So I left the towels on the line overnight.....

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 purpleduck

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:16 AM

and now they are smoky.....

Do I really need to rewash them? Tomorrow is expected to be smoky in Sydney too so I'm thinking its not worth leaving them out to "air" :lol:

As a bit of extra - is it smokey or smoky?? Apparently Smokey is a proper noun and smoky is the adjective... guess I'm not using the word enough to remember.....

#2 Riotproof

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:18 AM

Everything smells like smoke anyway. Even inside. I’d just use the towels. No point using more water to wash them.

#3 purpleduck

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:20 AM

See inside isn't smoky yet, just the bathrooms with the window vents.... I don't mind leaving them out until it is less smoky, just wasn't sure how fixed the smell would be....

#4 eponee

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:34 AM

no e

#5 dadwasathome

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:36 AM

View Postpurpleduck, on 21 November 2019 - 07:20 AM, said:

See inside isn't smoky yet, just the bathrooms with the window vents.... I don't mind leaving them out until it is less smoky, just wasn't sure how fixed the smell would be....

Probably similar to cigarette smoke - remember how airing would only dull down that pub/nightclub stench, only washing would get rid of it.

#6 born.a.girl

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:36 AM

I wouldn't waste more water washing them again.

Our washing machine went BANG recently so took thick towels to neighbour last night, and collected the washed ones at 7am this morning.

They're dry!

Take care, everyone in danger zones.

#7 purpleduck

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:39 AM

Just went and smelled them and they weren’t actually that bad compared to the air.

Might just put them on Airers in the garage for a couple of days...

#8 Freddie'sMum

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:16 AM

I left the sheets and towels out on that horrible smoky day and they absolutely stank of smoke.  I have re-washed the sheets because the kids are going to sleep on them but not the towels because I will just use them as floor towels or mopping up towels.

#9 Quick hedgehog

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:36 AM

I wouldn't wash them but I wouldn't put them away in the cupboard either. As long as the smell is only slight I would put them back in the bathroom for immediate use , they will come around for washing again soon enough.
In my experience airing them won't remove the smell, only washing will.
Unless they are so smelly they are going to make the bathroom stink I can't see the point. We are generally getting way too precious about cleanliness.

Edited by Quick hedgehog, 21 November 2019 - 08:40 AM.

#10 TrixieBelden

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:41 AM

Ours are smokey too and so are our work uniforms, I quite like the smell....

The cat went out to review the situation in the garden and came back smelling smokey too....

#11 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:56 AM

My house is so smoky all the fire alarms went off this morning.

#12 Ivy Ivy

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:57 AM

I put on PJs with a singlet underneath last night, only the singlet had been smoke-dried on the outside line, and it made the PJ top unbearable, the smell wafted through to the top.  I ended up giving in and taking them both off after 15 mins b/c the smell was so bad.

I too have 3 loads of washing outside right now which got completely smoked overnight.  I'm going to rewash them, they smell awful, and I don't want my kids breathing in particles of smoke.

Our inside of house is smoke free.  We've kept the windows and doors closed all week.  Outside is a haze.

#13 amdirel

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:22 AM

No I wouldn't re-waah them.

And I've been writing smokey not smoky. I have no idea what is the right one though...

#14 sahmie

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:28 AM

I remember getting home from the pubs back in the day you could still smoke in them absolutely reeking of smoke. Only a wash fixed it.

#15 PrincessPeach

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:28 PM

I would re-wash them.

However, smoke is a big trigger for my asthma. So the cost benefit is there. However if you dont fit that category, leave them to air a bit longer or put them straight up to be re-used.

#16 MooGuru

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:30 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 22 November 2019 - 01:28 PM, said:

I would re-wash them.

However, smoke is a big trigger for my asthma. So the cost benefit is there. However if you dont fit that category, leave them to air a bit longer or put them straight up to be re-used.

Do you find yourself almost completely bamboozled at the realisation that for other people the smoke haze is at worst a minor irritation?  
Like I see people outside walking and it completely blows me away that they can just do it without a second thought. Same with the towels - How is it even a question to not rewash them. Hell I probably couldn't even be in the same room as them right now. Those of you who are like "it's fine" - I'm looking at you in admiration and thinking "you're the kind of people that'll actually survive the zombie apocalypse!"

#17 purpleduck

Posted 23 November 2019 - 07:12 AM

That sucks MG :( I am one of those people(hence the OP). Don’t know if I would survive a zombie apocalypse:lol: but it has definitely made me think about functioning when these events occur as it may just be unpleasant for a couple of days but if the smoke lingers, then I too get very concerned about the health impact.

#18 gracie1978

Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:18 PM

So what happened
Did you

Rewash or did the smell go away?
I have skin issues so use a fresh towel everyday, wouldn't have taken me long to get through the smokey ones :)

#19 purpleduck

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:33 PM

Lol, I put them out on the patio chairs when it was less smoky, brought them in eventually and left them in a laundry basket, reminded/nagged DS to fold some clean laundry but to leave the towels, so he folded and put away the laundry INCLUDING the towels :lol: and I guess they are in the linen closet.

The smell they had wasn’t an overpowering smell but it was there.... I’ve just gone and had a sniff.... meh, they do smell a bit different but it doesn’t appear to be contaminating the rest of the closet and we are due for a towel swap in the next couple of days. If they are just too much once I’m using them, then I’ll probably wash them but otherwise if not, they will just be used for the next week like usual.

#20 PrincessPeach

Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:03 PM

View PostMooGuru, on 22 November 2019 - 11:30 PM, said:

Do you find yourself almost completely bamboozled at the realisation that for other people the smoke haze is at worst a minor irritation?  
Like I see people outside walking and it completely blows me away that they can just do it without a second thought. Same with the towels - How is it even a question to not rewash them. Hell I probably couldn't even be in the same room as them right now. Those of you who are like "it's fine" - I'm looking at you in admiration and thinking "you're the kind of people that'll actually survive the zombie apocalypse!"

Totally.

I was having several moments of thinking one of the school mums was insane for running up to school with her daughter scooting along beside, looking like its a stroll around the shops. Meanwhile, i've driven up to school & the 50m walk to my kids classroom felt like a marathon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.