$ per year

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 marple

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:16 PM

im sure this has been asked before butt how much are people paying per year at govt schools. just out of interest really. my mil was a principal an hour out of sydney and asked for $50 a year, most people didnt pay apparentky. i have just got a bill for $492 for term 3 and 4 i think. its not clear. does that seem right for a state school/

#2 JomoMum

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:22 PM

This recent thread may be helpful

http://www.essential...ool-costs-2019/

#3 marple

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:26 PM

thank you. i knew there was one recentky. gosh the costs  do vary though

#4 Jingleflea

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:27 PM

I'm amazed at the variety of costs at the various public schools in Australia.

I kinda assumed they'd all be very similar, but nope.

#5 marple

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:30 PM

thank you i couldnt find it and my posting and searching has been weird all night

#6 seayork2002

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:31 PM

All our fees go for costs (books, IT, excursions, camps etc) or to the P&C

There is no 'fee' as such

#7 marple

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:43 PM

i was surprised at my mil only asking for $50 for the year but she was happy , as the prncipal, with whatever she got.

i am shocked at sa parents getting chased for debts if they dont pay school fees, someone should take that to court you cant make schooling compulsory for a child by law  and then sue the parents for not paying. Its illogical at best and hugely disenfranchising at worst.

in nsw if you dont pay - nothing happens, like nothing at all
that is as it shoukd be  -or do  i have that wrong about south aust?

#8 Jingleflea

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:49 PM

At our school in the ACT the fees are voluntary and way too few people pay them. And only $60 a year.

DD's class this year had 6 kids(out of 48) not even provide the book packs either so the teachers had to cobble together enough supplies for the students mostly out of their own money.

#9 Riotproof

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:49 PM

I think you're going to find it varies.

Our school is not a fundraising school. The P&C uses money from "voluntary" contributions to fund projects. But they are not voluntary, if you don't pay they hound you. Last year it was $150
That is on top of book fees, incursions/excursions and the classroom supply list of tissues, soap, etc.. then your own childs stationary.

#10 marple

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:50 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 21 November 2019 - 09:49 PM, said:

I think you're going to find it varies.

Our school is not a fundraising school. The P&C uses money from "voluntary" contributions to fund projects. But they are not voluntary, if you don't pay they hound you. Last year it was $150
That is on top of book fees, incursions/excursions and the classroom supply list of tissues, soap, etc.. then your own childs stationary.

goodness . do they ring you up? are you in nsw?

#11 Riotproof

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:54 PM

yes, they just send the invoice home over and over.

#12 marple

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:07 PM

oh  i see. tbh ive only paid p and c every other year over my kids schooling. never been mentioned to me as a problem

#13 SeaPrincess

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:55 PM

Our school has $60 voluntary contribution and $60/child for P&C voluntary contribution to a max of $120/family. While education is free, those contributions directly benefit my children, their friends and the school. If you can afford it, you should pay it. We can, so I paid it for all 3 before DS1 went to high school. Incursions, excursions, swimming lessons, etc, are all extra, and sit at around $200-$300 per child, depending on the year group.

I don’t know what happens if you don’t pay. The school provides info on payment rates and I think ours is over 90%.

#14 Mum of a miracle

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:18 PM

Ours was $60 for books pencils/coloured pencils text books everything that they need in the class room.

I forget what the volunteer contribution was we didn't pay this year.
And excursion were from $5-$50.

My son is in year 4 public primary school.

#15 Pocket...

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:15 AM

Our school is $60 per child voluntary contribution.  Book list so far has been $70 up to $120 from WA kindy to year 2, though unused stuff is returned and is usually ok to used for the next year.

Voluntary contribution rates are about 30% for our school.

#16 born.a.girl

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:28 AM

View Postmarple, on 21 November 2019 - 09:43 PM, said:

i was surprised at my mil only asking for $50 for the year but she was happy , as the prncipal, with whatever she got.

i am shocked at sa parents getting chased for debts if they dont pay school fees, someone should take that to court you cant make schooling compulsory for a child by law  and then sue the parents for not paying. Its illogical at best and hugely disenfranchising at worst.

in nsw if you dont pay - nothing happens, like nothing at all
that is as it shoukd be  -or do  i have that wrong about south aust?

Of course you can make something compulsory by law and make people pay for it, we do it every day in all sorts of areas.

I'm sure the SA legislation has it covered.

That said, so much for 'free education'.

#17 Julie3Girls

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:59 AM

Our public nsw high school has a $50 voluntary contribution, and then whatever fees are required for particular subjects (usually the electives). So maybe $30 for food tech for example.

The voluntary fee is not followed up on, although it does stay on your invoice.
The elective fees are compulsory - when choosing electives, parents need to sign off on notes saying they are aware of the fees, and the school retains the right to remove the child from the subject if the fee isn’t paid. Not sure of a time frame on that one?
The school does make sure there are always free options, that includes for sports etc.  and of course, financial support for families who need it.

Fees simply vary depending on the ability of people to pay, our school is considered to be in a low socio economic area, so the fees have to be low, or people simply can’t afford to pay them.

#18 Sentient Puddle

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:13 AM

Vic govt Secondary school. A grand in fees per year (excluding camps, excursions and music) and a Macbook purchade this year as well.

#19 Crazyhouseholdof6

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:00 AM

Qld public primary school here, $100 fee per child, $20 optional air conditioning levi per child, school books are over $140 per child and apps for iPads averaged $60 per child per year. Every second week they’re asking for more money for incursions or experiences it feel like too. Easily spent over $1200 this year exclusive of the iPad airs needed for each student as it is a BYOD school!!

Edited by Crazyhouseholdof6, 22 November 2019 - 09:02 AM.

#20 seayork2002

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:07 AM

to me though sure the government can pay the basics so yes we can go back to the old schooling system of kids arrive spend all day at their desks listening to a teacher just teach the basics then go home

And yes I know there are people that generally struggle with finances but I am happy to pay so kids can have extras at school.

I do not think the government should be paying for stationery, excursions, text books etc. I am pleased to pay so kids can do something different so of the $100 P&C contribution I pay 100% of that goes into the school for all children not just my own child.

It drives me batty having to remember it is take a teddy to school day, $2 is needed for a cold coin donation, it is stall day, must provide cardboard for poster day but I also don't want it stopped either

#21 Beancat

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:26 AM

$200per kid

Vic state primary school
plus excursions camps etc and laptop purchased at grade 4

I estimate its about $500 per kid per year

#22 kshy

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:52 AM

Vic Public Highschool - $475 year 7&8 plus camps, excursions, books and stationary and BYOD

#23 Apple14

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:06 AM

View PostBeancat, on 22 November 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

$200per kid

Vic state primary school
plus excursions camps etc and laptop purchased at grade 4

I estimate its about $500 per kid per year

Wow! I pay less than that for private school(primary)!

eta: that includes iPad lease, all excursions/incursions, all books etc

Edited by Apple14, 22 November 2019 - 10:09 AM.

#24 Riotproof

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:09 AM

View Postseayork2002, on 22 November 2019 - 09:07 AM, said:

to me though sure the government can pay the basics so yes we can go back to the old schooling system of kids arrive spend all day at their desks listening to a teacher just teach the basics then go home

And yes I know there are people that generally struggle with finances but I am happy to pay so kids can have extras at school.

I do not think the government should be paying for stationery, excursions, text books etc. I am pleased to pay so kids can do something different so of the $100 P&C contribution I pay 100% of that goes into the school for all children not just my own child.

It drives me batty having to remember it is take a teddy to school day, $2 is needed for a cold coin donation, it is stall day, must provide cardboard for poster day but I also don't want it stopped either

Of course, the problem with this is that some parents capacity to pay is higher than others. So, do you think that children in wealthier suburbs deserve access to stationary and all that ilk MORE than a child from a suburb with a lower economic status?

Or do you think that the government should be providing fair access to ALL students in Australia? Because that’s what I think should happen.

Also, does anyone know when it became expected that parents send in tissues, soap etc ? I went to catholic schools, so we didn’t have to, it was probably tacked on to the fees.

#25 seayork2002

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:19 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 22 November 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

Of course, the problem with this is that some parents capacity to pay is higher than others. So, do you think that children in wealthier suburbs deserve access to stationary and all that ilk MORE than a child from a suburb with a lower economic status?

Or do you think that the government should be providing fair access to ALL students in Australia? Because that’s what I think should happen.

Also, does anyone know when it became expected that parents send in tissues, soap etc ? I went to catholic schools, so we didn’t have to, it was probably tacked on to the fees.

I want all the same education for everyone but I keep on hearing (in general I mean) it should be 'free education' but what does that mean - should the government have to pay for every single thing a student needs for school?

and one school here could decide they need some things and not others another school can have another total idea of what they need at their school

so how would it all work if is really was 'free education'?

I don't have all the answers but I am yet to hear an actual idea that 100% of the schools/parents/government would agree on.

and yes we are having to provide soap and tissues for DS's school but no my parents didn't have to for mine .

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.