretch out the fabric. Just be careful your iron isn’t too hot. I find this works well for me with rayons

This is what I do with rayon clothes too.  It loosens up the fabric really well.

ETA - A spin in the clothes dryer on the coolest setting will work too.

Edited by hills mum bec, 21 November 2019 - 09:11 AM.

#13 Let-it-go

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:39 AM

View Postwallofdodo, on 21 November 2019 - 09:09 AM, said:

Gorman??

No, Spell.

#14 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:44 AM

View PostRomeo Void, on 21 November 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

I refuse to buy anything with Rayon in it anymore.  I'm sure clothes are designed to disintegrate these days...I'm over clothes lasting 1-2 wears.

Same. It’s on my never-again list. Always shrinks beyond reuse. Even if I hand wash. Stupid fabric.
I don’t buy 100% viscose either

#15 NannyPlumPudding

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:59 AM

This has happened to me several times too! So frustrating when it happens to something fairly expensive.  I bought a lovely top from rockmans (not expensive but lovely) and it shrunk in the first wash.

Or I find clothes get really misshapen with weird hems or neck lines.  I thought it was because I was buying cheaper items but since it's happened with the more expensive stuff I have just given up and will look like a slob.

#16 amdirel

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:04 AM

Rayon and viscose I either avoid buying, or I buy the next size up. It always bloody shrinks!

#17 *Andi*

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:53 PM

Oh, that's what happened to a nice top I bought at Portmans recently that was 100% viscose! I loved it the first time I wore it, washed it, then packed it for a night away. I had to wear it out to dinner as I hadn't packed anything else, but it was so short! I'll have to try one of these fixes.

#18 Rangeman

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:06 PM

I'm another vote for ironing, I have a few tops like this. Back to normal once ironed.

I was at girlfriends not long ago and she came out wearing her new rayon dress that fit perfectly but then way too small after washing, she was going to throw it out lucky I was there to tell her to iron it - boom back to normal!

#19 Silver Girl

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:22 PM

Rayon sounds way too high maintenance for me.

#20 Let-it-go

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:26 PM

Silver Girl, on 21 November 2019 - 02:22 PM, said:

Rayon sounds way too high maintenance for me.

See, I have a fabulous solution (I really love the rayon stuff I buy, I love the way it hangs)....

You never wash it :ninja:.

#21 alchetta

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

This thread has me bumming really hard about a favourite dress that I wore once then donated due to it shrinking in the wash. I assumed I'd done something wrong and that it wasn't salvageable!

#22 FretfulMum

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:13 PM

I have many rayon Spell dresses which are notorious for shrinking after washing. BUT I have never had this problem - I only hand wash these dresses and hang them carefully. Then I iron them with a steam iron & they’re like new 👌🏻

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.