Short card/board games for ages 12 and up

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 casper1675

Posted 23 November 2019 - 05:39 PM

Hey all. Im on the look out for short card or board games. Especially for short attention span individuals (eg. Me)

At the moment we love Exploding kittens and some of the fluxx games.
But we're looking for games that appeal to both everyone of the family.
My husband and I are looking for something else to do instead of staring at the tv. But we want games that will entertain us on our own as well as be suitable for a 12 year old.
Halp

#2 magic_marker

Posted 23 November 2019 - 05:50 PM

I've heard Pieface is a riot.

#3 cakeys_mummy

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:01 PM

We like Love Letter. Tiny little game and quick rounds but variety in how it turns out.

#4 Starflash

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:02 PM

Codenames, the original or there's a pictures version which is even more interesting!

#5 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:05 PM

Suspend. Almost a reverse Jenga.

https://www.officewo...-game-mbmnd4371

What about the five second rule game?

#6 Clementinerose

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:40 PM

Monopoly deal is popular here

#7 OceanTwentyFour

Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:01 AM

UNO Flip

#8 hunter4

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:33 AM

My son and I like to play a short game in the morning before school.  A couple of our favourites are:

Dungeon Mayhem. Based on D&D but you don't need to know anything to have fun with this.

Cat Lady is a fun cute game - it says 30 mins but we often play in 20 mins

Roll for itis a simple dice game

Zombie Diceis also fun

And the wizard Always wins is fun if you do have 30 min

#9 Etcetera

Posted 24 November 2019 - 07:52 AM

There are a heap of fantastic 2player card games.
We like Jaipur, Lost Cities, Fungi (also called Morels), Biblios.

#10 Grrrumbles

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:23 AM

Zombie Dice is great, I can maintain my enthusiasm even of tired and distracted. Love a game with minimal set up.

#11 cvbn

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:33 AM

Organ Attack is a ripper.

Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza, is also fun.

Edited by cvbn, 24 November 2019 - 08:35 AM.

#12 darcswan

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:34 AM

Telestrations - it’s like the game telephone and Pictionary. I like it because everyone is always doing something!

#13 byjingo

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:35 AM

Camel Cup is a quick paced board game.

#14 -Belinda-

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:08 AM

Sequence is about 30min board game - it is not a kids game but kids enjoy it along with us and the grandparents. can play individual or in teams which changes it too.

#15 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:12 AM

My family like Pandemic - it's a game where you have to co-operate with each other! I don't know about other people's kids but fun family games  at our place always end with someone in tears because they are losing!

#16 barrington

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:37 AM

We are currently loving bananagrams and slapzi.

#17 beccaj

Posted 24 November 2019 - 10:16 AM

Unstable Unicorns

Sequence

#18 AJPM

Posted 24 November 2019 - 07:23 PM

Sequence
Azul
Blokus
Pandemic

They all take about 20-30 minutes
Probably a bit longer for pandemic and it’s a little more complex and time consuming to learn (but worth it!).

#19 Mollyksy

Posted 24 November 2019 - 07:28 PM

Mindtrap https://www.gamesmen...HxoCB0sQAvD_BwE

Mastermind https://www.edex.com...-RoCsAEQAvD_BwE

Oldies but goodies.

#20 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:38 PM

View Postcvbn, on 24 November 2019 - 08:33 AM, said:

Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza, is also fun.
I like the sound of this one!

#21 MooGuru

Posted 25 November 2019 - 12:54 AM

Scattegories!
Scrabble
Trionimos (?) - we don't bother with scoring so not sure how complicated that gets.
Uno
Yahtzee

We've been playing lots of card games. I really enjoy what is colloquially known as "sh*thead" from my backpacking days. It's generally fast so great for those of us who don't enjoy long winded games.
By myself I play 4 aces/aces up.

#22 400

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:55 AM

No thanks!

Also seconding pandemic

#23 Ginja Ninja

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:36 AM

Raid the pantry
Unstable Unicorns
Poo
Loot
Silent but deadly
Saboteur

#24 decisionsdecisions

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:07 AM

Definitely Spot It for a short & fast paced card game, a favourite for everybody in my family.

#25 Meepy

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:57 PM

Sushi go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.