Is this the beginning of the end for the Royal Family?

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#1 Hands Up

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:24 AM

Surely the Duke of York’s train wreck interview shows how out of touch they, and their advisers, are? I personally think that little Prince George will never be King as the Queen really carries the whole family and even she has had some missteps along the way and particularly of late.... mind you I thought that prior to recent headlines.

What do others think?

#2 seayork2002

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:41 AM

why? considering of the history of them is this really anything different to the past?

like everything they have done over time it happens, makes endless news, the next generation is born, the public run out and buy the same toothbrush they use on their kids, they do something we gasp at, then the cycle continues till the next generation since Egbert was knee high to an organic grasshopper

#3 Caribou

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:42 AM

Probably shows why Meghan and Harry distanced themselves from the royal family! They saw the train wreck coming.

Honesty though, I don't think anything will change. Andrew isn't in charge. he'll fade into obscurity. The queen is still clean and no one holds her responsible for her son's actions.

#4 born.a.girl

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:44 AM

I knew most of them were arrogant and out of touch, but I just didn't realise by how much until Andrew's interview.

The bit that staggered me is that he said 'we set extremely high standards for ourselves, and I've let the side down'.

Hang on, NOT going to stay several days with a convicted paedophile is not honourable, it's basic expected behaviour. A staggeringly high percentage of the population would find it abhorrent.

No, Andrew, you didn't slip from your extremely high standards, your standards are down in the gutter, worse than most people.  You're deluded if you think your life has been lived at a higher standard than most. It's been gutter press worthy for much of it.

He seems to think flinging the word 'honourable' in there, as an excuse for behaviour is going to cut the mustard?  Fortunately no one was fooled, not even his faithful ex.

#5 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:45 AM

I don’t think so.

They have survived this long with plenty of scandals.

No one really cares that much about Andrew, he was the spare for a bit but now he is nothing really.

Edited to clarify: I mean care as in the monarchy and who is in line not as in his actions - which are utterly disgusting.

Edited by ~J_F~, 21 November 2019 - 09:47 AM.

#6 born.a.girl

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:46 AM

To answer the question, no, worse has happened in the history of the monarchy.  It makes too much money via tourism, too.

They're like creatures in a zoo who think they are actually running the show.

#7 Apple14

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:48 AM

I don’t think it is.
Andrew really is a nobody in the grand scheme of the monarchy. I think he’ll just retire and other than turning up at weddings and Xmas, he won’t take on royal duties.
Agree with others that there have been MUCH worse things happen than the trainwreck of an interview the other night.

#8 Ozquoll

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:49 AM

Time will tell - their popularity has always had peaks and troughs 🤷. Certainly they should kick dopey sex-fiend Andy to the kerb as soon as possible.

Prince Andrew could have a wonderful future as a spokesperson for dairy products though - he could promote ice-cream with the slogan "Even richer and thicker than me!"

#9 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:50 AM

If you could skip Charles (and Andrew), that would be awesome!.

However, I think the importance/relevance of the British royal family will diminish on a global scale. The British royal family will always have a place within the United Kingdom, but they are becoming increasingly irrelevant to other countries. Much the same as other european royal families.

But while Andrew's interview was a PR disaster, I don't think it really affects the main players - The Queen, Charles, William.

He'll obviously be keeping a low profile now - maybe that was always his aim?

View PostCaribou, on 21 November 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

Probably shows why Meghan and Harry distanced themselves from the royal family! They saw the train wreck coming.
I doubt Andrew had anything to do with Harry and Meghan's decision to strike their own path. Probably more to do with the fact that Meghan was not a British citizen before marriage, and it looks like both Harry and Meghan were keen to figure out their own place in what they do for a living, in a way that makes sense for them as a couple/family.

It's not like Andrew has any real impact on the royal lineage now. And I don't think anyone took him that seriously before anyway.

#10 steppy

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:52 AM

No not at all. Andrew hasn't been considered the moral paragon of the family. He may be disgraced but nobody else is.

#11 purplekitty

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:02 AM

It will be interesting to see this play out.

Some people will be watching the response by the Royal Family to Andrew's continuing criminal drama.
This does feel a bit different to the past with social media involved.
Andrew should never have engaged and just toughed it out.

I think they will lose some supporters but they have a very loyal fan base who can't see past the pageantry,the dresses and the jewels.

#12 Freddie'sMum

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:09 AM

I don't believe the Royal Family is finished.  

The closest they got to the beginning of the end (in recent times) was when Diana died - and the Prince of Wales read the mood of the public correctly but the Queen didn't.  

I watched the whole interview with Prince Andrew and I was shocked how out of touch he is / was.  Referring to the very young girls around Epstein's many houses as simply "staff" is staggering.  How could have he NOT have thoughts when he was staying in these houses about what was going on?  It boggles the mind.

#13 BahumChchgirlbug

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:12 AM

Prince Andrew has always been a t*at.

He didn't have the nickname Randy Andy in the 70's and 80's for no reason!

#14 Team Awesome

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:13 AM

View Postpurplekitty, on 21 November 2019 - 10:02 AM, said:

It will be interesting to see this play out.

Some people will be watching the response by the Royal Family to Andrew's continuing criminal drama.
This does feel a bit different to the past with social media involved.
Andrew should never have engaged and just toughed it out.

I think they will lose some supporters but they have a very loyal fan base who can't see past the pageantry,the dresses and the jewels.

Their usual response is no response to be viewed as impartial. I would expect that to continue.

Though in more recent years I have come to realise not siding generally means those who are choosing neutrality are really siding with the oppressor/abuser by default.

#15 Lunafreya

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:17 AM

They've gone through worse. The Duke of Windsor, for instance.

#16 IamtheMumma

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:22 AM

I doubt it will be the end but I suspect that noone will be allowed to speak to the media without the "Establishment's" approval. Anyone who goes rogue, like Andrew did,  will find themselves withdrawn from public life.

I suspect Andrew's household may be shrinking, especially with his advisers. Beatrice's wedding budget may suffer as well.

#17 born.a.girl

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:26 AM

View PostIamtheMumma, on 21 November 2019 - 10:22 AM, said:

I doubt it will be the end but I suspect that noone will be allowed to speak to the media without the "Establishment's" approval. Anyone who goes rogue, like Andrew did,  will find themselves withdrawn from public life.

I suspect Andrew's household may be shrinking, especially with his advisers. Beatrice's wedding budget may suffer as well.

I believe it got the Establishment's approval. What surprised me, was that the questions weren't vetted in advance.

#18 71Cath

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:27 AM

I wish it would mean the end, but it wont.  

They are so out of touch it isn't even funny.

#19 Hands Up

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:34 AM

For me it’s not just his “regrettable” actions. It’s his out of touch response, showing how clueless they are. The firm is still letting him speak though by sending that message out about stepping down. It would have been better coming from the Queen or Buckingham Palace making clear she disapproves. Allegedly they attended church together last weekend. Who advises these people?

I do feel sorry for his kids.

#20 Lunafreya

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:36 AM

View Post71Cath, on 21 November 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

I wish it would mean the end, but it wont.  

They are so out of touch it isn't even funny.
I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush.  I approve of Charles far more these days than I used to.  He's made himself rather likable and personable.

#21 Babetty

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:50 AM

I think the monarchy will survive by focusing on the "core" - Queen, Charles, William & Kate and on to George etc.

I think it's wise for Harry & Megan to carve out a role more separate - he's so far down the line of succession that as William & Kate's kids get older he will become irrelevant so it's important to start stepping away and carving our a proper life sooner rather than later - which Andrew never did.

#22 Lunafreya

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:53 AM

Princess Margaret did, I think, and so did Princess Anne.

#23 kadoodle

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:04 AM

View PostChchgirl, on 21 November 2019 - 10:12 AM, said:

Prince Andrew has always been a t*at.

He didn't have the nickname Randy Andy in the 70's and 80's for no reason!

It sheds some light on why Sarah Ferguson moved out with the girls as they approached puberty, tbh.

#24 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:04 AM

Just seen on royal insta page he issued a statement early today about stepping away.  

It says he is stepping away from public duties with the queens permission - my take is he was told to shut the hell up by mother!

Edited by ~J_F~, 21 November 2019 - 11:05 AM.

#25 IamtheMumma

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:17 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 21 November 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

I believe it got the Establishment's approval. What surprised me, was that the questions weren't vetted in advance.

Someone will be out of a job then. What a mistake that was.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.