Jump to content

Victoria's code red today -- is everyone ok?


  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:04 AM

Just checking in with my fellow Victorians -- especially those nearer to me (Flaxen hope you're all good!)

I'm right in the boundary of the code red so we're staying put -- it's open where we are and the highway out has a lot of trees.

Hanging out for the cool change!

#2 Lunafreya

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:21 AM

Can we add those in NSW who are struggling with the terrible air quality? I wore a mask and all I did was walk down George Street in the city and I want a shower now.  Had to wash my face as the smoke was in my eyes.

#3 anna_garny

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:09 AM

Both of my kids are home anyway (Miss 4 recovering from a tonsillectomy yesterday, Madam 6 was vomiting overnight) but we're just going to be inside under the AC watching Disney+ today.

The wind is wicked. We have everything packed in the car, the cats are inside and will be easy to contain if we need to evacuate. Just got a notification that a small fire has started on the other side of town, but we will see.

I've been feeling uneasy and a bit sh*t for a few days, I'm hoping that it's not going to turn into a disaster.

#4 kadoodle

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:18 AM

Hot, cross and anxious. I’ve locked the cats in the bathroom so they don’t shoot through if we need to evacuate (they’re not happy), and put water out for animals first thing this morning.

#5 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:23 AM

I hope everyone stays safe.

#6 Mrs Zee

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:26 AM

View PostLunafreya, on 21 November 2019 - 09:21 AM, said:

Can we add those in NSW who are struggling with the terrible air quality? I wore a mask and all I did was walk down George Street in the city and I want a shower now.  Had to wash my face as the smoke was in my eyes.

Surely that could be a separate thread?

Stay safe everyone. We were in a catastrophic zone last week and fortunate that it passed by with only one incident that was quickly put out. I hope it's the same for everyone else today

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:38 AM

We could probably do with an 'Australian bushfires 19/20 summer' if the truth be known.


I could be a good thread for any country-close-to-city people to connect up with those who have houses they can escape to on a hot day.

#8 Etcetera

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:00 AM

The wind is ridiculous. We aren't in the code red area but not far away and won't be long I don't think.

TBH I'm scared sh*tless. We live on a bush block that wasn't maintained so there is fuel everywhere. We are stuffed if there's a fire. We'll do our best to prepare but if there's any hint of anything we'll be leaving.
We bought a caravan recently which we haven't yet used so I'm trying to figure out what to pack. I have a fire plan printed out on the wall and I'm trying not to freak the kids out (ASD and anxiety already).

I'm wondering what on earth we were thinking moving here.

#9 Kallie88

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:24 AM

I don't think there's any fire danger where we are in the south east, hope everyone else is safe though xx

#10 purplekitty

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:34 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 21 November 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

We could probably do with an 'Australian bushfires 19/20 summer' if the truth be known.


I could be a good thread for any country-close-to-city people to connect up with those who have houses they can escape to on a hot day.
That's a great idea.
I think we are in for a terrifying summer.

Brisbane atm feels like Victoria at the height of the Summer season.
The dryness,the wind and the heat is unrelenting.
The smoke haze I've seen before this is from council burnoffs,not bushfires.

I can't imagine how it feels to be in the danger areas with children and animals to protect.

#11 cardamom

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:43 AM

Today feels so eerie - hot, dry, and this fierce wind. I feel sick at the thought of what's to come this summer. Bushfire absolutely terrifies me.

#12 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:05 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 21 November 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

We could probably do with an 'Australian bushfires 19/20 summer' if the truth be known.


I could be a good thread for any country-close-to-city people to connect up with those who have houses they can escape to on a hot day.

Maybe a subforum with state threads?

#13 kim27

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:23 PM

Last night in Adelaide was hell. Think it was 35 degrees at 2am or something equally ridiculous. The crazy weather changes have triggered a migraine so I’m off work today (it started at around 2pm yesterday).

Hope everyone is okay and gets through the day.

#14 purplekitty

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:24 PM

View PostNasty Poobah, on 21 November 2019 - 12:05 PM, said:

Maybe a subforum with state threads?
There seems to always be more visibility and action in the General Forums.

#15 kadoodle

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:30 PM

I’ve just bought a heat stressed possum inside for fluids. My paddocks are blowing away.

#16 Flaxen

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:03 PM

Yes we are all good here, car is packed.
I cannot believe the wind at the moment though, it's blowing our paddocks away.
We are out of power too, est to be back on at 8pm. So no AC, no tank water, no tv phone or home internet. I get a few bars of service in the dining room on my mobile. It's quite scary as there us a grass fire 50km north of us, but this wind means it could travel very quickly.
NP, We live down the road with all the letterboxes, I'm sure you'll know that one, and it's a shocker with all overgrown trees and forest fuel galore. Our property is quite clear though.

Edited by Flaxen, 21 November 2019 - 01:05 PM.


#17 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:03 PM

View Postkadoodle, on 21 November 2019 - 12:30 PM, said:

I’ve just bought a heat stressed possum inside for fluids. My paddocks are blowing away.

You're a bit south of me -- did you get the dust storm?

Our power's out too, so no water (or fans, or cooking...) Estimated restoration is 8.30 pm. Can't imagine any line worker is getting up a power pole in this though

#18 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:10 PM

View PostFlaxen, on 21 November 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

Yes we are all good here, car is packed.
I cannot believe the wind at the moment though, it's blowing our paddocks away.
We are out of power too, est to be back on at 8pm. So no AC, no tank water, no tv phone or home internet. I get a few bars of service in the dining room on my mobile. It's quite scary as there us a grass fire 50km north of us, but this wind means it could travel very quickly.
NP, We live down the road with all the letterboxes, I'm sure you'll know that one, and it's a shocker with all overgrown trees and forest fuel galore. Our property is quite clear though.


You're quite close to me then ::): And that's a worryingly tree-filled area. Did you see the stuff in the local FB group this morning about someone slashing long grass?!

The storm front is about to hit Bendigo. It's not very wide but the radar is showing heavy rain in some of it. That Rochy grass fire is a worry though.

#19 Oriental lily

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:18 PM

All asthmatics be careful . With the cool change coming through it will be perfect for a pollen storm/event .

Stay inside with aircon on if possible.

#20 *Andi*

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:33 PM

Outer Bendigo here too, our power is supposed to be back on at 10pm. It's looking very ominous out there, and it tried to rain just before but we got hardly anything. I can't believe the trees outside are still standing in this wind!

#21 PrincessPeach

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:33 PM

View PostOriental lily, on 21 November 2019 - 01:18 PM, said:

All asthmatics be careful . With the cool change coming through it will be perfect for a pollen storm/event .

Stay inside with aircon on if possible.

Asthma Australia has issued a warning for the high likelihood of a thunderstorm asthma episode. Anyone with allergies needs to be cautious as well as asthmatics.

#22 kadoodle

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:35 PM

View PostNasty Poobah, on 21 November 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:



You're a bit south of me -- did you get the dust storm?

Our power's out too, so no water (or fans, or cooking...) Estimated restoration is 8.30 pm. Can't imagine any line worker is getting up a power pole in this though

We did. It was surreal and a bit frightening. I kept DS3 busy bathing the puppies to stop them overheating so he wouldn’t panic. Mum’s in a state, because the last dust storms like this was Ash Wednesday, and she was giving birth in the hospital carpark in the middle of it.

#23 born.a.girl

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:09 PM

Oh I was hoping those green bits on the radar were at least enough rain to settle the ground.  Obviously when they said 'light', they meant 'light'.


Eerie light in Melbourne, presumably all of the dust in the air, trying to rain here too.

#24 Flaxen

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:20 PM

View PostNasty Poobah, on 21 November 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:



You're quite close to me then ::): And that's a worryingly tree-filled area. Did you see the stuff in the local FB group this morning about someone slashing long grass?!

Yes I saw that post, what an idiot, and the person who didn't see a problem with it!

We've had a small drop of rain, not enough to register in the gauge but temps dropped a bit.

Still sick of waiting for power to come back on.

#25 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:41 PM

View PostFlaxen, on 21 November 2019 - 02:20 PM, said:



Yes I saw that post, what an idiot, and the person who didn't see a problem with it!

We've had a small drop of rain, not enough to register in the gauge but temps dropped a bit.

Still sick of waiting for power to come back on.

The person who didn't see a problem with it has form...

Only about 5 hours now till the eta for power ::(:




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

 
 
Advertisement
 

Top 5 Viewed Articles

 
Advertisement
 
 
 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.