Epipen jnr shortage

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 GingerbreadWoman

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:47 PM

There is another epipen jnr shortage

https://www.allergy....r-supply-update

https://10daily.com....-sales-20191120

While the media is saying people are being restricted to purchasing one pen instead of two, I have been ringing pharmacies for the last hour and cannot find any with stock, so cannot even get one.

My DD attends childcare and they have said that once her current pen expires at the end of November, that she will not be able to attend. The supplier website and media reports aresaying the shortage is likely to continue until January.

I know there have been shortages before, does anyone know if it is possible to get a letter from a GP or pharmacist to say the current pen is still okay for a month or two after the expiry? Obviously not ideal but if we can’t buy a new one, then what else can we do?

Edited by Toddlerandme, 22 November 2019 - 01:54 PM.

#2 Riotproof

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:49 PM

I don’t know if it is. Completely sucks.

How much does your child weigh? If they exceed 22 kilos, they can be prescribed an adult epi pen.

#3 PrincessPeach

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:59 PM

Have you tried ordering online via chemist warehouse? Might have more luck with their centralised warehouses.

Not sure about the out of date letter, but its certainly worth a call to your GP.

#4 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:35 PM

Drs won't do an out of date letter.

I second the adult pen over 22kgs

#5 GingerbreadWoman

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:28 PM

Thanks for chemist warehouse suggestion PP I will try there.

She is only 19 kilos so too light for adult one.

So frustrating.

#6 Riotproof

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:35 PM

I would do a ring round, and possibly take one with a shorter expiry. Generally aim for 12 months, but it may not be possible.

#7 27plus

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:11 PM

Have the same problem. November expiry date. The chemists have the same problem. There is no stock.

We as a daycare centre buy one a jnr one "just in case". It is good practice. Maybe you can suggest this to your centre (once they are in stock)

#8 onetrick

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:36 PM

Maybe see if a parent of a child with allergies has a spare? Could you ask on a local fb page or something?

I'm so sorry that you are going through this- it must be so tough :(

#9 Silly Old Elf

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:43 PM

View Postonetrick, on 22 November 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

Maybe see if a parent of a child with allergies has a spare? Could you ask on a local fb page or something?

I'm so sorry that you are going through this- it must be so tough :(

I don’t think the centre would accept a pen without the child’s script on it.

#10 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:12 PM

View Post27plus, on 22 November 2019 - 05:11 PM, said:

We as a daycare centre buy one a jnr one "just in case". It is good practice. Maybe you can suggest this to your centre (once they are in stock)

We do too. But I don't think it is in place of the child's own, the policy says every child must have their own.
I know I feel guilty having one when there are shortages.

#11 27plus

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:15 PM

Phillips Crawford. If a child is diagnosed the family supplies one. We also have one in case there is a need for an undiagnosed child.

#12 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:41 PM

Yes but could the diagnosed child attend if their personal epipen was out of date if the centres was in date?

#13 Riotproof

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:53 PM

View PostPhillipaCrawford, on 22 November 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

Yes but could the diagnosed child attend if their personal epipen was out of date if the centres was in date?

Not really. The reason we are prescribed two is because sometimes one is not enough.

#14 27plus

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:56 PM

In our centre they could but we would hope the family would provide their own. Epi pens are one fit all. They aren't cheap and aren't ready available.

#15 PrincessPeach

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:15 PM

View PostPhillipaCrawford, on 22 November 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

Not at our community kindy - even with asthma diagnosis we can't attend unless we have our own ventolin & spacer on site.

#16 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:19 PM

Our policy says children can't  attend without their own device. We have purchased an additional as backup and yes it wasn't cheap. I just question whether a centre one covers a child not having one. I don't think it does but the OP could check with the regulatory department in her state.

#17 GingerbreadWoman

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:33 PM

Thanks all. More phone calls to more pharmacies today and I have discovered that there is some reserve stock held by the supplier and that there is a system and process to prioritise need. We should hopefully be able to get one pen.

It was just a matter of finding a lovely pharmacist who was willing to do a little bit of extra paperwork, and make a couple of phone calls to go through that process rather than put it in the too hard basket and tell me to ring somewhere else. I now have a new favourite pharmacy that I will be going to whenever possible!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.