Inspiration required

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BRB

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:03 AM

With increased diet restrictions In our household for various health reasons I’ve lost my motivation to cook. I feel overwhelmed with the restrictions. I’m not good at adapting recipes and my old favourite recipes are not “allowed” anymore.
Please EB any ideas for no diary, no tomato, gluten free, no garlic or onion (garlic oil permitted for flavour and must be low salt.
Preferably not spicy for the kids.
Thank you in advance

#2 yule_maiden

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:48 AM

Checking my friendly food recipe book for you now.

#3 yule_maiden

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:49 AM

Are chives ok? GF corn and chive muffins, can add bacon if you're ok with it?

Eta: what are your usual recipes that you're over?

Edited by spr_maiden, 21 November 2019 - 09:54 AM.

#4 Living Type

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:57 AM

Sounds similar to the autoimmune protocol with those restrictions. If you google AIP recipes you should find some that don’t require any adapting

Edited by Living Type, 21 November 2019 - 09:58 AM.

#5 Falala-llyjonk

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:58 AM

That sounds really tough, OP.

Best I can think of are some good hearty soups. I've been making my own meat stocks lately (just boiling bones mostly) and they are quite tasty without adding much salt.

Hmmmm... Sine other thoughts:
Steamed fish and vegetable parcels (put fish fillet, lemon slice,  plus assortment of veggies in foil and bake/steam.

Shish kebabs with chips/sweet potato chips. Food on sticks is somehow tastier than non stick food.

Edited by Fillyjonk, 21 November 2019 - 12:01 PM.

#6 yule_maiden

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:29 PM

GF potato and leek pizza - could use garlic oil instead of pizza sauce,  and safe herbs on top to give flavour.

Fish patties.
Can you tolerate peanut or nut paste? Gado gado with safe veggies and tofu or egg.
I've got a recipe here that is baked egg in potato. Basically boil and mash potato,  grease a muffin tin,  sprinkle gf crumbs on greased part,  pat in potato and chives to make a little bowl,  crack an egg in and bake. Could be good for breakfast? Or on the side of safe veggies.  There's A good safe pear chutney recipe out there if you can tolerate it. Actually tastes good on gf toast or used in place of tomato sauce for e.g..
Buckwheat pancakes.

#7 Riotproof

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:05 PM

Thinking summer meals..

Grilled meat (mix up the seasoning yourself) with salad, including potato salads, coleslaws
Rice paper rolls with a dipping sauce. You can get gluten free soy sauce.
Avocado pasta sauce for something creamy
Thai curries
Stirfries with rice noodles or rice.

Asafoetida Powder Can be used as a sub for onion and garlic.

#8 dinosaurtrain

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:34 PM

If you usually use stock and dont want to make yoir own, Massells stock cubes are gluten free, onion free and garlic free :)

#9 BRB

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:44 PM

spr_maiden, on 21 November 2019 - 09:49 AM, said:

Are chives ok? GF corn and chive muffins, can add bacon if you're ok with it?

Eta: what are your usual recipes that you're over?

Chives are ok, muffins sound good maybe without the bacon because Of the salt.
Usual go to meals would be things like lasagne, tacos, spaghetti, casseroles, Shepard’s pie etc

Living Type, on 21 November 2019 - 09:57 AM, said:

Sounds similar to the autoimmune protocol with those restrictions. If you google AIP recipes you should find some that don’t require any adapting

Ahh I didn’t think of that.  Thank you!

#10 BRB

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:46 PM

spr_maiden, on 21 November 2019 - 12:29 PM, said:

GF potato and leek pizza - could use garlic oil instead of pizza sauce,  and safe herbs on top to give flavour.

Fish patties.
Can you tolerate peanut or nut paste? Gado gado with safe veggies and tofu or egg.
I've got a recipe here that is baked egg in potato. Basically boil and mash potato,  grease a muffin tin,  sprinkle gf crumbs on greased part,  pat in potato and chives to make a little bowl,  crack an egg in and bake. Could be good for breakfast? Or on the side of safe veggies.  There's A good safe pear chutney recipe out there if you can tolerate it. Actually tastes good on gf toast or used in place of tomato sauce for e.g..
Buckwheat pancakes.

I’m not sure if the peanut and nut paste would be high in salt but I’ll have a look. Thank you for the ideas

#11 Riotproof

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:47 PM

BRB, on 21 November 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

I’m not sure if the peanut and nut paste would be high in salt but I’ll have a look. Thank you for the ideas

Pretty sure you can get ones with no salt added.

#12 marple

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:01 PM

omelettes / corn fritters with gluten free flour and bacon on the side/ steak with chips and guacamole

Edited by marple, 21 November 2019 - 05:04 PM.

#13 Prancer is coming

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:18 PM

Meat and vegetables are your friend for most meals. Roasts.  Sometimes I will individualise the meat depending on who likes what and who can eat what. Fried rice and stir fry would work too, with rice noodles.

Is everyone on the same diet?  We have one gluten free child and another with allergies and we adapt the meal.  So we might make a pot of sauce and one might have it with spaghetti and the other with noodles.  So you could make something like a chilli con carne (without spice), serve up to the non tomato child, then add tomatoes and serve up the non spicy people and then add spices for the rest of you.

#14 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:19 PM

is leek OK? Leek and chicken soup/pasta/pies/risotto are served a lot in this house! (also due to massive food intolerances)

#15 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:28 PM

I have found everything on the garden grazer really allergy friendly. I just add meat for the meat eaters in the house.

#16 sammyv

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:57 PM

I am gluten intolerant and had to be low fodmap for a time.

I adapted some of our meals.  

Tonight we had Risotto, I used garlic infused olive oil instead of butter and garlic, gf stock (Massel brand), green part of the spring onion instead of onion.

I crumb my own schnitzel or fish with gf flour and home made gf bread crumbs.

Sitr fries, roasts, steak, are regulars here.

I made beef casserole and use leeks or green parts of the spring onion and gf stock.

Hth.

Edited by sammyv, 21 November 2019 - 06:58 PM.

#17 can'tstayaway

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:10 PM

I use the Organ rice crumbs for schnitzels and home made fish fingers and chicken nuggets even though we aren’t GF. They fry up/bake really well and stay crispy.

Serve with coleslaw, chips or whatever takes your fancy.

I don’t like GF pasta and didn’t find one that was a satisfying substitute. I also didn’t find a satisfying substitute for cheese so preferred to not have it.

I had to cut out wheat, dairy and other products while breastfeeding one of my children due to his allergies and intolerances. Luckily for me, I got to go back to my usual diet after weaning.

Is it all alliums that have to be avoided?  When we did the elimination diet, I tried to find flavour substitutes but in the end, we just got used to eating bland meals without garlic and onions. I bulked up the shepherd’s pie mix with other veggies and really fried off the mince well to get as much flavour in as possible.  

With tacos, I’d leave out the onion and tomatoes in the pick de Gallo and guacamole. I sometimes do a fish taco and when I have time, I do other salas for variety. Pineapple, cucumber (separate ones) are popular ones with my kids.

In casseroles, layer the flavour with other root vegetables likes celeriac, carrots or parsnips. It won’t be a substitute for onion and garlic but can still be tasty.  Brown the meat well, a decent red wine and use a reduced bone stock. Herbs also help with flavour.

#18 overlytired

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:29 AM

Fajitas or burritos using corn tortillas (instead of flour – you could make your own): grill some chicken, add guacamole (or just smashed avocado), back beans... whatever fillings you can eat and you can assemble them all differently based on dietary restrictions.

You can also make your own taco seasoning. Here's an example: https://vegehomecook...nion-no-garlic/ (reduce or omit the salt and adjust the qty of red pepper flakes to suit).

What about something basic like roast chicken with a side of veggies and potatoes or rice?

#19 BRB

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:48 AM

View PostNot Escapin Xmas, on 21 November 2019 - 05:19 PM, said:

is leek OK? Leek and chicken soup/pasta/pies/risotto are served a lot in this house! (also due to massive food intolerances)

Leek is ok. I forgot about leeks. Thank you for the idea

#20 BRB

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:52 AM

View PostUndergroundKelpie, on 21 November 2019 - 06:28 PM, said:

I have found everything on the garden grazer really allergy friendly. I just add meat for the meat eaters in the house.

I haven’t heard of the garden grazer, just checked it out and looks delicious. Thank you for the tip!

#21 JBH

Posted 23 November 2019 - 11:45 AM

The Monash Low fodmap recipe collection might have suitable meals:

https://www.monashfo...p-recipe-index/

Edit: there’s actually quite a lot of dairy and tomato in the recipes, but may he scope to adapt.

Would frittatas be a good option? I never put dairy in mine.

Edited by JBH, 23 November 2019 - 11:49 AM.

#22 BBC

Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:03 PM

Rice paper rolls
Sushi

#23 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:14 PM

View PostBRB, on 23 November 2019 - 08:48 AM, said:

Leek is ok. I forgot about leeks. Thank you for the idea

After reading this I got inspired and now there's a chicken and leek pie in the oven for dinner :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.