Parking near the opera house.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Mum of a miracle

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:06 PM

Hope this is the right section

We have a show on at the opera house in January where would be the closet parking I have no idea about Sydney so you'll have to forgive me is there parking close by we've done the touristy things around the habour and such but never driven there or parked near there.

We went to the lyric theatre this year is that close by we got a street park for that which was easy could we walk or is that like a million k's away (seriously do not know Sydney at all)

We do have a disabled parking sticker if that's any difference though in the parking stations is that free or do you still have to pay with a disabled sticker or the shops car park is that limited free parking for disabled too or is that free all day/night.

Thanks.

Edited by Mum of a miracle, 21 November 2019 - 11:07 PM.

#2 Crazyone26989

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:06 AM

Mum of a miracle, on 21 November 2019 - 11:06 PM, said:

Hope this is the right section

We have a show on at the opera house in January where would be the closet parking I have no idea about Sydney so you'll have to forgive me is there parking close by we've done the touristy things around the habour and such but never driven there or parked near there.

We went to the lyric theatre this year is that close by we got a street park for that which was easy could we walk or is that like a million k's away (seriously do not know Sydney at all)

We do have a disabled parking sticker if that's any difference though in the parking stations is that free or do you still have to pay with a disabled sticker or the shops car park is that limited free parking for disabled too or is that free all day/night.

Thanks.

There’s a Wilson parking building underneath the Opera House but I’ve not used it when something was on.

There are a bunch more car parks down in circular quay. If you look on the Wilson parking site it will tell you.

It’s way too far from the Lyric Theatre to Opera House and parking on the street is much tricker around Circular Quay.

#3 fluffybun

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:27 AM

We use the opera house carpark when visiting that part of Sydney it’s so handy! If you are going on the weekend it’s only $12 for all day parking if you book online As per PP it’s run by Wilson’s and it’s either called opera house carpark on their website or 2a Macquarie strrrt enjoy your visit!

#4 amdirel

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:45 AM

I just park in the opera house parking, it's so much easier just to drive straight there.

#5 Mumsyto2

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:04 AM

More chance of winning lotto than street parking.

There is parking underneath but get in early if a show on there. Lots of other parking stations nearby. May have to sell a kidney to finance parking fee but there are lots of them.

#6 Jersey Caramel

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:24 AM

The Wilson carpark underneath the opera house is very convenient. Make sure you book ahead for better prices.

https://www.wilsonpa...uarie-St-Sydney

ETA it has 2 blocks of about a dozen disabled parks on levels 1 and 6, but you still pay the regular parking rates.

Edited by Jersey Caramel, 22 November 2019 - 05:25 AM.

#7 IamOzgirl

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:09 AM

Yep opera house parking for the win.

I used to use it for all day parking for work. It's quiet reasonable priced. Ie the same as other early bird pricing.

#8 marple

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:21 AM

yep. park underneath. easy as. just be prepared to go around and around and around. it seems to go forever, though with a disability sticker you might be closer to the top.

#9 Lady Monteagle

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:38 AM

Came to agree - park under the Opera House itself - EXCEPT... while it's cheap during the day ($12 pre-booked I last recall), if you stay after 5pm it shoots up to like $36.  As PP said, plentiful disability parking near the entrance, but no price cut.  

If you have an evening performance, you might consider parking at the Domain, which stays cheap into the night.  It's a bit of a hike across the domain/botanical gardens, but it's a nice walk at least in the early evening.  

Also the Opera House parking can take FOREVER to get out of if you're leaving straight after a performance, along with the other thousands of audience members all leaving at the same time (and it's worse if you get disability parking near the entrance, because that's furthest from the exit).  In that case, our usual practice is to either:
- park at the Domain so we spend that time walking to the carpark rather than sitting in fumes waiting to exit the Opera House,
or
- go have a drink/fancy snack at the Opera Kitchen/Opera Bar then return to the Opera House carpark after the hordes have mostly cleared.

#10 Hands Up

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:49 AM

I just park underneath

#11 Freddie'sMum

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:06 AM

The only time I tried to park at the Opera House - it was full and we missed our show.  Maybe contact Wilson Parking before you go.

#12 MintyBiscuit

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:49 AM

Opera House parking is great, but can be a nightmare to get out of after an event is on. Another option is the Wilson at Gateway on Reiby Place, about a five minute walk from the opera house and much easier to get into and out of during busy periods. You can ore book on the Wilson parking site

#13 amdirel

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:27 AM

Oh yeah it can take forever to get out of, but for that reason we usually go for a little walk first, then go back to the car after that. A lot of people have left by that stage.

#14 dadwasathome

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:52 AM

Another for the Opera House carpark. Not worth hassling for any of the others in the city.

#15 Mum of a miracle

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:18 PM

Thank you.

If we drive park at the opera house I looked it up it was $37 so not to bad.

But had another thought probably should have thought of it first of catching a train down (I'm in Newcastle) will definitely be cheaper and don't have to rush to get our car in the parking station or out of the station.

Our show starts at 5pm and goes for 90 minutes and thinking we may want dinner afterwards and walk around circular quay or parts of the city so we have up til 11pm to catch the last train back.

Does that sound better I guess with driving we have the security of definitely having transport and driving straight home but with the train just seems easier and don't have to deal with traffic (sorry sydneysiders you guys have a lot of traffic :-D ) and we get to stick around a bit more we don't get to Sydney a lot so when we do we like to look around a bit.

Thoughts???

#16 Jersey Caramel

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:30 PM

Train is definitely a good option, much less stressful! More ecofriendly and probably cheaper too.

#17 jayskette

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:34 PM

the newcastle intercity train stops at central.
also go to train link website to check that the city circle line to circular quay isnt closed. you can always uber between central and opera house.

#18 gatheringpieces

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:43 PM

From Newcastle I'd catch the train, I hate driving in Sydney ha.

Hope you enjoy the show

#19 Lifesgood

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:03 PM

So long as you are physically mobile the train is a good option - though I question how much cheaper it is depending on how many people you are with. It’s about a 500m walk from the train station, maybe more? Nice walk so long as you are ok to do that.

#20 MarciaB

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:09 PM

Also if you are coming on a weekend - check for trackwork on the Newcastle line!

Otherwise - I think train is a good option.  Change at Central for Circular Quay and walk around.

#21 aluminium

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:22 PM

We're from N'cle.
We sometimes drive to Hornsby and catch the train in from there. Depends on how much you enjoy train travel and how near you live to a station.

https://transportnsw.info/trip#/

#22 night jasmine

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:53 PM

Is it possible to spend the night in Sydney?

It just sounds like a long way to travel for a show and dinner. The train may not work out to be cheaper, plus there’s a lot of effort with changing at central then walking to the opera house if there’s mobility issues.

We usually park under the opera house, it’s never been a problem as we book online before the event.

#23 Ivy Ivy

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:07 PM

I regularly go to the opera house for adult and kid shows and park in the opera house carpark every time.  I've never not got a spot in 20+ years of going many, many times a year.  If you book online it's cheaper.  There are lots of disabled spots near the lifts on every level.

#24 Mum of a miracle

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:15 PM

Thanks we have pension opal cards so I think it's $2.50ish each ride.
Train doesn't bother us at all we've come to Sydney a lot of times for just the day for a show so couple of hours  that doesn't bother us I can walk distance as long as it's my pace and if I need to rest I can but 500m is nothing.

Yes will definitely check track work and see if they have replacement buses if not will definitely drive.

If we spend the night that's another hundred/couple of hundred we may not have (especially since it's just after Christmas) but since we have pension opal cards it's pretty cheap thankfully.

Thanks for your replies.

Edited by Mum of a miracle, 22 November 2019 - 06:17 PM.

#25 Lifesgood

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:31 PM

Oh definitely worth getting the train then. Go nice and early, have a pre-show drink by the water and then dinner after the show. It will be lovely and relaxing catching the train. Avoid the Opera Bar. Its too noisy and crowded. Perhaps book somewhere for dinner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.